PDA

View Full Version : Too embarrassed to admit.....

Pages : [1] 2

Cormac
05-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Time to man up (or woman up!). This may have already been done on the board, but I didn't see it, so mods feel free to remove. List those DVDs, books, TV shows, CDs, etc. that you are too embarrassed to admit in public that you watch/own. I'll start. For some reason, I enjoy the song Lucky by Bif Naked and, after being forced to watch the last few episodes, I'm kinda diggin the show One Tree Hill. But thats only this last season and I think its mostly due to the nostalgic factor. I'll list more when I can think of them, but who else can step up to the plate and admit their embarrassing little secrets??? :D

wilson
05-08-2008, 01:23 PM
I really like the movie "The Princess Diaries." If it ever comes on TV, I will do my best to stop what I'm doing and watch it.
Also, I really like "The Golden Girls." So much that my current ringtone is the theme song.
I feel pretty confident in declaring myself an embarrassing secrets frontrunner.

rthomas
05-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Field of Dreams makes me cry.

EarlJam
05-08-2008, 01:42 PM
I own a DVD collection of the entire second season of the original Star Trek. And I'm going to purchase the third season soon.

Live long and prosper.

-SpockJam

riverside6
05-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Rudy and The Rookie made me cry

Also, I've watched One Tree Hill from the beginning

Rich
05-08-2008, 01:44 PM
I thought Enchanted was an excellent movie and I watch Project Runway.

hc5duke
05-08-2008, 01:46 PM
I love "Wicked Games" and "Somebody's Crying" by Chris Isaak...

wilson
05-08-2008, 01:46 PM
I thought Enchanted was an excellent movie and I watch Project Runway.

I saw Enchanted in the theater too, but I just thought it was pretty good, not great.

ugadevil
05-08-2008, 01:52 PM
I really like the movie "The Princess Diaries." If it ever comes on TV, I will do my best to stop what I'm doing and watch it.
Also, I really like "The Golden Girls." So much that my current ringtone is the theme song.
I feel pretty confident in declaring myself an embarrassing secrets frontrunner.

If you're the frontrunner, I'm chasing closely behind you. I'll just start with embarassing TV shows.

Still Standing
Reba
John & Kate plus 8
Extreme Makeover
What Not to Wear
Real Housewives of New York City
Barefoot Contessa
Prime Time Love (Deion and Pilar Sanders) <----This might actually be my favorite show right now.

I don't even want to think about embarassing movies and music.

wilson
05-08-2008, 01:59 PM
If you're the frontrunner, I'm chasing closely behind you. I'll just start with embarassing TV shows.

Still Standing
Reba
John & Kate plus 8
Extreme Makeover
What Not to Wear
Real Housewives of New York City
Barefoot Contessa
Prime Time Love (Deion and Pilar Sanders) <----This might actually be my favorite show right now.

I don't even want to think about embarassing movies and music.

I enjoy What Not to Wear too. I was for some time a big Little People, Big World fan too, but that has waned somewhat of late.

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Field of Dreams makes me cry.

Field of Dreams makes many guys cry. That's not so unusual. The end of Big Fish really gets to me. That and Saving Private Ryan.

Most embarrassing guilty pleasure: By choice, I've watched each episode of Paradise Hotel 2 this season (the 1am TV-MA version to boot).

Matches
05-08-2008, 02:01 PM
I own the Greatest Hits CD of the Bangles.

AND Roxette.

ugadevil
05-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I enjoy What Not to Wear too. I was for some time a big Little People, Big World fan too, but that has waned somewhat of late.

Completely forgot about Little People, Big World. The twin brothers crack me up.

duke74
05-08-2008, 02:10 PM
OK...with great embarrassment for a 55 year old CPA:

One Tree Hill (Despite the UNC lean - and Nathan losing his Duke ride)
Everwood
Gilmore Girls
Dawson's Creek
(Get the theme here?)

What Not to Wear (recent discovery)

Any Hugh Grant romantic/comedy (no cracks here). In chron order:
Four Weddings...(except Andie...ouch)
Notting Hill (my favorite movie of all.."I'm just girl...standing in front of a boy...asking him to love her" --LOVE that scene)
Love Actually (gets better and better - esp Keira Knightley at the doorway scene, and Lucia Moniz)
Music and Lyrics (Drew B is cute as heck here)

Everything but the Girl - Have all their CDs..from folk-rock to dance to acoustic

snowdenscold
05-08-2008, 02:11 PM
I went out and saw Definitely, Maybe in theaters. And I enjoyed it.

duke74
05-08-2008, 02:16 PM
I went out and saw Definitely, Maybe in theaters. And I enjoyed it.

I think that was made (produced) by the same team as Notting Hill and Love Actually. See above post ..Thus, I'm sure I'll love it (despite Ryan Reynolds)

BlueDevilBaby
05-08-2008, 02:17 PM
I own the Lassie DVD collection for the TV shows - I cry every time I watch one or a movie. I love that darn dog.

Cormac
05-08-2008, 02:31 PM
I love the show Psych, I'm not sure if that counts or not though. I enjoy Moonlight and Jon and Kate Plus 8 has been known to make me laugh every now and then. I own the movie Wrong Turn. Yes I know its horrible, but it makes fun of West Virginia, and having lived right across the river in Ohio, it makes me laugh. I'm excited to see the movie Wall-E, need to talk my g/f or her nephews into seeing that so I have an excuse! I kind of enjoyed the movie the Family Stone too.

blublood
05-08-2008, 02:38 PM
I enjoy the song "See You Again" by Miley Cyrus and I am not 14.

Also, this isn't really embarrassing because it was an incredible movie - but on the theme of being affected by stuff targeted to the opposite sex - I sobbed helplessly through "Friday Night Lights."

billybreen
05-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Top this, people. Sweet Home Alabama made me cry.

2535Miles
05-08-2008, 03:10 PM
I lose my stuff when I see a father crying on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.

My most embarrassing movies would be American Pie and American Pie 2.
My most embarrassing music would be Foreigner "I Want To Know What Love Is".

rthomas
05-08-2008, 03:11 PM

Whoa, I would never admit to that.

EarlJam
05-08-2008, 03:17 PM
In Rocky III, when Adrian comes out of her coma, and Rocky tells her he won't do the fight, then she asks Rocky to get close to her so she can tell him something, then she says, "Win."

Rocky: What?

Adrian, smiling: Win!

Then the bell strikes and the music comes in.

That can make and has made an EarlJam cry.

The series, even if it became somewhat cheesy, often communicates a very, very true message: The importance, value and effectiveness of having your significant other, the one you love with all your heart and soul, truly backing you up and believing in you.

-EarlJam, who when he was a kid, got with another neighbor and built a boxing ring in the backyard, practiced a skit, and invited the neighbors over one night to watch the "show."

EarlJam
05-08-2008, 03:18 PM

Pffffffffffffffft! Bwaaaa! Ha! Haaaaaaaaaaa!

What a LOSER!

-EJ

P.S. Just kidding, of course!

billybreen
05-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Whoa, I would never admit to that.

I'm a dog person. The scene at the bloodhound cemetery kills me every time.

snowdenscold
05-08-2008, 03:22 PM
I think that was made (produced) by the same team as Notting Hill and Love Actually. See above post ..Thus, I'm sure I'll love it (despite Ryan Reynolds)

Oh, those two are the only two romantic comedies I really enjoy, so that makes sense.

But mainly the idea of Ryan Reynolds playing Abagail Breslin's dad intrigued me to no end for some reason. Oh, and the fact that Isla Fisher was absolutely gorgeous / cute.

Oh, and just to add to my list - Gosford Park always makes me cry at the end.

duke74
05-08-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm a dog person. The scene at the bloodhound cemetery kills me every time.

The death of Will Smith's Shepard (Sam) in "I am Legend" got to me. Immediately hated the movie.

ugadevil
05-08-2008, 03:29 PM

Good Ole' Melanie Smooter. Fun trivia fact...The scene where she goes to the glass shop was actually shot right beside my church in Starr's Mill, Georgia. In the background of some of the shots, you can see the old chapel. The cast/crew used our buildings and parking lots to set everything up. Fun movie.

billybreen
05-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Pffffffffffffffft! Bwaaaa! Ha! Haaaaaaaaaaa!

What a LOSER!

-EJ

P.S. Just kidding, of course!

That was pretty much my wife's reaction.

Curious whether anyone will top that one. If not, I think we know who here is most secure in his own skin.

billybreen
05-08-2008, 03:30 PM
The death of Will Smith's Shepard (Sam) in "I am Legend" got to me. Immediately hated the movie.

I was tipped off by our own Jason Evans in advance, and I'll never see that movie for exactly that reason.

blublood
05-08-2008, 03:31 PM

Wait, what? How?? :) I can't even remember any affecting scenes from this movie beyond Reese Witherspoon crying about her miscarriage.

throatybeard
05-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Bif Naked's real surname is Torbert.

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-08-2008, 03:36 PM

For a moment, I thought you were a big Skynyrd fan.

duke74
05-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Oh, those two are the only two romantic comedies I really enjoy, so that makes sense.

But mainly the idea of Ryan Reynolds playing Abagail Breslin's dad intrigued me to no end for some reason. Oh, and the fact that Isla Fisher was absolutely gorgeous / cute.

Oh, and just to add to my list - Gosford Park always makes me cry at the end.

A younger Hugh Grant would work better as far as I'm concerned, but that's not a reality. I agree re Isla (see "Wedding Crashers", for example), but I really have always liked Rachel Weisz, myself. (See "About a Boy" - also a HG movie, but not a favorite - the kid's just ANNOYING)

billybreen
05-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Wait, what? How?? :) I can't even remember any affecting scenes from this movie beyond Reese Witherspoon crying about her miscarriage.

See reply #24 (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=145867&postcount=25).

EarlJam
05-08-2008, 03:49 PM
That was pretty much my wife's reaction.

Curious whether anyone will top that one. If not, I think we know who here is most secure in his own skin.

Well spun BillyBreen!

It's all about the spin! I had a date over last year and we watched, "We are Marshall." I adimit, I tried to hold it back but I got choked up several times.

The date was really cool about. Really, really cool about it. And I, in turn, thought that was cool.

Seriously, the tears were quite genuine.

I also cried/got choked up, when I read parts of "The Five People You Meet in Heaven."

As I've gotten older, I've definitely gotten more sensitive (when it comes to tearjerkers, empathy, etc.), and to BillyBreen's point, I'm more secure about it.

-TearJam

bjornolf
05-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Okay, I only cry at movies where people sacrifice themselves against impossible odds/situations. Examples of movies that make me cry like a baby EVERY time I watch them:

Gladiator
Braveheart
Glory

Shows I like that are at least semi-embarrassing:

The O.C. (I actually got my wife INTO this one)
Veronica Mars
Las Vegas (worst show ending ever!)
Grey's Anatomy
Supernatural
Speedracer: The Next Generation (although I do only watch it with my kids)
Ugly Betty (although I will only watch it with the wife)
Moonlight (but I love anything with vampires, like Kindred the Embraced)
The Batman
Teen Titans
Anything WWE (it's like the ultimate male soap opera: action, violence, blood, attractive women, and the acting's better than most soaps)
NASCAR
Desperate Housewives

Is it embarrassing that I really want the Psych theme song for my iPod?

I can never show my face here again, can I? :o

ugadevil
05-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Anything WWE (it's like the ultimate male soap opera: action, violence, blood, attractive women, and the acting's better than most soaps)

I was wondering if anyone would claim this one. Are you a member of the Raw fan nation?

OldPhiKap
05-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I am a big audiophile, so this is both embarassing and confusing to me:

I don't get what the big deal is about Radiohead. Nor do I think Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is even listenable even though I like other Wilco stuff. Do I just not get it?

bdh21
05-08-2008, 04:06 PM
If I flip to Cruel Intentions, I have to watch to the end.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Does no one else watch "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" every time it's on? Here, let's put a little Windex on that.

ugadevil
05-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Does no one else watch "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" every time it's on? Here, let's put a little Windex on that.

Oh snap, I didn't know that's an embarassing one to admit. I'm always down for watching that. It reminds me of my own family, even though we're Italian. "This cake has a hole on it."

blublood
05-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Oh snap, I didn't know that's an embarassing one to admit. I'm always down for watching that. It reminds me of my own family, even though we're Italian. "This cake has a hole on it."

"You come here and you do not even ask permission to date my daughter."
"Alright, sir, may I please I date your daughter?"
(Pause. Incredulous face.) "No!"

EarlJam
05-08-2008, 04:41 PM
I like ABBA and have their Greatest Hits CD.

-Take a Chance on EarlJam

MrBisonDevil
05-08-2008, 04:45 PM
One of my favorite songs of all time: Dancing Queen by ABBA
I dare you to laugh at me! :mad:

Edit: A coworker, who is my poker buddy, just caught me walking down the hallway singing this song. He snickered at me while asking: "Dancing Queen?" :mad:

micah75
05-08-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm a sucker for the Lockup shows on MSNBC. Also Jail and Cops. I can't explain it, maybe it's just a fascination with people entering utter survival mode while behind bars.

I cried when Old Yeller died. I can probably be forgiven though, as I was only 5 years old at the time when Dad took the family to the Drive-In. But I did get a big laugh when Bill Murray, in the movie Stripes, asked his fellow soldiers if they cried.

micah75
05-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Well, speaking of ABBA, I got goosebumps and teared up one time when the song was played at the opening of a Dodger's telecast in '81 during Fernando-mania, while he was taking the mound.

ugadevil
05-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Did anyone else buy and like this album?

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/618aOzOaUBL._AA240_.jpg

No one else? Uhhhhhh...me neither.

duke74
05-08-2008, 04:56 PM

Brittney Spears? Cameron Diaz? Madonna (nah)

Obtuse references...sorry all.

EarlJam
05-08-2008, 05:07 PM

No. NO. Shirt no! I believe you'd get your arse kicked for buying an album like that.

-EarlJam (I'm referencing a movie with my post. For a custom nipple ring, name that movie!)

billybreen
05-08-2008, 05:08 PM
No. NO. Shirt no! I believe you'd get your arse kicked for buying an album like that.

-EarlJam (I'm referencing a movie with my post. For a custom nipple ring, name that movie!)

Office Space. Dork.

duke74
05-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Office Space. Dork.

Impressive

EarlJam
05-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Office Space. Dork.

Dork?

Just for that you gets no custom nipple ring!

-EarlJam

DukePA
05-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Surely I win the award for the lamest guilty pleasure: I adore The Bachelor. Don't know why, but that stupid show just cracks me up. By the way, 2 of the previous bachelors are Dukies.

billybreen
05-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Dork?

Just for that you gets no custom nipple ring!

-EarlJam

Dork for thinking this esteemed group wouldn't knock that out quickly.

YmoBeThere
05-08-2008, 06:38 PM
I have the lamest music selections ever...well except for a friend from India.

wilson
05-08-2008, 06:39 PM

I don't get what the big deal is about Radiohead. Nor do I think Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is even listenable even though I like other Wilco stuff. Do I just not get it?

Take heart. Wilco is one of my favorite bands, and while I find YHF pretty good, I think it's definitely overrated.

wilson
05-08-2008, 06:40 PM

Edit: A coworker, who is my poker buddy, just caught me walking down the hallway singing this song. He snickered at me while asking: "Dancing Queen?" :mad:

Dude, I freaking love that song too. All things ABBA, for that matter.

hamster
05-08-2008, 07:58 PM
milli vanilli
vanilla ice
and if that isn't bad enough - the real housewives of new york city (and the best part is that I talk to the characters on the tv. omg she totally didnt!)

ugadevil
05-08-2008, 08:03 PM
vanilla ice
and if that isn't bad enough - the real housewives of new york city (and the best part is that I talk to the characters on the tv. omg she totally didnt!)

Once again, people are claiming things as embarassing that I tend to be proud of. I never realized I shouldn't tell people I like Vanilla Ice:eek:

I'm with you on The Housewives of the NYC. I love Bethany!

alteran
05-08-2008, 08:09 PM

Turn it up!!!

alteran
05-08-2008, 08:12 PM
For a moment, I thought you were a big Skynyrd fan.
Same goof here. Mental note-- read whole thread before responding.

Channing
05-08-2008, 08:22 PM
while I don't watch it religiously, I am a fan of beauty and the geek.

alteran
05-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Well, I'm pretty embarrassed that I clicked that "celebrities without makeup" ad link that's been cycling a lot on this thread. Adding to the humiliation is that there AREN'T ANY!

Musicwise, I'm a combination of embarrassed and proud of my dorky Electric Light Orchestra music collection.

Moviewise, some friends came over last weekend and saw that I had the movie "Cocktail." I had to swear that my wife got it.

They gave me a hard time about "Roadhouse" too, but that movie actually crosses over from bad/embarrassing to camp.

Lavabe
05-08-2008, 08:34 PM
I hate to admit this, but I played on my iTouch "Inner City Pressure" not more than several songs after I had listened to the Pet Shop Boys' "West End Girls."

My shuffle has gone through Enya, Pink Martini, and Wendy Woo.

I too enjoy "What Not to Wear." Nick Arojo is the best.

Cheers,
Lavabe

ArkieDukie
05-08-2008, 08:42 PM

Uhh, I have that one. And I went to the concert. :o

Full disclosure: I went with my younger sister, who took her (at the time) 13 yr old sister-in-law. Nothing like a concert full of screaming pre-teens.

duke74
05-08-2008, 08:51 PM
I hate to admit this, but I played on my iTouch "Inner City Pressure" not more than several songs after I had listened to the Pet Shop Boys' "West End Girls."

My shuffle has gone through Enya, Pink Martini, and Wendy Woo.

I too enjoy "What Not to Wear." Nick Arojo is the best.

Cheers,
Lavabe

I prefer Carmidy (sp?)...although Stacy looks like a LOT of cute girls I grew up with in Queens....with the same attitude and mouth.

billybreen
05-08-2008, 09:15 PM

I _love_ both songs.

Channing
05-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Also (not sure if this is embarassing - I dont think so!) - I really like music from the 50s and 60s (I guess early Rock and Rolland Doo Wop). I listen to it on Pandora all the time.

Some of my favorites:

Mr. Bassman (Johnny Cymbal) (one of the most fun songs I have ever heard)
Yakety Yak
Shout Shout (Ernie Maresca)
The Twist (Hank Ballard)
Don't Be Cruel (Elvis)
Love Me All The Time (The Shephard Sisters)

dkbaseball
05-08-2008, 09:51 PM
My parents' music -- Broadway show tunes, Sinatra, even, god help me, Lawrence Welk. This is very difficult. In high school I did the RCAF 5BX calisthenics program each evening to the accompaniment of Broadway recordings, and nowadays I hiss and sneer like an old fogey at the rap played in weight rooms. Most difficult of all -- and not another soul has ever known this -- in 1971, when we were in Atlanta playing Ga. Tech and the rest of the team was off properly raising hell at the underground or some such place, I snuck over to the Fox Theater to watch My Fair Lady.

As God is my witness, I'm a heterosexual. In fact, confessing to the Broadway penchant proved rather surprisingly a few years back to be an excellent (um, door) opener with the fairer sex.

YmoBeThere
05-08-2008, 09:55 PM
As God is my witness, I'm a heterosexual. In fact, confessing to the Broadway penchant proved rather surprisingly a few years back to be an excellent (um, door) opener with the fairer sex.

My like for Broadway and opera has never been a hindrance with the fairer sex...now if I could only dance.

OldPhiKap
05-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Take heart. Wilco is one of my favorite bands, and while I find YHF pretty good, I think it's definitely overrated.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I love Uncle Tupelo, and the first three or four Wilco albums. Love the two Mermaid Avenue albums with Billy Bragg. But I just don't get YHT.

Can anyone help me on what I should be liking about Radiohead? I've listened to both the new CD/download/album and OK Computer. I work with folks who think this band is Godhead. I don't get it.

Johnboy
05-08-2008, 10:41 PM

I forced myself to listen to YHF and after about ten times through, I started to grok (and dig) it. It wasn't easy, though.

I have (and mostly really like) every studio album from Coldplay and I, too, don't understand the big deal about Radiohead either. I am embarrassed about both these things.

Johnboy
05-08-2008, 10:46 PM

I've been caught singing along (in falsetto) to "I'm Just a Girl" (No Doubt) at the top of my lungs.

DevilAlumna
05-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Every day after school in 4th grade, for like 2 months straight, I watched "Breakfast Club." I think I can still quote significant chunks of dialog.

I've gotten hooked on watching the AMA Superbike racing series. (I like booing the Jordan Suzuki team riders.)

I like watching the 4x4 truck building shows on Extreme.

I have a crush on a younger Christopher Plummer (mainly from his "Sound of Music" work, but he aged well.)

I've never seen a full episode of the original star trek.

billybreen
05-08-2008, 11:59 PM
I've never seen a full episode of the original star trek.

Same, but I'm actually kinda perversely proud of that.

dukemomLA
05-09-2008, 03:28 AM
I won't add Shawshank Redeption or Silence of the Lambs to this list since they are GREAT flicks.

But...whenver I channel surf, if I find the following films I end up watching them to the end (even though I can mouth all dialogue verbatim):

Pretty Woman
Grease
Dirty Dancing
Animal House
Holy Grail
Mystic Pizza
Terms of Endearment
Beaches
Never Cry Wolf
Witness
Speed
Chorus Line
...........etc.

Cormac
05-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Bif Naked's real surname is Torbert.

Good find!! I did not know her real name. Love me some Cormac McCarthy (obviously). I recommend any and all of his books, as long as you can stomach some heavy stuff!

This is not something I am embarrassed to admit liking! Perhaps America's greatest living author? Currently reading Child of God, one of his lesser known works, but still amazing!

Jfrosh
05-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Movies no matter how many times I watch, I always cry at the end.
Mr. Hollands Opus
Rudy
Field of Dreams
Glory

Most embarrasing secret:
I used to own two Debbie Gibson Albums.

wilson
05-09-2008, 09:58 AM
I've been caught singing along (in falsetto) to "I'm Just a Girl" (No Doubt) at the top of my lungs.

I do the same to "Respect," in traffic, with the windows down. And I'm friggin' proud of it.

EarlJam
05-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Movies no matter how many times I watch, I always cry at the end.
Mr. Hollands Opus
Rudy
Field of Dreams
Glory

Most embarrasing secret:

Glory is an OUTSTANDING movie.

When Denzel picks up the flag at the end during the charge, I can get choked up; then of course, there's the famous "lashes" scene.

Just a great movie.

bjornolf
05-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Glory is an OUTSTANDING movie.

When Denzel picks up the flag at the end during the charge, I can get choked up; then of course, there's the famous "lashes" scene.

Just a great movie.

I get no credit for listing that one back on page 2 of this thread? Who are you people? :eek:

And I love Enya too. It's not really embarrassing unless you own the stuff from when she was part of clanad. Or the post enya clanad stuff, which I also own. It's some gaelic family thing, where as members move on, younger ones just step in. Clanad's been around forever.

DukieInKansas
05-09-2008, 02:49 PM
I like Arnold Schwartzenegger (sp?) films.

I don't know half of the musical artists listed in this thread.

I haven't ever seen "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" - either version, or read the book. (Of course, now it is a point of honor and I try to avoid seeing it.)

hamster
05-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Once again, people are claiming things as embarassing that I tend to be proud of. I never realized I shouldn't tell people I like Vanilla Ice:eek:

I'm with you on The Housewives of the NYC. I love Bethany!

I've gotten a few strange looks for singing along with Vanilla Ice. A1A Beach Front Avenue.

My favorite housewife is Luann. But the better question is, which housewife are (http://www.bravotv.com/Real_Housewives_NYC/season/1/games/quiz/index.php) you? I am apparently Jill, which I have to admit is not entirely inaccurate. (Is that another embarrassing admission?)

Shammrog
05-09-2008, 03:28 PM
I like hard chick rock - Heart, Lita Ford, even... Vixen.

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-09-2008, 03:30 PM
I like Arnold Schwartzenegger (sp?) films.

There is nothing shameful about having watched each Arnold movie. Except maybe 'Hercules Goes Bananas' and 'Pumping Iron' (those are not worth it, trust me)

I once counted each bad guy killed in Commando. If I remember correctly, Arnie took out about 96 dudes in that one.

Shammrog
05-09-2008, 03:39 PM
There is nothing shameful about having watched each Arnold movie. Except maybe 'Hercules Goes Bananas' and 'Pumping Iron' (those are not worth it, trust me)

I once counted each bad guy killed in Commando. If I remember correctly, Arnie took out about 96 dudes in that one.

No! No! No! Pumping Iron is a classic; if you are interested in bodybuilding. It is actually very interesting - at the time, it helped move bodybuilding, and more generally weight training of all types, from the fringe into the mainstream public eye.

Shammrog
05-09-2008, 03:40 PM

And you gotta give Carl Weathers some love from that one, too - the handshake from the beginning; with he and Arnold's biceps reaching into the statosphere - was bad***. (Like Nate.)

DukieInKansas
05-09-2008, 03:41 PM

Should I be embarrassed as an Arnold fan that I haven't seen those 2? I did watch Commando and either Predator or Terminator back to back once - and then went to play soccer. The team offered an intervention. :)

Favorite line from Commando - "Him? I let him go." after holding a bad guy over a cliff by the ankle.

billybreen
05-09-2008, 03:41 PM
And you gotta give Carl Weathers some love from that one, too - the handshake from the beginning; with he and Arnold's biceps reaching into the statosphere - was bad***. (Like Nate.)

Didn't the same thing happen in Predator?

Shammrog
05-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Didn't the same thing happen in Predator?

You know what? - you are right. It was Predator, not Commando. Commando was the one with the pre-pubescent Alyssa Milano.

For the Arnold-in-his-Prime-Holy-Trapezius! view, look at the Conan movies. WOW!

Bostondevil
05-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Truly embarrassing, I have a copy of Fleetwood Mac's Rumors. I don't know how, I would never give someone money for that but there it is, in my house. What's perhaps even more embarrassing is that I haven't chucked it into the trash. I guess I think maybe whoever left it in my possession may show up and ask for it back. I've had it for over 20 years. I've moved it several times.

In college, I slept out for Duran Duran tickets. I don't really find that embarrassing but some of you might be embarrassed for me.

Duke4Ever32
05-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Truly embarrassing, I have a copy of Fleetwood Mac's Rumors. I don't know how, I would never give someone money for that but there it is, in my house. What's perhaps even more embarrassing is that I haven't chucked it into the trash. I guess I think maybe whoever left it in my possession may show up and ask for it back. I've had it for over 20 years. I've moved it several times.

In college, I slept out for Duran Duran tickets. I don't really find that embarrassing but some of you might be embarrassed for me.

Well, I have the Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" CD also. I even lost it once, and couldn't stand to be without it so I bought it again. And before CDs came out, I had my sister's tape of it. AND I'm going to see Duran Duran next Sunday night in Orlando.

blublood
05-09-2008, 04:46 PM
On the subject of embarrassing music that you sing in the car: I am a 30-ish Anglo-American woman driving a sedan. Yet when "Get Low" comes on the radio, I find myself singing almost involuntarily, "Apple bottom jeans, the BOOTS with the furrrr... got the whole club lookin' at herrrr..." I mean, for God's sake, I'm not cool anymore. Am I going to end up as a white-haired granny still getting crunk to Lil' John in my Oldsmobile?

ugadevil
05-09-2008, 04:57 PM

My favorite Arnold movie is Jingle All the Way.

DukePA
05-09-2008, 05:01 PM
On the subject of embarrassing music that you sing in the car: I am a 30-ish Anglo-American woman driving a sedan. Yet when "Get Low" comes on the radio, I find myself singing almost involuntarily, "Apple bottom jeans, the BOOTS with the furrrr... got the whole club lookin' at herrrr..." I mean, for God's sake, I'm not cool anymore. Am I going to end up as a white-haired granny still getting crunk to Lil' John in my Oldsmobile?

That's awesome!! I am seriously not cool anymore and find myself shakin' it to "Don't cha wish your girlfriend was a freak like me!" I love that song despite the fact that I cannot begin to relate to it at all, especially given the fact that I'm in my upper 40's :o.

ugadevil
05-09-2008, 05:05 PM
I REALLY like the song on the Mac commerical for the Air Mac. It's "New Soul" by Yael Naim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YUxbDEPFiM).

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Should I be embarrassed as an Arnold fan that I haven't seen those 2? I did watch Commando and either Predator or Terminator back to back once - and then went to play soccer. The team offered an intervention. :)

Favorite line from Commando - "Him? I let him go." after holding a bad guy over a cliff by the ankle.

No, I'm very serious in saying you don't need to see them (unless you're into body building)

"I eat Green Berets for breakfast. And right now, I'm very hungry!" Commando has the best lines. I think I need to break out the DVD now.

Indoor66
05-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Also (not sure if this is embarassing - I dont think so!) - I really like music from the 50s and 60s (I guess early Rock and Rolland Doo Wop). I listen to it on Pandora all the time.

Some of my favorites:

Mr. Bassman (Johnny Cymbal) (one of the most fun songs I have ever heard)
Yakety Yak
Shout Shout (Ernie Maresca)
The Twist (Hank Ballard)
Don't Be Cruel (Elvis)
Love Me All The Time (The Shephard Sisters)

Wasn't The Twist done by Chubby Checker (whose name was Earnest Bass and he is the father of Misty Bass Williams) and Yakety Yak, Don't Come Back was by The Coasters.

dball
05-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Wasn't The Twist done by Chubby Checker (whose name was Earnest Bass and he is the father of Misty Bass Williams) and Yakety Yak, Don't Come Back was by The Coasters.

Chubby's version is nearly a note-for-note copy of Hank Ballard and the Midnighters version. Ballard's version was the B side of a sappy R&B hit called "Teardrops On Your Letter". Hank is probably better known for his version of "Kansas City" (but Wilbert Harrison had bigger pop version), "Finger Poppin' Time" and "Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go."

wilson
05-10-2008, 12:14 AM
I haven't ever seen "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" - either version, or read the book. (Of course, now it is a point of honor and I try to avoid seeing it.)

There's nothing honorable about that. Get with the program.

wilson
05-10-2008, 12:16 AM

Well, I have the Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" CD also. I even lost it once, and couldn't stand to be without it so I bought it again. And before CDs came out, I had my sister's tape of it. AND I'm going to see Duran Duran next Sunday night in Orlando.

When I strike it semi-rich and buy a minor league baseball team, I'm kicking off the wilson era with Fleetwood Mac Demolition Night. You're all invited.

DukePA
05-10-2008, 10:31 AM
When I strike it semi-rich and buy a minor league baseball team, I'm kicking off the wilson era with Fleetwood Mac Demolition Night. You're all invited.

Let me know when that happens and I'll join you. Fleetwood Mac was very popular when I was in high school and I just couldn't get into their music despite the fact that most of my friends were fanatics.

Lavabe
05-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Most embarrasing secret:

At least they're not albums from Tiffany or Ace of Base...;)

... and NO, I do NOT have albums from those two.:mad:

Now about Juice Newton... :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Lavabe

ArkieDukie
05-10-2008, 10:51 AM

... and NO, I do NOT have albums from those two.

Now about Juice Newton...
Cheers,
Lavabe

I used to have an Ace of Base album, but then I noticed that all their songs sound EXACTLY THE SAME. :eek: Guess you could say that I saw the sign. :o :D

Channing
05-10-2008, 04:00 PM
No! No! No! Pumping Iron is a classic; if you are interested in bodybuilding. It is actually very interesting - at the time, it helped move bodybuilding, and more generally weight training of all types, from the fringe into the mainstream public eye.

Pumping Iron has one of the most absurd, ridiculous, inappropriate, scratch your head and say "huh..." quotes of all time. For propriety and decency reasons I won't publish it here. Anyone who remembers the movie I'm sure remembers the quote - about feeling the burn in the muscle, or "the pump" as Arnold describes it.

wilson
05-11-2008, 10:59 AM
I forgot to mention...I saw the movie 'Center Stage' in the theater, and I continue to thoroughly enjoy it.

Shammrog
05-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Pumping Iron has one of the most absurd, ridiculous, inappropriate, scratch your head and say "huh..." quotes of all time. For propriety and decency reasons I won't publish it here. Anyone who remembers the movie I'm sure remembers the quote - about feeling the burn in the muscle, or "the pump" as Arnold describes it.

Oh, I agree. But that's part of what sometimes makes things entertaining. :)

captmojo
05-11-2008, 11:27 AM
............that I read all these and have nothing to add. :o

devildeac
05-11-2008, 11:34 AM

you could always claim to be EJ's mother;) :o :D ...(refers to old discussion somewhere on the longest thread)

captmojo
05-11-2008, 11:37 AM
you could always claim to be EJ's mother;) :o :D ...(refers to old discussion somewhere on the longest thread)

If he only had my guidance.............

:eek: Nah, I couldn't do that to him.

Lavabe
05-11-2008, 04:51 PM

You could always talk about having 13 pillows on your bed ... ;)

bjornolf
05-11-2008, 05:55 PM
...but I'm just curious what everyone thinks about this:

Should I be embarrassed that I'm 32 years old and I play more video games than my kids, or that I've read or viewed and enjoyed all the Harry Potter books and movies NOT screening them for the kids, but for my own enjoyment (since my kids won't be old enough to read them for another almost 10 years)? :o Thinking about it does make me feel a little embarrassed.

ArkieDukie
05-11-2008, 07:07 PM

Should I be embarrassed that I'm 32 years old and I play more video games than my kids, or that I've read or viewed and enjoyed all the Harry Potter books and movies NOT screening them for the kids, but for my own enjoyment (since my kids won't be old enough to read them for another almost 10 years)? :o Thinking about it does make me feel a little embarrassed.

If you should be embarrassed by this, then I should, too. I'm older than you and have no kids, but I have read all the Harry Potter books and own all of the movies. I also play some video games (I am a big Zelda fan).

Personally, I think that the Harry Potter books are great. I know lots of adults that read and enjoy them.

SouthgateWindsor
05-12-2008, 08:26 AM
I just downloaded the pilot of Gossip Girl. :o

Cormac
05-12-2008, 09:13 AM
.....that I take pride in the fact that this thread has gotten long enough for the "Last Page" icon to appear??? I think its the first time this has happened to one of my threads on here, woohoo! :D

Jfrosh
05-12-2008, 09:30 AM

... and NO, I do NOT have albums from those two.:mad:

Now about Juice Newton... :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Lavabe

Oooh and I also had a Rick Springfield Album. I really did wish I had Jessie's Girl.

EarlJam
05-12-2008, 09:47 AM
I owned a Pulsar doll....

Hey, that toy rocked in the 80s. You could press a button in his back and see his heart beat, lungs expand, and blood flow throughout the torso.

Also, you could open up his face and put a colorful plastic disk in his head. This gave him some kind of super power, I think.

Now that I think about it. What the HELL!?

-EarlJam

glutton
05-12-2008, 03:50 PM
I wonder if the embarrassment is a guy thing? I'm thoroughly proud of the awesomely bad movies, tv, and music I enjoy. I actually made a mix CD entitled "songs that are embarrassing to listen to with your windows down"- because I find it's liberating to embrace your inner bad taste and bop along to some classic milli vanilli or new kids on the block, or sing a journey or chicago ballad at the top of your lungs.

anyway, tv shows- 90210, the OC, real world (and all related reunions and challenges)

movies- drumline, bring it on, cruel intentions, you got served, center stage. I'm a sucker for dance-themed movies, no matter how awful they are. and when drumline comes on tv (which it does every couple of weeks), I watch it until the end. even though I own it.

music- well, anything I listened to growing up (80s-90s) I still like. that includes the standard belinda carlisle/richard marx/madonna phase, the hair band years (warrant, whitesnake, skid row, etc), 90s R&B like bobby brown and bell biv devoe, and finally, the late 90s boy band era. I just dug out my favorite def leppard album and put it into the rotation last week. good stuff.

OldPhiKap
05-12-2008, 04:04 PM
I actually think Living La Vida Loca is kind of a groovy song.

bundabergdevil
09-27-2023, 04:55 PM
Wow!!! What a callback in POTUS just now! Really impressive!

rasputin
09-27-2023, 04:57 PM
I own a DVD collection of the entire second season of the original Star Trek. And I'm going to purchase the third season soon.

Live long and prosper.

-SpockJam

I have a Blu-ray set of all three seasons of TOS, with enhanced graphics. It's awesome. I'm not embarrassed in the least, however.

CameronBornAndBred
09-27-2023, 05:06 PM
I have a Blu-ray set of all three seasons of TOS, with enhanced graphics. It's awesome. I'm not embarrassed in the least, however.

And here I was, thinking that nobody would ever quote EarlJam again.

camion
09-27-2023, 06:29 PM
I just watched The Electric Horseman again. Every year of so I'll find it on some channel or other.

1979. Robert Redford and Jane Fonda being movie stars.

And there's a young/old guy picking on a guitar.

SouthernDukie
09-27-2023, 08:39 PM
Super embarrassed to admit this: I will, on occasion, pause the channel if I see select episodes of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer on.

There. I said it.

No one can top that for a guilty pleasure.

lotusland
09-28-2023, 08:04 PM

That makes 2 of us on both counts.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-28-2023, 08:08 PM
That makes 2 of us on both counts.

I can listen to OK Computer straight through absolutely any time.

lotusland
09-28-2023, 08:19 PM

It’s interesting that I love Harry Potter Books and movies but have always been bored to tears by video games. I can throw balls at a pop a shot goal for hours but I have no time for video games.

lotusland
09-28-2023, 09:27 PM
I love female musicians and songwriters. I think Patty Griffin may be the greatest songwriter alive and is definitely in my top 2. Anita Baker’s Compositions record is in my top 5. I’ve seen Heart, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, Dar Williams, Shawn Colvin, Mary Gauthier, Cheryl Crow, Emmylou Harris, Linda Rhonstat, Pat Benatar, the Indigo Girls, Nancy Griffith, Patty Griffin, Brandy Carlile, Shovels and Rope, Bonnie Raitt, The Pretenders, B52s, Ricky Lee Jones, Kelly Willis, Lucinda Williams, Sarah McLachlan, Jewell, Susanna Hoffs, Janet Jackson, Allison Kraus, Tracy Chapman, Iris DeMent, Antje Duvecot, Amy Ray and Allison Russell in concert.

I went to Lilith Fair twice and I have a weakness for Brenda Lee. If I had to pinpoint guilty pleasure songs I’d probably go with “She Used to be Mine” by Sara Bareilles but “Never is a Promise” by Fiona Apple and “Don’t Let it Show” by Pat Benatar might also qualify. Lately I’m obsessed with these:

https://youtu.be/tfW__yMn2Bk?si=TYAaahzLZyNbW9Sy

https://youtu.be/VtM_QZvCvBc?si=y9V40FHLwVnvrz4M

I don’t like heavy metal, science fiction, super heroes, golf, hunting, cigars, gambling or Bourbon.

missfinch
09-28-2023, 09:44 PM
I love female musicians and songwriters. I think Patty Griffin may be the greatest songwriter alive and is definitely in my top 2. Anita Baker’s Compositions record is in my top 5. I’ve seen Heart, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, Dar Williams, Shawn Colvin, Mary Gauthier, Cheryl Crow, Emmylou Harris, Linda Rhonstat, Pat Benatar, the Indigo Girls, Nancy Griffith, Patty Griffin, Brandy Carlile, Shovels and Rope, Bonnie Raitt, The Pretenders, B52s, Ricky Lee Jones, Kelly Willis, Lucinda Williams, Sarah McLachlan, Jewell, Susanna Hoffs, Janet Jackson, Allison Kraus, Tracy Chapman, Iris DeMent, Antje Duvecot, Amy Ray and Allison Russell in concert.

I went to Lilith Fair twice and I have a weakness for Brenda Lee. If I had to pinpoint guilty pleasure songs I’d probably go with “She Used to be Mine” by Sara Bareilles but “Never is a Promise” by Fiona Apple and “Don’t Let it Show” by Pat Benatar might also qualify. Lately I’m obsessed with these:

I don’t like heavy metal, science fiction, super heroes, golf, hunting, cigars, gambling or Bourbon.

Oh my (in my best Annie Savoy voice)

Steven43
09-28-2023, 10:11 PM
Super embarrassed to admit this: I will, on occasion, pause the channel if I see select episodes of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer on.

There. I said it.

No one can top that for a guilty pleasure.I’ve never seen the show. Apparently, there is something embarrassing about admitting to be a fan?

Steven43
09-28-2023, 10:17 PM
Oh my (in my best Annie Savoy voice)Why that response?

SouthernDukie
09-28-2023, 10:26 PM
I’ve never seen the show. Apparently, there is something embarrassing about admitting to be a fan?

I guess it depends on who you ask. It was critically acclaimed, and a show that I thought was really well done. But it was written primarily for teens and twenty-somethings, and I was in my 30s when I started watching it. Perhaps that’s the source of embarrassment. But the show itself was pretty darned good, in my opinion.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-28-2023, 10:30 PM
I guess it depends on who you ask. It was critically acclaimed, and a show that I thought was really well done. But it was written primarily for teens and twenty-somethings, and I was in my 30s when I started watching it. Perhaps that’s the source of embarrassment. But the show itself was pretty darned good, in my opinion.

Joss Whedon has a pretty good run.

SouthernDukie
09-28-2023, 10:32 PM
Joss Whedon has a pretty good run.

I was very impressed with the writing and acting. Sarah Michelle Gellar was more than just a pretty face. And James Marsters was incredible, with a story arc for the ages.

missfinch
09-28-2023, 10:41 PM
Why that response?

Just a Bull Durham “I believe in…” joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBfdl6hNZ9k

FosterCoachK82
09-28-2023, 11:07 PM

Very good, I get it, I will use that.

rasputin
09-28-2023, 11:40 PM

I'll chime in with Carole King.

CameronBlue
09-29-2023, 12:33 AM
I'll chime in with Carole King.

It’s too late, baby

OZZIE4DUKE
09-29-2023, 05:49 AM

I do believe that there was some post production “editing” done in the list of things that Crash believes in. Never heard those in the movie. Or perhaps they were in the original filming and they were edited out. Just saying.

weezie
09-29-2023, 07:35 AM
I'll admit it,

I'm a proud, if cautious, Lions fan.

jv001
09-29-2023, 08:08 AM
I'll admit it,

I'm a proud, if cautious, Lions fan.

And a Detroit Tiger fan as well ?? I have St. Brown, David Montgomery and LaPorta on some of my fantasy teams. Go Lions!

TruBlu
09-29-2023, 09:41 AM
This week while staying at a crappy motel in rural south GA, I finally got around to watching Tombstone for the first time.

bundabergdevil
09-29-2023, 09:42 AM
This week while staying at a crappy motel in rural south GA, I finally got around to watching Tombstone for the first time.

Whhhhhaaaattttttt…?!?!

elvis14
09-29-2023, 09:52 AM
It’s interesting that I love Harry Potter Books and movies but have always been bored to tears by video games. I can throw balls at a pop a shot goal for hours but I have no time for video games.

Well, I'm 56 and I've read all the Harry Potter books more than once and I've watched the movies as well. I've also read a bunch of the Percy Jackson books (the movies are terrible). As for video games, outside of goofy stuff on my phone (Toon Blast currently) I don't play a lot of video games. Mostly because I know that if I ever got into them I'd spend way too much time playing them. Especially the modern games which are amazing.

I do believe that there was some post production “editing” done in the list of things that Crash believes in. Never heard those in the movie. Or perhaps they were in the original filming and they were edited out. Just saying.

Ozzie, the youtube video is the original and proper list of what Crash believes in. The "TV" version of the movie edits the list and cleans it up poorly. The TV version of Bull Durham is almost unwatchable if you are used to the original version. There was a time when we had a bunch of friends that would go out drinking on weekends (late 90's) and people would always end up at my house. After a while they told my roommate and I that we could only put Bull Durham, Top Gun or the Matrix on when we staggered home at 2am if we wouldn't say all the words right before the actors. After drinking we were annoying as hell with that. I can still say most of the words...

ClemmonsDevil
09-29-2023, 09:56 AM
I have never seen anything in The Matrix universe.

TruBlu
09-29-2023, 10:02 AM
Whhhhhaaaattttttt…?!?!

Not really a movie person. Obviously.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-29-2023, 10:10 AM
I have never seen anything in The Matrix universe.

I have never seen The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, most of Marvel comic movies and Batman (I love the old Batman show with Adam West and Lego Batman was great). I was into Star Wars as a kid when the first three came out but have absolutely no interest now. My kids are into Harry Potter and I encourage that, but I have no desire to read the books (I sent my older child to see the show with a friend). I rarely go to the movies anymore because I am clearly not their target audience.

I am expecting a lot of flames for this.

ClemmonsDevil
09-29-2023, 10:12 AM
I have never seen The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, most of Marvel comic movies and Batman (I love the old Batman show with Adam West and Lego Batman was great). I was into Star Wars as a kid when the first three came out but have absolutely no interest now. My kids are into Harry Potter and I encourage that, but I have no desire to read the books (I sent my older child to see the show with a friend). I rarely go to the movies anymore because I am clearly not their target audience.

I am expecting a lot of flames for this.

LOVE the HP books. But all of this boils down to where your interests lie.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2023, 10:30 AM

It is on my “I need to watch it someday” list.

missfinch
09-29-2023, 10:46 AM

Oops, I guess it’s been so long since I’ve seen the original I didn’t even think to check the clip before posting. (I’m a real…) Anyway, I’m with Crash on the DH and feel the same about interleague play. I’ve slept through more Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and superhero movies than I can recall. I hated Million Dollar Baby. I love candy corn and especially Brach’s Autumn Mix with the candy pumpkins.

aimo
09-29-2023, 10:51 AM
Oops, I guess it’s been so long since I’ve seen the original I didn’t even think to check the clip before posting. (I’m a real…) Anyway, I’m with Crash on the DH and feel the same about interleague play. I’ve slept through more Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and superhero movies than I can recall. I hated Million Dollar Baby. I love candy corn and especially Brach’s Autumn Mix with the candy pumpkins.

Now that is unforgiveable. My ears just started ringing.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2023, 10:55 AM
Candy corn and salted peanuts are great together.

Fight me.

missfinch
09-29-2023, 10:55 AM

I thought this was a safe space.

camion
09-29-2023, 10:59 AM
Lewis Black discussing candy corn:

Linky (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4vVGG_FcvY)

missfinch
09-29-2023, 11:12 AM
Lewis Black discussing candy corn:

Linky (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4vVGG_FcvY)

Communist.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2023, 11:13 AM
Tar Heel, too.

(But I love Lewis Black, so….)

ClemmonsDevil
09-29-2023, 11:33 AM

Agreed. I reported Jean Louise.

ClemmonsDevil
09-29-2023, 11:34 AM
I thought this was a safe space.

It's safe for everything except candy corn. A bridge too far.

weezie
09-29-2023, 11:36 AM

Fight me.

Say OPK, getting a little feisty lately?! :cool:

OldPhiKap
09-29-2023, 11:40 AM
Say OPK, getting a little feisty lately?! :cool:

Getting my Irish up. But not in a Fighting Irish sort of way. ;-)

missfinch
09-29-2023, 11:50 AM
It's safe for everything except candy corn. A bridge too far.

Isn’t this an indictment of our entire American society?? I will not stand by and listen to you bad mouth the United States of America!

ClemmonsDevil
09-29-2023, 11:52 AM
Isn’t this an indictment of our entire American society?? I will not stand by and listen to you bad mouth the United States of America!

Hahaha! I like to think I make folks just a little bit dumber with my posts everyday.

missfinch
09-29-2023, 11:56 AM
Hahaha! I like to think I make folks just a little bit dumber with my posts everyday.

I, for one, don’t need the help.

Steven43
09-29-2023, 12:41 PM

Fight me.Wait, are you talking those little wax things that look like miniature traffic cones?? People actually eat those?! I honestly thought they were just a decorative Halloween thing. 🤷

luvdahops
09-29-2023, 12:46 PM

Fight me.

Definitely won't fight you on this. In fact, I'll be right behind you, all the way, if someone tries to...

Phredd3
09-29-2023, 12:50 PM
Candy corn isn't hateful. It's just kind of pointless. I mean, yeah, you can eat it. But why? As for mixing it with peanuts, if there are M&Ms within 10 miles of you at the time, it's worth the trip to use those, instead.

Peeps, on the other hand, are actually gross. Calling them "edible" is an absolute travesty. They are the undisputed champion candibomination.

lotusland
09-29-2023, 12:52 PM
I like BBQ with mustard sauce.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2023, 01:03 PM

dude.

ClemmonsDevil
09-29-2023, 01:14 PM

That is not technically barbecue as I understand it. So you like to eat meat with mustard. That's okay.

ClemmonsDevil
09-29-2023, 01:15 PM
I actually don't think anyone enjoys classic rock. I think people of a certain age feel like they're supposed to like it and they tell other people they do. But no one really likes it.

75Crazie
09-29-2023, 01:21 PM
I actually don't think anyone enjoys classic rock. I think people of a certain age feel like they're supposed to like it and they tell other people they do. But no one really likes it.
I am really, really enjoying my recently-purchased retro Emerson, Lake and Palmer CDs. Tarkus is an awesome song. Wanna fight?

AGDukesky
09-29-2023, 01:22 PM

Fight me.

Candy corn is like people- except people are actually edible under the right conditions

ClemmonsDevil
09-29-2023, 01:24 PM
I am really, really enjoying my recently-purchased retro Emerson, Lake and Palmer CDs. Tarkus is an awesome song. Wanna fight?

What are emerson, Lake and Palmer ClemmonsDevils? And do I need to be concerned?

Edit- no idea what a Tarkus is.

Matches
09-29-2023, 01:31 PM
I like candy corn with mustard sauce.

Steven43
09-29-2023, 01:33 PM
I actually don't think anyone enjoys classic rock. I think people of a certain age feel like they're supposed to like it and they tell other people they do. But no one really likes it.Well, it depends on which bands are considered to be classic rock. If The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd are classic rock, I’m 100% in. 💯

missfinch
09-29-2023, 01:34 PM

So what exactly is your working definition of classic rock? I mean that could include a lot of very different stuff over multiple decades. Please support with examples.

budwom
09-29-2023, 01:36 PM
Candy corn is like people- except people are actually edible under the right conditions

my first Halloween I OD-ed on candy corn, up she came. Still can't stand looking at it.

AGDukesky
09-29-2023, 01:46 PM
my first Halloween I OD-ed on candy corn, up she came. Still can't stand looking at it.

I had a similar experience but it only took one

killerleft
09-29-2023, 01:46 PM

Fight me.

Astute observation. If you've eaten a PayDay candy bar, that's the resulting flavor.

Steven43
09-29-2023, 01:47 PM
I am really, really enjoying my recently-purchased retro Emerson, Lake and Palmer CDs. Tarkus is an awesome song. Wanna fight?ELP has some excellent tunes — “From the Beginning” is one of the best songs of the entire 1970’s and “Still…..You Turn Me On” is excellent, and they have other good songs as well — but “Karn Evil 9” and “Fanfare for the Common Man” should not exist.

ClemmonsDevil
09-29-2023, 01:51 PM
Well, it depends on which bands are considered to be classic rock. If The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd are classic rock, I’m 100% in. 💯

I would take the Beatles out of this but that is based on vibes more than anything. And I did do a deep dive on the Rolling Stones at somebody's recommendation recently and I get why people loved their early stuff. It was complicated as hell, jazzy, bluesy and I get it now. Eventually they became a bit too self aware of themselves as rock stars and just became a cover band.

I really think I say classic rock but what I really mean is Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. I've tried to do a deep dive on their stuff and be open-minded and I just don't enjoy it. It all sounds the same and a little bit formulaic. And if you're going to have a formula it better be such a damn good formula that it's still better than anything else on the radio (I'm looking at you Alabama).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-29-2023, 01:59 PM
I like candy corn with mustard sauce.

And turkey?

ClemmonsDevil
09-29-2023, 02:10 PM
And turkey?

Proud that I am anti-turkey.

missfinch
09-29-2023, 02:26 PM
I really think I say classic rock but what I really mean is Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

If only you’d known…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0WM6ZW1e9A

Throw in a little linguine in white clam sauce and Coke with no ice and high school Clem coulda been killin it.

SouthernDukie
09-29-2023, 02:33 PM
It is on my “I need to watch it someday” list.

Tombstone is a great movie! No need of embarrassment saying you watched that one.

SouthernDukie
09-29-2023, 02:37 PM

Any discussion of classic rock that does not include Chicago’s ‘25 or 6 to 4’ is simply lacking. No arguments!

ClemmonsDevil
09-29-2023, 02:40 PM
Any discussion of classic rock that does not include Chicago’s ‘25 or 6 to 4’ is simply lacking. No arguments!

I think the issue is that I just hate two of the pantheon level bands of the genre. Chicago is a stellar group. I also abhor Journey. They are absolute garbage to me. And not the really good band Garbage from the '90s. Which ironically is not garbage even though it actually is Garbage.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2023, 02:49 PM
Journey is the Nickleback of rock, upon this we all agree.

ClemmonsDevil
09-29-2023, 02:50 PM
Journey is the Nickleback of rock, upon this we all agree.

Our long national nightmare is over.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2023, 02:50 PM
Put on Waiting for Columbus by Little Feat. Play it loud. If you’re not impressed after a while, you’ve given the best a try at least.

Steven43
09-29-2023, 03:07 PM
Any discussion of classic rock that does not include Chicago’s ‘25 or 6 to 4’ is simply lacking. No arguments!Terry Kath’s playing on “25 or 6 to 4” is some of the best electric guitar you will ever hear.

Chicago was an elite band until Terry died.

Phredd3
09-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Put on Waiting for Columbus by Little Feat. Play it loud. If you’re not impressed after a while, you’ve given the best a try at least.

OK, now you've done it. I have to say that I far prefer the Craig Fuller Little Feat to the Lowell George Little Feat, and Ritchie Hayward was the real heart of the band. Let it Roll and Representing the Mambo are Little Feat's two best albums.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-29-2023, 03:30 PM
Terry Kath’s playing on “25 or 6 to 4” is some of the best electric guitar you will ever hear.

Chicago was an elite band until Terry died.

25 or 6 to 4 is an incredible song. It is so different from most of the rest of the songs that Chicago is known for, which tend to be more like love ballads (I still make the neighborhood dogs cringe trying to hit the high notes on If You Leave Me Now). Though there are Saturday in the Park, Does Anybody Know what Time it is, and a few others which are kind of in between and great songs too.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2023, 03:45 PM
Craig Fuller

Amie, whatcha tryin’ t’ do?

Everyone in that band was incredible, and Craig did a very good job.

aimo
09-29-2023, 03:50 PM
Amie, whatcha gonna do?

FIFY

My anthem.

SouthernDukie
09-29-2023, 03:58 PM
Terry Kath’s playing on “25 or 6 to 4” is some of the best electric guitar you will ever hear.

Agreed. I wouldn’t argue with anyone that says it is the greatest guitar solo of all time.

TruBlu
09-29-2023, 04:20 PM
Chicago music is too brassy. Brass should be reserved for marching bands, some blues, and jazz. Not rock.

SouthernDukie
09-29-2023, 04:36 PM
Chicago music is too brassy. Brass should be reserved for marching bands, some blues, and jazz. Not rock.

I disagree. I love the way the brass was worked into that particular song. Of course I’m very eclectic in my music tastes. Big Band and Swing music is awesome in my book.

elvis14
09-29-2023, 04:45 PM

I don't mind occasional classic rock. I just hate that so many people my age ONLY listen to it. I also hate when people think 'their' music is better than other peoples (especially the classic rock is better than anything new crowd, they are 100% full of crap)

Just to be clear:
Chicago is pretty bad
Journey is good stuff and shame on you both for saying negative things. That's the kind of thing that causes bad karma and could help the Irish tomorrow.

wilson
09-29-2023, 05:13 PM
Amie, whatcha tryin’ t’ do?

FIFY

My anthem.ExCUSE y’all, it’s What you WANNA do.
And that song is terrific.

amie pure prairie league lyrics https://g.co/kgs/AzxG3e

75Crazie
09-29-2023, 05:32 PM
I think the issue is that I just hate two of the pantheon level bands of the genre. Chicago is a stellar group. I also abhor Journey. They are absolute garbage to me. And not the really good band Garbage from the '90s. Which ironically is not garbage even though it actually is Garbage.
I guess this is the first time I've heard anyone classify Journey as "classic rock" ... which, of course, it isn't ... it isn't even "sorta OK" rock. Chicago actually only existed for 4 or 5 records, which were mostly stellar (with just a little bit of dreck mixed in), but they disolved and were instantly replaced by imposters which put out a solid string of pop pablum. I agree with the reviews here of "25 or 6 to 4" and with the attitude towards Terry Kath, who was the lynchpin of that early version of the band.

ClemmonsDevil
09-29-2023, 05:33 PM
I guess this is the first time I've heard anyone classify Journey as "classic rock" ... which, of course, it isn't ... it isn't even "sorta OK" rock. Chicago actually only existed for 4 or 5 records, which were mostly stellar (with just a little bit of dreck mixed in), but they disolved and were instantly replaced by imposters which put out a solid string of pop pablum. I agree with the reviews here of "25 or 6 to 4" and with the attitude towards Terry Kath, who was the lynchpin of that early version of the band.

I didn't classify Journey as classic rock. But agreed Journey sucks. I understand why you thought I was calling them classic rock. I was completing my thoughts about the two bands from the classic rock genre that I despise and then I added that I also hate Journey. But it's a separate thought.

lotusland
09-29-2023, 05:35 PM
Astute observation. If you've eaten a PayDay candy bar, that's the resulting flavor.

I’m generally a peaceful man but impugning PayDay candy bars is walking on the fighting side of me.

ClemmonsDevil
09-29-2023, 05:39 PM
I’m generally a peaceful man but impugning PayDay candy bars is walking on the fighting side of me.

If you're running down a Payday Hoss you're walking on the fighting side of lotusland.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-29-2023, 05:40 PM
I didn't classify Journey as classic rock. But agreed Journey sucks.

So you and Journey have gone Separate Ways?

I like them, to a point. I wouldn't go see them in concert or something like that. But I will keep them on if they come on the radio. And I am guilty of singing along to Don't Stop Believin.

ClemmonsDevil
09-29-2023, 05:41 PM

I like them, to a point. I wouldn't go see them in concert or something like that. But I will keep them on if they come on the radio. And I am guilty of singing along to Don't Stop Believin.

I think that's it. I absolutely despised that song because they played it at every High School dance I ever attended. Side note: they also played Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC and it was the only song of theirs I knew so I assumed they sucked as well. I have since discovered that AC/DC does not indeed suck. Journey still sucks. Bad.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2023, 05:44 PM

When Journey came on the jukebox at the end of The Sopranos, I bet Tony thought:

“Just shoot me now!”

(Sure it’s not a spoiler really after fifteen years, but trying to be polite in case someone is like me and “Tombstone” — planning to watch some day).

lotusland
09-29-2023, 06:01 PM

Never liked Journey or Chicago. Boston has 5 songs that all sound the same. Styx, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner and Kansas all suck. Bad Company is only a half measure better than those. I never want to hear another song by Ted Nugent or George thorogood. Jethro Tull is an annoying band with a ridiculous one legged flute player out front. Wide Spread Panic an Phish need to learn what a melody is and practice BEFORE they get on stage. Dave Mathews is unbearable. Kiss should only be revered by members of my 4th and 5th grad class who were also members of the KISS Army. Bob Seger’s “Old Timey Rock and Roll” must be permanently banned.

TruBlu
09-29-2023, 07:10 PM
I think that's it. I absolutely despised that song because they played it at every High School dance I ever attended. Side note: they also played Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC and it was the only song of theirs I knew so I assumed they sucked as well. I have since discovered that AC/DC does not indeed suck. Journey still sucks. Bad.

All 7 years that you were in high school? I bet it did get old!

YmoBeThere
09-29-2023, 07:27 PM

My candy corn binge followed a Salisbury steak dinner. Both came back up. Not sure which was the root cause so have avoided both for 45 years.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2023, 07:30 PM
My candy corn binge followed a Salisbury steak dinner. Both came back up. Not sure which was the root cause so have avoided both for 45 years.

It might have been the music, too. This I have learned today.

Steven43
09-29-2023, 08:01 PM
I’m generally a peaceful man but impugning PayDay candy bars is walking on the fighting side of me.Yep, PAYDAY is a very good candy bar. I eat a king size PAYDAY and a king size Snickers every week or so.

Just stay away from the chocolate PAYDAY. It’s okay, but the chocolate isn’t nearly as good as the chocolate on a Snickers or a Hersheys with almonds. Life advice.

91devil
09-29-2023, 08:04 PM
I owned a flip phone until two years ago.

I got Netflix CDs by mail until today.

I think the Earth is flat.

I like Bud Light but not Coors Light.

I probably could not change my engine oil.

I was kidding about the Earth being flat.

I tell Dad jokes quite often despite not being a Dad.

Weezie and Moonpie are my DBR heroes - own the chat rooms with zero negativity.

lotusland
09-29-2023, 10:23 PM
If only you’d known…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0WM6ZW1e9A

Throw in a little linguine in white clam sauce and Coke with no ice and high school Clem coulda been killin it.

Damone recommended playing side 1 of Zeppelin IV but the song playing is Cashmere off Physical Graffiti. Yes, I owned every Zeppelin record in High School. Unfortunately I bought cassette tapes for my car so they’re long gone now.

I don’t think Damone knows his Zep. Rock and Roll and Black Dog isn’t music for romancing. I’d go with Fool in the Rain and All of My Love on Side 2 of “In Through the Out Door” or “Thank You” on Zep II. Or maybe Whole Lotta Love and The Lemon Song if she’s a little on the wild side.

aimo
09-29-2023, 10:35 PM
ExCUSE y’all, it’s What you WANNA do.

I am deeply ashamed. This guy I used to know would sing it to me (annoyingly) incorrectly, and I guess I shamefully remembered HIS version.

missfinch
09-29-2023, 11:19 PM
ExCUSE y’all, it’s What you WANNA do.

Love this one. It’s on my long drive sing-along playlist.

SouthernDukie
09-29-2023, 11:43 PM
Yep, PAYDAY is a very good candy bar. I eat a king size PAYDAY and a king size Snickers every week or so.

Just stay away from the chocolate PAYDAY. It’s okay, but the chocolate isn’t nearly as good as the chocolate on a Snickers or a Hersheys with almonds. Life advice.

Agreed on all points. I think my favorite is to get a Hershey’s chocolate bar with almonds and dip it in smooth peanut butter. Just nothing like it.

YmoBeThere
09-30-2023, 12:12 AM
Agreed on all points. I think my favorite is to get a Hershey’s chocolate bar with almonds and dip it in smooth peanut butter. Just nothing like it.

Creamy peanut butter is a crime against humanity.

According to some.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-30-2023, 07:10 AM

According to some.

Not sure if kids can even bring chunky peanut butter to school anymore - lots of schools are nut free - my kids eat sunbutter (which is smooth). I don't know if their current schools are nut free but they have gotten in the habit of eating that and we do it out of an abundance of caution for others.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-30-2023, 07:54 AM
Damone recommended playing side 1 of Zeppelin IV but the song playing is Cashmere off Physical Graffiti. Yes, I owned every Zeppelin record in High School. Unfortunately I bought cassette tapes for my car so they’re long gone now.

I don’t think Damone knows his Zep. Rock and Roll and Black Dog isn’t music for romancing. I’d go with Fool in the Rain and All of My Love on Side 2 of “In Through the Out Door” or “Thank You” on Zep II. Or maybe Whole Lotta Love and The Lemon Song if she’s a little on the wild side.

As long as we Zep Heads are being pedantic - it's "Kashmir," not "cashmere."

Yes, I went through a prolonged Zeppelin phase that started in 7th grade.

ClemmonsDevil
09-30-2023, 08:09 AM
All 7 years that you were in high school? I bet it did get old!

9th grade! The grade so nice I had to do it twice.

YmoBeThere
09-30-2023, 08:15 AM
My Wordle score for today. I have issues.

SouthernDukie
09-30-2023, 08:50 AM

According to some.

I used to love crunchy peanut butter as a kid. Not so much any more.

SouthernDukie
09-30-2023, 08:51 AM
9th grade! The grade so nice I had to do it twice.

Abbott: Did you go to school, stupid?

Costello: Yeah, and I came out the same way.

ClemmonsDevil
09-30-2023, 08:55 AM
Abbott: Did you go to school, stupid?

Costello: Yeah, and I came out the same way.

Teacher: "What a terrible answer. Don't you know anything?"
Me: "Ma'am, I don't even suspect anything."

lotusland
09-30-2023, 09:46 AM
I used to love crunchy peanut butter as a kid. Not so much any more.

I like all things peanut butter. Peanut butter and yogurt ice cream is the best. I’m doubtful about smooth peanut butter being better for peanut allergies than crunchy tho. I feel like the peanuts are there in peanut butter regardless.

OldPhiKap
09-30-2023, 09:58 AM
I like all things peanut butter. Peanut butter and yogurt ice cream is the best. I’m doubtful about smooth peanut butter being better for peanut allergies than crunchy tho. I feel like the peanuts are there in peanut butter regardless.

I am not sure that creamy peanut butter has any peanuts, though. As best I can tell, it is made from the crushed spirit of America and the tears of all things Holy. At least, that’s true for Jif.

lotusland
09-30-2023, 10:00 AM
As long as we Zep Heads are being pedantic - it's "Kashmir," not "cashmere."

Yes, I went through a prolonged Zeppelin phase that started in 7th grade.

I’d say that I’m a recovered Zep Head. I think I have maybe three lesser-known Zepplin songs on my main playlist which has over 2000 songs. I do have Burning Down One Side by Plant on my Drive playlist because it rocks. I’m going to look up the lyrics one day so I can sing along with actual words.

OldPhiKap
09-30-2023, 10:02 AM
I’d say that I’m a recovered Zep Head. I think I have maybe three lesser-known Zepplin songs on my main playlist which has over 2000 songs. I do have Burning Down One Side by Plant on my Drive playlist because it rocks. I’m going to look up the lyrics one day so I can sing along with actual words.

Zep is great.

I think at this point I’ve basically drained all I’m gonna get off of them though.

My life is better for having had Zep in it. I’m thankful but I’ve moved on.

And that’s true for most classic rock bands. Love ‘em. Not stuck in them.

camion
09-30-2023, 10:54 AM
I am not sure that creamy peanut butter has any peanuts, though. As best I can tell, it is made from the crushed spirit of America and the tears of all things Holy. At least, that’s true for Jif.

And sugar,

to mask some of the bitter taste. :eek:

ClemmonsDevil
09-30-2023, 11:01 AM
The only people who eat crunchy peanut butter are people who are too lazy to actually shell peanuts. I don't have a problem with somebody eating crunchy peanut butter on celery. Or maybe even an apple. Although I don't eat apples because it's just empty vitamins. But if you're going with a sandwich you have to use creamy peanut butter. These are the facts, and they are undisputed.

camion
09-30-2023, 11:14 AM
The only people who eat crunchy peanut butter are people who are too lazy to actually shell peanuts. I don't have a problem with somebody eating crunchy peanut butter on celery. Or maybe even an apple. Although I don't eat apples because it's just empty vitamins. But if you're going with a sandwich you have to use creamy peanut butter. These are the facts, and they are undisputed.

Oh I dispute that.

I gotta have a little crunchy in my PB&M* sandwich. :cool:

The shells are too crunchy and don't really fit between the bread slices very well.

*The only thing I'm embarrassed about it the M.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-30-2023, 11:49 AM
Zep is great.

I think at this point I’ve basically drained all I’m gonna get off of them though.

I have a friend who has a theory that Led Zeppelin is simply a 7th grade rite of passage. Kids who were in 7th grade in the 70s grew up on Zeppelin. 7th graders in the 90s found Zofo and never looked back. Gen Z kids who are 13/14 continue to find Led Zeppelin. And your great-grandchildren will one day learn about Led Zeppelin at the same age.

It's a pretty solid theory.

ClemmonsDevil
09-30-2023, 11:59 AM
Oh I dispute that.

I gotta have a little crunchy in my PB&M* sandwich. :cool:

The shells are too crunchy and don't really fit between the bread slices very well.

*The only thing I'm embarrassed about it the M.

I'm just calling balls and strikes here man. These are the rules and my hands are tied.

camion
09-30-2023, 12:13 PM
I'm just calling balls and strikes here man. These are the rules and my hands are tied.

Do the name Angel Hernandez ring a bell? :eek:

ClemmonsDevil
09-30-2023, 12:25 PM
Do the name Angel Hernandez ring a bell? :eek:

Ha! I saw him doing a rehab assignment in Durham recently! Umps do rehab assignments! Who knew?

OldPhiKap
09-30-2023, 12:36 PM

I can see why you would put this on the “too ashamed to admittedly ” thread.

SouthernDukie
09-30-2023, 12:45 PM
Of course everyone is missing the true superior form of peanuts: when they are boiled.

lotusland
09-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Of course everyone is missing the true superior form of peanuts: when they are boiled.

I’m with you on boiled Peanuts Southern and I will support you in defense of grits until the bitter end. But where’er ye go in defense of okra, ye go alone.

rsvman
09-30-2023, 02:19 PM
Zep is great.

You never really move on from Zep, or ar least you shouldn't. As you age, the songs may take on a slightly different meaning, or you may discover that you really like one of the songs that you previously fast-forwarded or skipped, but Zep never leaves your soul.

The Rain Song is a perfect example of a tune that in times past I thought was just kinda boring but I now understand to be pure genius, and perhaps one of the most perfect rock ballads ever written. And No Quarter is one of the real rock tunes that, when I was young, I thought was too slow and too long, but now I realize is just fantastic from start to finish.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-30-2023, 02:27 PM

Another point of agreement! Now I want some...

SouthernDukie
09-30-2023, 02:29 PM
I’m with you on boiled Peanuts Southern and I will support you in defense of grits until the bitter end. But where’er ye go in defense of okra, ye go alone.

Can’t go there either. I’m a tried and true Southerner yet there are a few things even my palate has never learned to accept. Okra is one of them.

Steven43
09-30-2023, 02:30 PM

I don’t think Damone knows his Zep. Rock and Roll and Black Dog isn’t music for romancing. I’d go with Fool in the Rain and All of My Love on Side 2 of “In Through the Out Door” or “Thank You” on Zep II. Or maybe Whole Lotta Love and The Lemon Song if she’s a little on the wild side.If you’re looking for one of the all-time songs of melancholy and sentimentality (not to mention beautiful lyrics) you can’t do much better than “Ten Years Gone” from Physical Graffiti. If you want the perfect late-night chill song it’s “Tea For One” from Presence. If you want one of the coolest (and criminally unheralded) songs ever check out “I’m Gonna Crawl” from In Through the Out Door. If you’re looking for a badass rocker check out “Communication Breakdown” from Led Zeppelin I. If you’re searching for a sweet song with gorgeous 12-string acoustic guitar check out “That’s the Way” from the awesome Led Zeppelin III. If you’re seeking an eclectic song with Lord of the Rings references, psychedelic influences, and a distinctive guitar sound created by Jimmy Page plugging in directly to the console while foregoing the use of an amp, you should listen to “No Quarter” from Houses of the Holy. If you’re looking for a song that starts out as a bluesy harmonica homage to the legendary Sonny Boy Williamson and then morphs into a rocker with a way cool Page guitar riff and John Bonham showing once again why he is rock’s best drummer this side of Neal Peart, then look for “Bring It On Home” from Led Zeppelin II. If you want a gorgeous song that will entice you to move to the spectacular west coast check out “Going to California” from Led Zeppelin IV. And finally, if you’re looking for the best song released after the death of John Bonham (and the death of Led Zeppelin) seek out “Ozone Baby” from Coda, a pretty damn good album considering it’s a collection of rejected tracks taken from various sessions during Led Zeppelin's twelve-year career.

Led Zeppelin is absolutely one of the greatest bands in rock history with a massive influence on contemporary music culture as well as inspiring young aspiring musicians throughout the 70’s and into the 80’s and 90’s. They really were a super group with each member — Robert Plant (vocals), Jimmy Page (guitar), John Paul Jones (bass), and John Bonham (drums) — being considered among the best in rock music at their instrument(s).

I was too young to see them in concert, but I try to attend every performance of the Zep tribute band ZOSO whenever they come to Raleigh’s Lincoln Theater (and they come every year, sometimes twice). I have seen them something like 13 times, as they are the closest I will ever get to attending a Led Zeppelin concert. Trust me, these guys are phenomenal, and really give it their all.

And no, I don’t listen to Led Zeppelin albums very often anymore (I know every note by heart), preferring instead to listen to a wide range of musical artists such as Talking Heads, David Bowie, Radiohead, Sonic Youth, Tom Waits, Dwight Yoakam, The Cure, The Grateful Dead, Prince, Joni Mitchell, Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Stevie Wonder, Wilco, Metallica, etc., to contemporary female artists such as PJ Harvey, Lucinda Williams, Madonna, Sinead O’ Connor, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Courtney Love, Liz Phair, Alannis Morissette, Sarah McLachlan, Bjork, Pretenders (Chrissie Hynde), The Cranberries (Dolores O’Riordan), Avril Lavigne, Amy Winehouse, etc., to classic country from the 50’s through the 80’s.

But Led Zeppelin will always hold a special place in my musical heart. 🎵 ❤️

SouthernDukie
09-30-2023, 02:31 PM
Another point of agreement! Now I want some...

If only we could get Felix to agree. ThreeAgree! Could start our own movement. :D

OldPhiKap
09-30-2023, 02:52 PM

Or as we say in Georgia, “ball’d peanuts.”

SouthernDukie
09-30-2023, 03:00 PM
Or as we say in Georgia, “ball’d peanuts.”

Yummy. A true southern delicacy.

Phredd3
09-30-2023, 03:35 PM
...John Bonham showing once again why he is rock’s best drummer this side of Neal Peart...

I'm kinda thinking John Bonham (d. 1980) is more on the other side of Neil Peart (d. 2020).

Steven43
09-30-2023, 04:14 PM
I'm kinda thinking John Bonham (d. 1980) is more on the other side of Neil Peart (d. 2020).Ya killed it (no pun intended), Phredd3.

lotusland
10-01-2023, 09:22 AM
I should be too embarrassed to admit this but a feel the need to confess. I was farting around with my guitar last night with Gamecock mediocrity on for background noise when I saw that Duke was ahead and driving so I flipped over to watch the ending just in time to see Riley’s 4th down punt. Sorry guys.