PDA

View Full Version : Lost Tonight (5/8)

mr. synellinden
05-08-2008, 10:59 AM
I saw a preview this morning for tonight's Lost episode - which looks to be action-packed. I have a feeling the last three hours are going to be a wild ride that will answer many questions but create so many more.

What I noticed is that the graphic at the end of the promo shows the Lost logo superimposed over an image of an island. In the reflection in the water, though, the image is not a mirror image of the island - it appears to be an image of a city skyline with skyscrapers. Has anyone noticed this before or has it been discussed? I am going to try to find a screencap or post a link to the promo.

DukeDevil
05-08-2008, 11:14 AM
OOOhh...i didn't notice that and would love a screencap.

mr. synellinden
05-08-2008, 11:33 AM
If you watch this you tube clip and pause and the end graphic, you will see it. Can't find an image yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY115D6Agps

mr. synellinden
05-08-2008, 11:38 AM
you can also see it on the abc web site, click on the lost page and watch the "previously on lost" and sneak peak videos". It is clearly a city skyline.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/index?pn=index

juise
05-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Since the viral marketing billboard was in my hometown and there was also an episode title with the city's name in it, I am wondering if it could be Portland (http://cache.virtualtourist.com/1550264-Portland_Skyline_about_6pm-Portland.jpg).

blublood
05-08-2008, 11:53 AM
What I noticed is that the graphic at the end of the promo shows the Lost logo superimposed over an image of an island. In the reflection in the water, though, the image is not a mirror image of the island - it appears to be an image of a city skyline with skyscrapers. Has anyone noticed this before or has it been discussed? I am going to try to find a screencap or post a link to the promo.

It's been noticed although I can't remember if it's been discussed on this board or not. I believe the change dates back only to the beginning of this season.

I"m excited about this episode. "Cabin Fever" will hopefully tell us more about Jacob and not how Locke, Ben and Hurley can't find the cabin... that would be very disappointing!

Exiled_Devil
05-08-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm pretty sure the city has been there (in the promos) all season. I read somewhere that it is a reference to the coming and goings about to happen...

mr. synellinden
05-08-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the city has been there (in the promos) all season. I read somewhere that it is a reference to the coming and goings about to happen...

Yes, you are right. I did some internet searching and found that people have noticed this since the season 4 logo/cast picture was released.

I've also been reading some of the lost blogs and theory boards about this whole "undead" concept (particularly with Claire and how Miles became so interested in her) and I had a thought. What if Lost refers to lost souls. What if the people on the island are the lost souls of the people who died in the plane crash? What if the island is a place where souls can take on a corporeal form? This is probably another theory that has been thrown out and widely discussed before but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Pacer
05-08-2008, 02:45 PM
That sounds a lot like purgatory, which was one of the earliest theories and was specifically shot down by the producers.

mr. synellinden
05-08-2008, 03:22 PM
That sounds a lot like purgatory, which was one of the earliest theories and was specifically shot down by the producers.

The latest Doc Jensen has some great stuff - some of which relates to this.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20198515,00.html

Lord Ash
05-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Holy boring. I fell asleep during Lost.

Seriously, that show is in real danger of sucking. So boring, too intricate, no answers ever; everyone just says cryptic things and walks away and everyone stares at them and doesn't ask any questions, perfectly okay with being in the dark... blech.

Jumbo
05-09-2008, 01:04 AM

Seriously, that show is in real danger of sucking. So boring, too intricate, no answers ever; everyone just says cryptic things and walks away and everyone stares at them and doesn't ask any questions, perfectly okay with being in the dark... blech.

I thought it was a terrific episode. To each his own, I suppose.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-09-2008, 08:18 AM
I thought it was a terrific episode. To each his own, I suppose.

I enjoyed the episode but not much happened. We did find out that both Christian and Claire were in the cabin. We saw the doctor's throat get slashed and Sayid left the big boat in a Zodiac to go back to the Island. And, oh yeah, Locke has to move the Island to save it. Maybe he can get Q to change the physical constants of the universe.....

Cormac
05-09-2008, 08:32 AM
I loved the episode, but a little disappointed that there was no Jacob sighting! I know, I know, its LOST and I should be used to/prepared for this sort of thing, but I was really hoping to learn a little more about Jacob after not having seen him for awhile now! Btw, there was an interview with Fox posted on comingsoon.net I believe in which he promises that some major, major questions are answered in the last two episodes of the season, for what its worth.....

onepresent
05-09-2008, 09:08 AM
...some major, major questions are answered in the last two episodes of the season, for what its worth.....

In a related topic, I understand the next version of Microsoft Windows is going to be fantastic!

meh

Jfrosh
05-09-2008, 09:14 AM

I fell asleep too, but I can only say "Thank God for DVR", because I caught what I missed this morning and I loved it. The scenes for next week look amazing as well. What the hell is Clair doing in the cabin? Move the Island? So the others have been watching Locke all along.

blublood
05-09-2008, 09:51 AM
I have to disagree, I thought it was a great episode. Of course, I like episodes that hinge on the interconnectedness between the Losties, so that was part of its charm.

I thought I had made a huge connection when the show ended. Emily is apparently the name of Locke's mother as well as Ben's... could they be the same person?? Could Emily have delivered Ben as a young woman after having had a baby as a teenager?

Unfortunately, Mr. blublood pointed out that Locke has already met his mother and that she is certifiably his mother because of the DNA tests and whatnot that the investigator did, so there goes that. But still kind of an interesting red herring.

blublood
05-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Oh yeah, and also did anyone else thinks shades of Harry Potter when Richard was talking about the "special school" for kids with special abilities? No?... O.k., maybe I read those books too much. :)

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-09-2008, 10:52 AM
I enjoyed the episode but not much happened. We did find out that both Christian and Claire were in the cabin. We saw the doctor's throat get slashed and Sayid left the big boat in a Zodiac to go back to the Island. And, oh yeah, Locke has to move the Island to save it. Maybe he can get Q to change the physical constants of the universe.....

Can we establish that Claire is dead yet? She wasn't herself at all and is in the cabin with Christian (also dead). Miles saw them walk off since he's a ghost whisperer. This would also explain why she had to leave Aaron. (BTW, since Aaron now is motherless, what's he eating? Is there Dharma-branded baby formula?

How frustrating is it that Jack's first thought is that, "I think they want us to follow them". I'm assuming that once Sawyer gets back to the beach, he'll be able to tell them that the mercs are going to kill them all.

My favorite scene from last night was Hurley sharing the candy bar with Ben. No spoken words, but great acting.

Nice TNG reference. The Q episodes were always my favorites.

Jumbo
05-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Can we establish that Claire is dead yet? She wasn't herself at all and is in the cabin with Christian (also dead). Miles saw them walk off since he's a ghost whisperer. This would also explain why she had to leave Aaron. (BTW, since Aaron now is motherless, what's he eating? Is there Dharma-branded baby formula?

How frustrating is it that Jack's first thought is that, "I think they want us to follow them". I'm assuming that once Sawyer gets back to the beach, he'll be able to tell them that the mercs are going to kill them all.

My favorite scene from last night was Hurley sharing the candy bar with Ben. No spoken words, but great acting.

Nice TNG reference. The Q episodes were always my favorites.

Jensen has been going on about "Claire is dead" for a couple of weeks now, and that theory is gaining traction. Also, a popular theory has involved Christian Shepherd actually BEING Jacob. That certainly gained traction too. And there are some weirdo theories about the island being various mythical things, one of which is an island that moves location. So that was a big easter egg. I feel like a ton happened last night. I'm hoping the psychic's warning to Claire from the first season plays into the action soon.

I agree about the candy bar scene, btw. It was fantastic.

I don't understand how anyone could say "nothing happened" last night.

johnb
05-09-2008, 01:22 PM
I thought it was super.

Quibbles: John's mother was a very thin hottie but also somehow pregnant enough to delier a baby using 1940's medical tchnology? John's father was twice as old as the mother (making him maybe 35), but the father we saw was in now way 35 years older than Locke. Does every single character's parent have to be a jerk, and now even the grandmothers and foster mothers (excepting Jin's dad, who was a prince)?

Having said that:

I was really surprised by Claire being there, and it was fun seeing another side to her personality; I was surprised by the dream and the return to the grave. Having the child Locke choose "his" items was also fun (it's how the Dalai Lama gets picked, by the way, though I bet he was allowed a mistake or two). I enjoyed the fact that his choice of the knife eliminated him temporarily, and that the show highlighted his fondness for knives (and machetes)--they've been a reason for the group to have survived this long on the island, which is also interesting. And I was surprised by several boat events. Given, there should be more to the show than more mysteries and inexplicable events, butu I would guess that at least some will be answered soon.

Lord Ash
05-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Hm, maybe I am generally losing interest in a lot of the storylines. I loved the show in the first year, but now with the whole boat thing, and the fight between Ben and Whidmore, and the total lack of any answers, and the leaving behind of the polar bear, and the lack of connectiveness of the time travel episode from a few days ago, and that the smoke monster couldn't even kill a single guy with a gun straight out... I dunno, I am just a bit bored by it. Couldn't care less about Jack at this point... in fact, the only character I am really interested in at the moment is the ghost whisperer guy.

I dunno; I think I am generally annoyed by how totally opaque everyone is in the show, and how NO ONE presses for answers it seems. Instead, everyone seems to be okay with being part of some bizarre mystery. I guess the show has just "lost" me a little.

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-09-2008, 02:14 PM
I completely forgot to mention how cool it was to see that Locke has apparently been dreaming about the island since childhood, did you catch his picture of Smokey on the wall?

And Smokey did kill at least one of the mercs, he died once getting back to the ship.

blublood
05-09-2008, 02:43 PM
I thought it was super.

Quibbles: John's mother was a very thin hottie but also somehow pregnant enough to delier a baby using 1940's medical tchnology? John's father was twice as old as the mother (making him maybe 35), but the father we saw was in now way 35 years older than Locke. Does every single character's parent have to be a jerk, and now even the grandmothers and foster mothers (excepting Jin's dad, who was a prince)?

Yeah, that was either an extraordinarily bad job by the wardrobe department or there's something there that we'll find out about later. I just re-watched today and they made a point of having her twirl around several times in front of the camera - each time obviously in no way pregnant. Granted, some women can get to six months unobtrusively, but no way would they be wearing a little sock hop skirt like that.

juise
05-09-2008, 03:09 PM
I completely forgot to mention how cool it was to see that Locke has apparently been dreaming about the island since childhood, did you catch his picture of Smokey on the wall?

You beat me to that. It explains the look of wonder in his eyes when he doesn't run from it in season 1.

Richard Alpert's interest in John from birth(!) is very intriguing to me... as was the visit from "Matthew Abaddon" (the so-called Oceanic attorney) to Locke at the hospital. This may be old news, but I am beginning to get the feel that Locke is being developed into Bruce Willis' character in Unbreakable. It seemed that Alpert's interest in him began when he beat the odds to survive as a baby. Abaddon was very clear is pointing out that he should not have survived his fall.

JasonEvans
05-09-2008, 04:00 PM

Dissent-- I don't think the phone/tracking device dropped from the copter was dropped by Keamy and his merry band of mercinaries. It was very clear to me that it was dropped by Frank Lapidus, the copter pilot who seems very sympathetic to the Lostaways. We saw Lapidus secretly wrapping a phone in something and then we see a phone get dropped. I think Lapidus is trying to tell Jack and his crew where to go to get on the copter and get saved. Meanwhile, I predict that Keamy and his guys will be left behind on the Island, probably to be stalked and killed one-by-one by the smoke monster.

I dunno why, but I am betting that when Locke "moves the island" to a new location Keamy and his crew will be left behind in someplace very bad to be. I also think that by "moving the island" Locke is going to accidentally hide the island from the Oceanic 6, which is why they will not be able to go back and rescue everyone else.

Just wild speculation on my part.

I was intrigued at Ben essentially handing over his role as "protector of the island" to Locke. Very strange. What are wee now supposed to think about the scene with Ben and Whitmore in Whitmore's bedroom? I was under the impression that scene happened in the future. If Ben has given over the island to Locke, what are he and Whitmore battling over at this point? Hmmm.

We better get a great explanation for Richard Alpert. While it was a fun "wow" moments to see him crop up several times in Locke's life, it really felt like a cheap stunt. It makes no sense to me that 1) Alpert would be tracking Locke from birth 2) test him for a trip to the "special school" 3) Locke would fail the test and then 4) Locke would later turn out to be a "Special person" on the island and the person who inherits Ben's mantle as protector or whatever of the island. I mean, if Locke is "the one" or whatever then why did he fail Alpert's test?

We need explanations to some of this stuff!!

-Jason "I thought it was a good episode, but not a great one-- I loved the Doc getting his throat slit though" Evans

jma4life
05-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Didn't Keanue Reeves fail the test in the Matrix when he could not jump all the way across the skyscrapers?

Also, I thought Alpert was a native of the Island at the start. Wouldn't it be odd for him to be Island hopping in the 1950's? Or were the natives capable of doing that kind of stuff even in the 1950's. I guess it wouldn't be unreasonable for a guy that doesn't age.

I still think Lost could have been more meaningful had it never gone too deep into the sci fi stuff. There was a point in which some serious stretches could have been made to explain everything. For the past couple of seasons, you have to accept it as a complete sci fi show. I still really enjoy it now that I have accepted this but I think it could have been better had it avoided some of this stuff. Maybe not as unique, maybe not as interesting, but more meaningful.

onepresent
05-09-2008, 04:37 PM
3) Locke would fail the test

My wife and I differ on this point. She too thought Locke failed the test. To me it looked like Richard Alpert was very surprised at at Locke's choice of the knife, told Locke he was wrong, and with much urgency left the house. Did he now have new information that he immediately needed to apply to a situation? It just felt that way to me, so I'm guessing.

This whole scene reminded of the way the Tibetians locate the young reincarnated Dalai Lama. I believe it was the movie Seven Years in Tibet that featured a similar scene.

I agree with posters about the scene with Hurley and Ben sharing a candy bar. At this point I enjoy seeing anything the actor Michael Emerson does.

johnb
05-09-2008, 05:02 PM
a) I dunno why, but I am betting that when Locke "moves the island" to a new location Keamy and his crew will be left behind in someplace very bad to be. I also think that by "moving the island" Locke is going to accidentally hide the island from the Oceanic 6, which is why they will not be able to go back and rescue everyone else.

Just wild speculation on my part.

b) I was intrigued at Ben essentially handing over his role as "protector of the island" to Locke. Very strange. What are wee now supposed to think about the scene with Ben and Whitmore in Whitmore's bedroom? I was under the impression that scene happened in the future. If Ben has given over the island to Locke, what are he and Whitmore battling over at this point? Hmmm.

c)We better get a great explanation for Richard Alpert. While it was a fun "wow" moments to see him crop up several times in Locke's life, it really felt like a cheap stunt. It makes no sense to me that 1) Alpert would be tracking Locke from birth 2) test him for a trip to the "special school" 3) Locke would fail the test and then 4) Locke would later turn out to be a "Special person" on the island and the person who inherits Ben's mantle as protector or whatever of the island. I mean, if Locke is "the one" or whatever then why did he fail Alpert's test?

We need explanations to some of this stuff!!

-Jason "I thought it was a good episode, but not a great one-- I loved the Doc getting his throat slit though" Evans

I'm thinking that a) is likely, though I hadn't thought of that
b) Ben doesn't hand stuff over without some plan; I think the key to that is when Ben compliments John after he gets Hurley to stay with them--maybe Ben is just trying to get John to be proactive.
c)as for the failed test, they seem to be doing it to Locke constantly. He was supposed to kill his father as a test (though he actually just conned Sawyer into it), and he failed the offer to go to Portland for the science summer school, which presumably was being run by Dharma (?).

Although maybe he DIDN'T fail the test that we think. While I'd assumed that he was supposed to pick the comic book, maybe his picking the knife has some relevance that would be damaging to Alpert's cause.

Jumbo
05-09-2008, 05:12 PM
My take on the "test" is quite simple. Locke knows which thing "belonged" to him. But he chose what he wanted to belong to him. Remember, he originally asked Richard about the object "to keep?" In the end, it was Locke choosing what he wanted rather than what he had to do. When he is ready to choose what he must do, rather than wants to do, then he'll "pass" the "test."

JasonEvans
05-09-2008, 05:24 PM
... he failed the offer to go to Portland for the science summer school, which presumably was being run by Dharma (?).

Ya think?

Mittleos Science Camp is where Locke was being recruited. You probably recall the company that hired Juliet to go to the island in the "Not In Portland" episode was Mittleos Bioscience. Richard Alpert is the person who recruiting Juliet to work for Mittleos.

And, you probably have heard that Mittleos is an anagram for "Lost Time."

I am with you folks though on the notion that Locke picking the knife was not failing the test but was something that perhaps alarmed Richard Alpert. That would be kinda cool.

As an aside, check out the cover of the comic that Locke did not pick--

http://images.lostpedia.com/images/9/93/Mysterytales.jpg

--Jason "love the show, but we are reaching the point where we do need to start getting some answers-- even if they are only minor answers" Evans

2535Miles
05-09-2008, 05:34 PM
This wasn't an action-packed episode but I really enjoyed it, especially after watching it a second time. I definitely get the feeling (hoping) we're being set up for the last hours of Lost. I don't need all the answers today but I sure hope a few questions are answered next episode.

There were lots of little pieces that caught my attention.

1) John and Ben's relationship with Alpert. I seem to remember him consulting Ben last season and he advises John, in the Man from Tallahassee, how to kill his father in order to gain acceptance from The Others. This now appears to be the second time he has tested John; once as a child and now as an adult. I'm starting to feel like Alpert is a silent partner with Jacob. He's not the leader of the Others, but he's choosing leaders for Jacob. Ben also echoes this as he's resigned to the fact that he doesn't have dreams anymore, and that he didn't kill the DI, his boss did.

2) John and Ben both have a mother named Emily.

3) And Claire, I really enjoyed seeing her in the corner. It was a whole new side of her personality, and I don't know about you guys but she was kinda sexy.

4) Then there's Matthew "I'm scarier than you" Abaddon coaching John, planting ideas in his head like the walk-about. Does that mean he knew John would go to Australia, and that John would be turned around and sent home, which would put him on Oceanic 815 to inevitably crash onto the Island? Maybe Captain Creepy Face intended for John's walkabout to begin and end on the Island in the first place, not Australia.

I like the idea that John, as a child, picked the knife because he wanted it, which my show his desire to control fate, as well as "Don't tell me what I can do"; but now after his walkabout on the Island he arrives at Jacob's cabin and accepts his fate. So I say, blame the crash on John. :)

Udaman
05-09-2008, 06:30 PM
To me, it seemed that the Alpert - young John scene is Alpert traveling back through time to visit John as a kid. They already know who he is, and they have the ability to move around in time somehow. This wasn't them picking him to go to the island, this was them visiting him as a child to learn more about him....or at least that's my take. If it is indeed that they picked him years before - that seems pretty lame.

Overall, though I really liked it. The doctor getting killed shows that the island is off time somehow.

I agree with JE that they move the island and the Six can't get back (except for Ben). Also, when Ben and Whitmore met, Ben said to him "You'll never find it." Could it be a Christmas ornament somewhere (another shout out to a Q episode, though this one was on Voyager).

This show rocks, though. I know in 2 weeks I'm going to be massively bummed to have to wait until February to have it continue.

BCGroup
05-10-2008, 09:58 AM
My take on the "test" is quite simple. Locke knows which thing "belonged" to him. But he chose what he wanted to belong to him. Remember, he originally asked Richard about the object "to keep?" In the end, it was Locke choosing what he wanted rather than what he had to do. When he is ready to choose what he must do, rather than wants to do, then he'll "pass" the "test."

I thought this linked to the conversation in school where he "wants" to be the quarterback, etc. and the teacher tells him he can't be that but he needs to be what he is destined to be. I saw it as a thread of John picking what he thinks he wants vs. what he is supposed to be. But I could be off base--I am always stumped. By the way, Jason, I agree that the pilot dumped the tracking device so they can get to the helicopter to get off the island. That was my immediate thought when I saw it.

johnb
05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
To me, it seemed that the Alpert - young John scene is Alpert traveling back through time to visit John as a kid. They already know who he is, and they have the ability to move around in time somehow. This wasn't them picking him to go to the island, this was them visiting him as a child to learn more about him....or at least that's my take. If it is indeed that they picked him years before - that seems pretty lame.

I got the impression that they were forecasting his greatness, but I think you're right that Alpert had the ability to go back and check people out. Time travel they have, great predictive powers... not so much.

blublood
05-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Although maybe he DIDN'T fail the test that we think. While I'd assumed that he was supposed to pick the comic book, maybe his picking the knife has some relevance that would be damaging to Alpert's cause.

That's what I thought. Obviously, Richard was pretty ticked that he took the knife - he snatched it back, said, "No, it doesn't" and then left in a huff. You got a vibe of frustration and massive disappointment.

But we have no way of knowing at this point whether Richard, Ben and Co. (or are they even aligned? This is called into question too with Richard going behind Ben's back to help Locke out and now Ben saying that he was never their "leader"...) are a force for good or a force for evil. So it could be that failing Richard's test was the best thing Locke could have done.

At our house, our theory about the way Lost is playing out is that there are two opposing, equally bad forces in play. One of them is Widmore-related, which also presumably includes the Hanso foundation. One of them is Ben/Other-related - after Widmore lost control of the island (or the island was "moved" or whatever), Ben has been the one bringing people to the island under the auspices of Mittelos, seeing Jacob, etc.

I think that the island itself has a consciousness and a will and that's what brought the original Losties to it. It's the island working to free itself which, as far as I can tell, is the one good force in the midst of those who would seek to exploit it.

Pacer
05-13-2008, 01:35 PM
theory...

Richard was alerted that Locke has a connection with the island and would be its caretaker.. but he didn't know when Locke's time would come. Richard administered the test, and found out that it wasn't Locke's time yet. I know that time is weird, but if Locke and Ben are close to the same age, then Richard would have run into young Ben in the woods close to the time that Richard was meeting with young Locke (based on the scenes of young Ben and young Locke). So, maybe after meeting with Locke and realizing that it wasn't Locke's time, Richard then met Ben and found it to be Ben's time.

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Dissent-- I don't think the phone/tracking device dropped from the copter was dropped by Keamy and his merry band of mercinaries. It was very clear to me that it was dropped by Frank Lapidus, the copter pilot who seems very sympathetic to the Lostaways. We saw Lapidus secretly wrapping a phone in something and then we see a phone get dropped. I think Lapidus is trying to tell Jack and his crew where to go to get on the copter and get saved.

See I thought Lapidus dropped it so the Losties could keep away from the guys with automatic weapons, not go find them.

Pacer
05-13-2008, 04:48 PM
See I thought Lapidus dropped it so the Losties could keep away from the guys with automatic weapons, not go find them.

We saw Lapidus using the phone to monitor the locations of the swat team when Lapidus ran into Sawyer, Aaron, and Hurley. I wouldn't be surprised if it can also let them know the location of the helicopter. So, it can lead them to the helicopter and let them dodge the swat team to do so.

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-13-2008, 05:02 PM
We saw Lapidus using the phone to monitor the locations of the swat team when Lapidus ran into Sawyer, Aaron, and Hurley. I wouldn't be surprised if it can also let them know the location of the helicopter. So, it can lead them to the helicopter and let them dodge the swat team to do so.

That's only if Sawyer/Miles finds Jack n Co first and stops them from walking into a deathtrap. As of now, no one on the beach knows that the mercs are out there trying to kill everyone.

But yes, I agree that the phone will allow Jack to track the movement of the merc team and/or the chopper.

Can we please have someone yell "Get to the chopper!" in the next episode, preferably with a thick Austrian accent?

dukeblueyes
05-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Just watched the episode. I thought it was funny how when high-school Locke is in the office and he starts rejecting the science camp idea, he starts with "I like boxing..." This just made me giggle because I thought he was going to say boxes, since he worked for a box company before his attempt at the walkabout.

But I agree, we need some answers soon. I used to think I had a pretty good grasp of the show, but after 4 seasons and a gazillion little time travel things, I keep forgetting everything I have to keep track of in order to "solve" the big picture.

BlueDevilBaby
05-14-2008, 05:19 PM
I keep forgetting everything I have to keep track of in order to "solve" the big picture.

I don't even try to solve anything anymore. I don't recall half the stuff that is mentioned here from prior episodes. I decided during second season to just sit back and enjoy the ride. I plan to watch from day one after the series is over though.

JasonEvans
05-15-2008, 10:10 AM
I don't even try to solve anything anymore. I don't recall half the stuff that is mentioned here from prior episodes. I decided during second season to just sit back and enjoy the ride. I plan to watch from day one after the series is over though.

It does sometimes take a phenomenal memory to place where things from previous episodes belong in the context of the current episode. For example, I spent 5 minutes last week trying to expolain to my wife who Horace Goodspeed was and where she had seen him before.

I think rewatching it from the beginning will be an interesting but perhaps frustrating exercise. There are tons of little mysteries and events that happened early on that I bet will never be addressed. They were, I think, added at that moment for drama and mystery but were not part of the overall mythology of the show. So, at the time, we obsessed over them and their meaning but we have now pout them aside and don't really care.

For example, I bet Walt's appearant ability to create things from his imagination (the comic book polar bears and the bird he was reading about in Australia with his mom and adopted dad) will never be explained. I bet the Hurley bird and Kate's horse will never be explained. I really wonder if we will ever learn what the heck Ben was talking about when he said "I want lists" when the Lostaways first crashed. Heck, I wonder if we will ever find out why the Others wanted Walt or what they did with him. I am not sure we will ever again see the people from the plane who were taken by the Others in seasons 1 and 2.

There are many more things like that-- events that happened early on that seemed so important and mysterious at the time that will probably never be answered. MAybe, when the show is done, the producers will come out with a book or ultimate DVD explaining everything in the series -- though I think the answer for a lot of it is, "we thought it would be cool for the audience at the time and we never went back to explain why."

Oh, and I am almost certain that we will never find out why the numbers matter.

-Jason "I am fine with all this stuff, by the way, though it is frustrating to think about sometimes" Evans

BlueDevilBaby
05-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Perhaps Walt did not imagine these things to life, but brought them here, like DI. Anyway, I am fine with open issues as well, just as long as I know what happens to current characters in the end.

Exiled_Devil
05-15-2008, 12:20 PM
It does sometimes take a phenomenal memory to place where things from previous episodes belong in the context of the current episode. For example, I spent 5 minutes last week trying to expolain to my wife who Horace Goodspeed was and where she had seen him before.

I think rewatching it from the beginning will be an interesting but perhaps frustrating exercise. There are tons of little mysteries and events that happened early on that I bet will never be addressed. They were, I think, added at that moment for drama and mystery but were not part of the overall mythology of the show. So, at the time, we obsessed over them and their meaning but we have now pout them aside and don't really care.

For example, I bet Walt's appearant ability to create things from his imagination (the comic book polar bears and the bird he was reading about in Australia with his mom and adopted dad) will never be explained. I bet the Hurley bird and Kate's horse will never be explained. I really wonder if we will ever learn what the heck Ben was talking about when he said "I want lists" when the Lostaways first crashed. Heck, I wonder if we will ever find out why the Others wanted Walt or what they did with him. I am not sure we will ever again see the people from the plane who were taken by the Others in seasons 1 and 2.

There are many more things like that-- events that happened early on that seemed so important and mysterious at the time that will probably never be answered. MAybe, when the show is done, the producers will come out with a book or ultimate DVD explaining everything in the series -- though I think the answer for a lot of it is, "we thought it would be cool for the audience at the time and we never went back to explain why."

Oh, and I am almost certain that we will never find out why the numbers matter.

-Jason "I am fine with all this stuff, by the way, though it is frustrating to think about sometimes" Evans

Almost all that you mentioned I expect an explanation for - some I thought were already done "I want Lists" was Ben asking for who was on the plane and whether they were good or bad - the good/bad we need to learn about, but I think that is a big part of the island mythology. Remember, he asked Mikail to look up the passengers on 851 when he went to the communication station.

Also, I will be disapointed if we don't get a little more about Walt. I won't be surprised if he plays a big role in the final season. I will be upset if he fades away. Methinks Walt and Aaron may be hte next generation of Ben and Locke (that might not be good for them)

And I have assumed the people taken are either dead or with the Others - at the Temple. We do need an explanation for the kid stealing, which I again thinks goes back to the good/bad.

What I expect to never know is the 4 toed statue and anything concrete about the numbers in character's lives.

Exiled

PS - just thought: does the electromagnetic release move the island? If not, what does? New hatch?

Pacer
05-15-2008, 07:29 PM
What I expect to never know is the 4 toed statue and anything concrete about the numbers in character's lives.

I actually think that the producers stated we will know more about the 4-toed statue... so yay to that.