PDA

View Full Version : Meat Preferences

Shammrog
05-08-2008, 10:41 AM
What is your favorite kind of meat?

Channing
05-08-2008, 10:47 AM
I will once again profess my love for Boerewors (as I have on several threads to date). In fact, perhaps the Atlanta Mafia will be up for a Braves game at some point this summer preceded by a tailgate where I will bring some of this delicious sausage and grill it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boerewors

blublood
05-08-2008, 10:53 AM
O.k., I said "other" because my favorite is undoubtedly steak which I consider a different category from mere "beef." :) In heaven there will undoubtedly be some of the steaks that my dad cooks, so everybody get ready. He buys these steaks made from cows who must have done a lot of cow yoga because they are incredibly tender and delicious. Charcoal grill; Southern Seasoning; wrap in bacon; utter paradise!

onepresent
05-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Live meat.

Cats and dogs are a fave. Humans a close second. Most all animals are OK with me.

rthomas
05-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Living in a state (WV) where barbecue is a verb and something you do on a Saturday night, I have been trying to perfect the noun since I moved here in 1995. I think that I do a pretty good job of it. Ususally, I do about 5 pork butts at a time and freeze the leftovers becasue it takes all day and I smell like I've been camping out for a week after smoking the butts.

And I use Dennis Roger's vinegar and hot pepper sauce.

Shammrog
05-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Living in a state (WV) where barbecue is a verb and something you do on a Saturday night, I have been trying to perfect the noun since I moved here in 1995. I think that I do a pretty good job of it. Ususally, I do about 5 pork butts at a time and freeze the leftovers becasue it takes all day and I smell like I've been camping out for a week after smoking the butts.

And I use Dennis Roger's vinegar and hot pepper sauce.

I am assuming it is not *this* "Dennis Rogers?"

http://www.dennisrogers.net/index.php

Seriously - go to the site; then check out some of his vids on YouTube. Never seen anything like it in my life... Especially the bending of the frying pan.

rthomas
05-08-2008, 11:20 AM

Seriously - go to the site; then check out some of his vids on YouTube. Never seen anything like it in my life... Especially the bending of the frying pan.

;) No, this one:
Dennis Rogers Version
(Rogers is a popular columnist for the Raleigh News & Observer and self-proclaimed "Oracle of the Holy Grub".)
1 gallon cider vinegar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoon red pepper
3 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar or 1/2 cup molasses

DukeDevil
05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
This reminds me of when I went to a Sonic and asked what kind of meat was in the hot dog. The response was awlmayt. Clearly I was confused. After repeating 2 more times the man on the other end got frustrated and enunciated "it has AWL KINDS, ALL MEAT"

I was impressed that sonic could fit hedgehog and condor in there, but hey, who am I to argue.

Channing
05-08-2008, 11:21 AM

that can't be real can it?

Shammrog
05-08-2008, 11:23 AM
that can't be real can it?

Yes, it is. I first saw him on a Discovery Channel show about human strength. Amazing, huh?

billybreen
05-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Clearly, Throaty's mom hasn't voted. Her favorite is at 0.

DevilAlumna
05-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Steak, hamburger, pot roast... it's what's for dinner!

EarlJam
05-08-2008, 11:54 AM
I voted light meat but I include pork BBQ in that.

Pork BBQ, though I rarely eat it these days, is my most favorite meat. Can't beat it.

-EJ

2535Miles
05-08-2008, 12:10 PM
I had to vote "Other". Trying to pick a favorite meat is like trying to pick a favorite song or favorite artist. I love the stuff too much to have a favorite. My friends and I started a club, M.E.A.T.; Men Eating Animals Together.

I'm going to make breakfast now, with pork.

camion
05-08-2008, 12:14 PM
I like my meat orange.

It seems I'm on a salmon kick recently. Some may call it pink or red, but it's orange.

Jfrosh
05-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Filet Mignon, Prime Rib, Ribeye -medium rare - in other words COW.
Also love corned beef and dark meat chicken.

Fish80
05-08-2008, 12:20 PM
porterhouse

DukieInKansas
05-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Definitely beef.
Nothing better than a nice medium rare steak.

Lavabe
05-08-2008, 12:46 PM
I will once again profess my love for Boerewors (as I have on several threads to date). In fact, perhaps the Atlanta Mafia will be up for a Braves game at some point this summer preceded by a tailgate where I will bring some of this delicious sausage and grill it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boerewors

Who has it in Atlanta? I'd like to try grilling it.
Cheers,
Lavabe

TheRose77
05-08-2008, 12:53 PM
I voted for pork. Lord, I do miss my barbecue. Whenever to go home to High Point, I always stop at Kepleys and have a sandwich or two and an order of hush puppies. Makes me happy just to think about it. Here in Fairfield, CT, there is a restaurant that specializes in barbecued various things. The owner has won many cook offs, and is very proud of his business, but it just ain't Kepleys. And get this, guys, he doesn't serve hush puppies! (Not enough requests to justify the effort.) So I buy the meat, bring it home and make my own puppies. Ya'll don't know how good you have it living where the barbecue is good. Get on your knees right now and thank God for your good fortune.

devildeac
05-08-2008, 01:07 PM
loaf

Channing
05-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Who has it in Atlanta? I'd like to try grilling it.
Cheers,
Lavabe

you can pick it up at Goldberg's in Atlanta. But if you want the good stuff let me know. We get it specially made by a butcher - and he makes like 50 pounds of it at a time for us.

The best part is that its only about 3 or 4 dollars a pound!

Just PM me and we can get an exchange organized.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Steaks - ribeye, NY Strip, filet mignon, porter house/T-bone
Prime Rib
Corned beef
Pastrami
Hamburgers
Ham
Turkey and chicken
All beef kosher hot dogs

devildeac
05-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Steaks - ribeye, NY Strip, filet mignon, porter house/T-bone
Prime Rib
Corned beef
Pastrami
Hamburgers
Ham
Turkey and chicken
All beef kosher hot dogs

I think you left out... oh, never mind, you did not leave anything out...:D

hc5duke
05-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I picked "other." Goat, rabbit, venison - not in any particular order. From the list I'll go with Pork. I've also had dog meat, but that's another story.

DukeFencer
05-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Goat and lamb, which living in Atlanta and working with families from all over the world I have had amazing opportunities to eat in very delicious meals!

And of course, bbq pork. Ymmm.

rockymtn devil
05-08-2008, 02:23 PM
I like duck, but it's really hard to grill without getting serious flare-ups and ruining the meat. In the beef department, nothing beats a ribeye--perfect balance of tenderness and fat/flavor.

EarlJam
05-08-2008, 02:41 PM
I like my meat orange.

It seems I'm on a salmon kick recently. Some may call it pink or red, but it's orange.

I love salmon.

I love to grill cedar plank salmon.

I also love to cook lemon-dill salmon.

I also love salmon sushi (though tuna is my favorite).

Salmon rocks! When my mamma says it, she pronounces the "L" (Sal-mon). It makes me mad as hell and I once shoved her into a wall over it. Just kidding (about the shoving). She does pronounce it that way though. And refuses to change.

Like salmon, though, I love my mom..........though not in the same way.

I love my mother in a godly way, I love salmon for its flavor and texture.

Also, I love the fact salmon is good for you.

And speaking of you, I love all of you too.

Love,

-EarlJam

2535Miles
05-08-2008, 02:54 PM
And get this, guys, he doesn't serve hush puppies! (Not enough requests to justify the effort.)
Perhaps you can take him a bag of mix and ask him to fry them up for you. :D

Ya'll don't know how good you have it living where the barbecue is good.
I'm sure we all do. When I moved to San Diego I was lucky enough to find a decent place called Big Jim's BBQ. It was a cool Alabama style restaurant with cajun style hushpuppies. Unfortunately some yahoo bought it and turned it into another darn fish restaurant; like a beach town really needed another one.:mad:

2535Miles
05-08-2008, 03:01 PM
I like duck, but it's really hard to grill without getting serious flare-ups and ruining the meat. In the beef department, nothing beats a ribeye--perfect balance of tenderness and fat/flavor.

How are you grilling it? I'd actually go a step further and smoke/grill it with indirect heat. If you're using charcoal, set up two zones (one with, the other without coals) and throw one of those disposable aluminum roasting pans underneath the bird. That will catch the fat, prevent flare ups and give you a nice, long, slow roast. Mmmmm.

I'm going to eat some lunch with meat now.

ugadevil
05-08-2008, 04:47 PM
I went with beef. Call me old fashioned but I prefer a hamburger off the backyard grill over anything else.

rockymtn devil
05-08-2008, 06:42 PM
How are you grilling it? I'd actually go a step further and smoke/grill it with indirect heat. If you're using charcoal, set up two zones (one with, the other without coals) and throw one of those disposable aluminum roasting pans underneath the bird. That will catch the fat, prevent flare ups and give you a nice, long, slow roast. Mmmmm.

I'm going to eat some lunch with meat now.

I usually cook duck breasts on direct-low for about 14-15 minutes (turning once). That gets it to medium-rare. I also trim some of the fat off and score the skin, which tends to help moderate the flare-ups.

I'll give it a try on indirect heat.

YmoBeThere
05-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Go to a good Brazilian barbecue and you can get all of the above...man, I miss Brazilian barbecues.

captmojo
05-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Blackened ribeye over mesquite charcoal. Medium rare.

Cows is tasty critters, yes? ;)

Channing
05-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Go to a good Brazilian barbecue and you can get all of the above...man, I miss Brazilian barbecues.

mmmmm ... Fogo De Chow(sp?)

ugadevil
05-08-2008, 08:09 PM
mmmmm ... Fogo De Chow(sp?)

Sounds like a good enough spelling to me. Fogo de Chao (http://www.fogodechao.com/), best meat I've ever eaten.

rockymtn devil
05-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Blackened ribeye over mesquite charcoal. Medium rare.

Cows is tasty critters, yes? ;)

This is pretty much the perfect steak right here. I have to admit, though, that I'm not a true purist--I use gas :rolleyes:

hc5duke
05-08-2008, 08:42 PM
This is pretty much the perfect steak right here. I have to admit, though, that I'm not a true purist--I use gas :rolleyes:

Taste the meat, not the heat, I tell you hwhat...
http://www.dangitbobby.com/images/200px-HankHill.jpg

However, I use charcoal.

YmoBeThere
05-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Sounds like a good enough spelling to me. Fogo de Chao (http://www.fogodechao.com/), best meat I've ever eaten.

Now think, Fogo de Chao for less than $10. Probably not that cheap any more but my summer in Brazil was a meat bonanza.

captmojo
05-11-2008, 11:35 AM

I admit I also use gas. I have been known to use smoker boxes with mesquite chips. When the lid is closed, the almost same effect is acheived. Close enough to not be too purist against the difference.

Of course, Angus beef is preferred. I like to finish on the table with Worchester and lemon/lime juice.

devildeac
05-11-2008, 11:40 AM
One of the funnier bumper stickers I have ever seen:

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures-right next to the mashed potatoes.

Lord Ash
05-11-2008, 10:24 PM
ONLY THREE VOTESFOR PORK?!

Seriously you people!!!

-Pork chops.

-Pork tenderloin.

-Baby back ribs.

-Pork fried rice.

-Ham.

-Pulled pork.

-Prosciutto

and the king of food...

- BACON

Seriously. While a delicious filet mignon is hard to beat, for overall number of delicious foods, pork is The Ultimate Food.

In fact; dinner tonight:
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/567/ribszh5.jpg

glutton
05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Duck is definitely my favorite meat, with lamb coming in second.

I'd take a nice tuna steak or salmon fillet over either though...

devildeac
05-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Duck is definitely my favorite meat, with lamb coming in second.

I'd take a nice tuna steak or salmon fillet over either though...

Which then would make duck and lamb your 3rd and 4th favorites, right;) ?

Lavabe
05-13-2008, 12:04 AM
I just saw a place that will be opening up soon. It features:

KOSHER BARBECUE :eek:

HUH?? :eek:

What meat would they serve? I think I can envision loads of brisket. Otherwise, what else?

NOTE: as this involves neither Kentucky nor North Carolina, AND this does not involve pork, I did not post this question in the traditional 'cue thread.

Cheers,
Lavabe