PDA

View Full Version : How long is your Starbucks order?

billybreen
05-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Ok, this poll is limited to those who order drinks from Starbucks. Discussions of how Starbucks sucks (either by being a big annoying corporation or having inferior coffee or being expensive or some other whininess :)) can go in a different thread, please.

My order has been growing recently, so it's now getting fairly arcane. My current drink is a 'triple venti vanilla non-fat latte.' Counting by syllables, that's 11.

AtlBluRew
05-07-2008, 02:33 PM
"venti coffee" .. .and I feel silly saying "venti!"

hc5duke
05-07-2008, 02:44 PM
me-di-um mar-ble mo-cha ma-chia-tto = 10
me-di-um ja-va chip frap-pa-cci-no = 10

Yes, I call it medium, deal with it Mr. "Barista"

Technically the first one should be 11 since I pronounce it ma-chi-a-tto, but that's like saying athlete has 3 syllables :-p

Bluedawg
05-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Large cofˇfee

colchar
05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Yes, I call it medium, deal with it Mr. "Barista"

The only time I've ever been to one of their franchises I ordered an extra-large and the moron behind the counter looked at me and asked 'Do you mean a Venti?" I replied that I he knew exactly what I meant and that he should quit being a pretentious schmuck. I've had friends complain about the same thing happening when they've been forced to go to a Starbucks. No other coffee place that I've been to insists on acting this way.

ugadevil
05-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Mine is ridiculously long because they hardly ever have what I want. I love to get a coconut mocha frappuccino, but only certain employees are willing to make it. After they refuse to make it, I make a frustrated attempt at ordering something else.

2535Miles
05-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Venti Coffee, room for cream.

Fish80
05-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Venti Coffee, room for cream.

Tall coffee with extra room for milk

billybreen
05-07-2008, 04:01 PM
The only time I've ever been to one of their franchises I ordered an extra-large and the moron behind the counter looked at me and asked 'Do you mean a Venti?" I replied that I he knew exactly what I meant and that he should quit being a pretentious schmuck. I've had friends complain about the same thing happening when they've been forced to go to a Starbucks. No other coffee place that I've been to insists on acting this way.

So I guess my first post didn't discourage Colchar's latest declaration of proud individualism. You go! ;)

Cavlaw
05-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Coffee. The big one.

No, I don't often go to Starbucks. When I do, and my wife is not with me, she must write down her order so that I may pass the piece of paper to the dude behind the counter rather than try to remember the absurdity which she claims is a coffee drink.

Bostondevil
05-07-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm not voting in the poll because I rarely go into a Starbucks, but when I do, I get a tea, so one syllable. Sometimes I'll get a hot chocolate there as well.

hc5duke
05-07-2008, 04:44 PM
So I guess my first post didn't discourage Colchar's latest declaration of proud individualism. You go! ;)

Starbucks sucks!

EarlJam
05-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Five syllables...

"Re-gu-lar-cof-fee."

-EarlJam

Indoor66
05-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Starbucks sucks!

Agreed. I avoid Starbucks.

Clipsfan
05-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Agreed. I avoid Starbucks.

And it's too expensive.

wilson
05-07-2008, 05:42 PM
And it's too expensive.

And their coffee, according to best industry practices, is harvested when underripe and then overroasted. That's why it tastes like crap.

Take THAT, breen! We refuse to bow to your attempted oppression.

TNTDevil
05-07-2008, 05:43 PM
... from RTWBM's "New Rules":

New Rule: The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.!. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a "decaf grande half-soy, half-lowfat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one Sweet-n'-Low and one NutraSweet," ooh, you're a huge I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..

WeepingThomasHill
05-07-2008, 05:45 PM
I hate Starbucks and coffee generally. So my answer is 0.

wilson
05-07-2008, 05:47 PM
... from RTWBM's "New Rules":

What's RTWBM?

TNTDevil
05-07-2008, 05:50 PM
What's RTWBM?HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher. Remember Maher's Politically Incorrect? Same type of show only on HBO.

For me, Appointment TV!

wilson
05-07-2008, 05:53 PM
HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher. Remember Maher's Politically Incorrect? Same type of show only on HBO.

For me, Appointment TV!

Gotcha...I love that show too, but I don't get HBO. And for the record, I think his panel show actually started on HBO before moving to (and not making it on) standard cable and then switching back to HBO.

Lavabe
05-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Gotcha...I love that show too, but I don't get HBO. And for the record, I think his panel show actually started on HBO before moving to (and not making it on) standard cable and then switching back to HBO.

It's audio podcasted, along with Two Minutes Maher, and other features. It's a lifesaver for those of us who don't have HBO. They video podcasted a few episodes this year, but not many were posted.

IIRC, the show is on break until the fall. They just had their last episode of the season.

FWIW, I'll have Red Tea.

Wilson: When the semester is up again, please check out the Green Bean Coffee Cart by Emory's DUC (next to the SunTrust by the post office). One of my former students got it up and running this year. A few of my former students (sigh!!) will be running it in the fall semester.

Cheers,
Lavabe

TNTDevil
05-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Gotcha...I love that show too, but I don't get HBO. And for the record, I think his panel show actually started on HBO before moving to (and not making it on) standard cable and then switching back to HBO.[thread hijack]
Yep, it's an excellent show. Guess we are fellow "Stinkin' Communist Obama Lovers."

I don't remember the genesis of his show but, I do remember him getting fired from PI on ABC because of his comments regarding "bravery" after 9.11.

[/thread hijack]

bdh21
05-07-2008, 07:12 PM

It actually started on Comedy Central before moving to network tv, where it didn't make it... then it was revived on HBO

DevilAlumna
05-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Depends on the weather and time of day.

In the morning it's usually:

Gran-de ex-tra shot one splen-da lat-te (10)

Afternoon:

tall one splen-da lat-te (6), or
tall al-mond lat-te (5)

Sunny and warm:

gran-de non-fat iced rasp-ber-ry lat-te. (10).

YmoBeThere
05-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Grande Hot Chocolate...

merry
05-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Regular coffee grande (7 syllables)

BTW I notice a lot of you apparently order your coffees properly - size first. Someone once told me that's how the Starbuck's cashier has to enter the order so it's marginally easier for them if you tell them the size first. But somehow that's counter intuitive for me.

DevilAlumna
05-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Regular coffee grande (7 syllables)

BTW I notice a lot of you apparently order your coffees properly - size first. Someone once told me that's how the Starbuck's cashier has to enter the order so it's marginally easier for them if you tell them the size first. But somehow that's counter intuitive for me.

I thought it was because as they take your order, they grab the cup (based on what size you ask for) and write down the rest of what you say on the cup.

billybreen
05-07-2008, 10:28 PM
And their coffee, according to best industry practices, is harvested when underripe and then overroasted. That's why it tastes like crap.

Take THAT, breen! We refuse to bow to your attempted oppression.

I should have realized there was no better way to encourage whining than to discourage it. I need to use reverse psychology on you people, like you're 8. :)

billybreen
05-07-2008, 10:30 PM
It actually started on Comedy Central before moving to network tv, where it didn't make it... then it was revived on HBO

I thought it was canceled from Comedy Central because Bill Maher wanted the terrorists to win.

hamster
05-07-2008, 10:33 PM
number of syllables prior to introduction of 'skinny' as an official term: 12
number of syllables post: 9

it put me in a whole different category!

billybreen
05-07-2008, 10:36 PM
number of syllables prior to introduction of 'skinny' as an official term: 12
number of syllables post: 9

it put me in a whole different category!

Nice! I've had to train at least 3 different baristas that my drink order does not mean skinny. For a while, they assumed that 'non-fat' meant skinny, but I sure as heckfire don't want sugar-free. Yuck.

Exiled_Devil
05-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Put me in the "starbucks sucks" camp. Give me local coffe shops any day of hte week (Go Bean Traders on 9th street!)

I have, however, a regular semi-pretentious order : medium latte, slightly dry. See, I like less foam than a good cappuccino, but more than a proper latte. It takes me about 10 visits to train any given barista.

hamster
05-07-2008, 11:02 PM
i don't so much think of it as training as finding, sort of like finding a good bartender to make your favorite drink.
ive been known to a walk a few blocks out of my way to find a good barista. i'll walk even longer to find a good bartender.

ugadevil
05-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Fair Trade Coff-ee. Oh wait, that's not a choice!

camion
05-07-2008, 11:30 PM
There is no 0 option so I can't vote.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-08-2008, 12:30 AM
You have no option for 0.

gus
05-08-2008, 02:57 AM
My last starbucks order was about 40 syllables.

Could I have a macchiato please? No, not a caramel macchiato. An espresso macchiato - just a shot of espresso with a "touch" of foamed milk.

DukeDevil
05-08-2008, 08:23 AM
zero!

*point to coffee, point to medium cup, slap money on counter*

billybreen
05-08-2008, 08:39 AM
You have no option for 0.

Yes, as I said in the first post, this is a question for those who drink Starbucks. You DBRers don't follow instructions well. :)

alteran
05-08-2008, 08:57 AM
I thought it was canceled from Comedy Central because Bill Maher wanted the terrorists to win.

It was canceled from ABC because Bill Maher wanted the terrorists to win. I suspect Comedy Central could have rode it out.

I had mixed feelings and knew what Bill was trying to say, but he perhaps should have held his tongue on that one.

Getting back to the thread, I usually say, "A large, please." 3 syllables.

Like many, I have always found the whole venti- grande- thing pretentious. Unlike everyone else, I have NEVER been hassled by a barrista for ordering a "large." The only retort I ever get is, "room for cream?"

wilson
05-08-2008, 09:51 AM
It was canceled from ABC because Bill Maher wanted the terrorists to win. I suspect Comedy Central could have rode it out.

I had mixed feelings and knew what Bill was trying to say, but he perhaps should have held his tongue on that one.

Like many, I have always found the whole venti- grande- thing pretentious. Unlike everyone else, I have NEVER been hassled by a barrista for ordering a "large." The only retort I ever get is, "room for cream?"

Yeah, baristas at any coffee place always ask me if I want room for cream. Then they look at me like I'm crazy when I say no. Does nobody take their coffee black?

OZZIE4DUKE
05-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Yes, as I said in the first post, this is a question for those who drink Starbucks. You DBRers don't follow instructions well. :)

I saw the poll and didn't read any of the posts before posting, since my answer wasn't listed. Mea culpa.:p

TNTDevil
05-08-2008, 10:16 AM

I had mixed feelings and knew what Bill was trying to say, but he perhaps should have held his tongue on that one.[thread hijack]For the record, I agreed with what Maher said on that show. We Americans are so thin-skinned when it comes to admitting that other "enemy combatants" can be just as brave, or moreso, than our soldiers. As for Maher holding his tongue- I don't think he's capable.[/thread hijack]

Like many, I have always found the whole venti- grande- thing pretentious. Unlike everyone else, I have NEVER been hassled by a barrista for ordering a "large." The only retort I ever get is, "room for cream?"Yeah, it's kinda' stupid. If I'm gonna' order the size in a furrin language I should have to order the entire beverage in the furrin language.

Oh, and my order(s) are:
Ven-ti iced mo-cha, no whip cream (eight) or;
Gran-de lat-te (four) or;
Tall cap-pu-ccin-o (five)

throatybeard
05-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I staunchly refuse to use the real Italian names for the menu items there. I mosey in the door in my rural Southern way and ask for "double 'spresso, whup cream."

Unlike Colcahar, I don't pick a fight with the barista, though.

gus
05-09-2008, 04:48 AM

I've had Starbucks barista's ask me if I mean "grande" when I order the medium, but I wouldn't classify it as "being hassled", but rather as them simply getting clarification. I think the insistance on *not* using SB's conventions is sometimes a form of pretension too (one I've certainly been guilty of once or twice).

Using faux-italian names for the sizes was a pretty slick piece of marketing on SB's part. But a venti... you would never get something that monstrous at a cafe in Italy. Getting people buy a huge quantity and at the same time feel more sophisticated about it? I can't imagine a better way to "supersize" than this... it's much better than simply up-sizing all the cup sizes to Large, Gargantuan and Humanly-Impossible-To-Consume-Without-Severe-Medical-Risk that some places do.

billybreen
05-09-2008, 09:01 AM
I've had Starbucks barista's ask me if I mean "grande" when I order the medium, but I wouldn't classify it as "being hassled", but rather as them simply getting clarification. I think the insistance on *not* using SB's conventions is sometimes a form of pretension too (one I've certainly been guilty of once or twice).

I agree. The sizes are simply branding. If you have moral issues using them, you may be taking yourself a bit too seriously.

pamtar
05-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Sbuck sucks but I get the same thing at the local java house. Tall non-fat triple latte. A lot of bang for the buck.

By the way, does anyone know if there is more caffeine in regular coffee than in espresso? I feel more jolted after a nice, big cup of home brew than I do after a triple latte.

gus
05-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Sbuck sucks but I get the same thing at the local java house. Tall non-fat triple latte. A lot of bang for the buck.

By the way, does anyone know if there is more caffeine in regular coffee than in espresso? I feel more jolted after a nice, big cup of home brew than I do after a triple latte.

It all depends on the roast, whether the beans are arabica or robusta, and a few other factors, but generally, yes- brewed coffee tends to have more caffeine than espresso.

cato
05-09-2008, 03:20 PM
It all depends on the roast, whether the beans are arabica or robusta, and a few other factors, but generally, yes- brewed coffee tends to have more caffeine than espresso.

And coffee brewed at home tends to have more caffeine than coffee brewed in coffee shops.

Shammrog
05-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Mine is short. Coffee, black. Sometimes iced. (I don't like it too hot, so i always want a little ice. But sometimes I really want it "iced.")

hc5duke
05-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Mine is short. Coffee, black. Sometimes iced. (I don't like it too hot, so i always want a little ice. But sometimes I really want it "iced.")

I hate getting iced coffee because the ice melts too much by the time I'm half way done with the drink, and I end up drinking something that's half water and half coffee. I drink pretty fast, too, so I don't understand how people enjoy this type of drink. Frap (or sometimes granita) or nothing for me...

billybreen
05-09-2008, 07:03 PM
I hate getting iced coffee because the ice melts too much by the time I'm half way done with the drink, and I end up drinking something that's half water and half coffee. I drink pretty fast, too, so I don't understand how people enjoy this type of drink. Frap (or sometimes granita) or nothing for me...

Amen. One thing I hate about summer is the presumption that I want my drink iced. I don't care if it's 95 out, give me a hot drink unless I ask otherwise.

DevilAlumna
05-09-2008, 07:39 PM

Whoever makes your iced coffee is doing it wrong. The coffee should be chilled already, before it's poured over the ice.

billybreen
05-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Wow, so I guess I really am off the deep end with my order. Only one poster is crazier. Go us!

merry
05-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah, baristas at any coffee place always ask me if I want room for cream. Then they look at me like I'm crazy when I say no. Does nobody take their coffee black?

My husband thinks they never fill the cup all the way up even if you do say "no room for cream" so he orders his "no room for air".

throatybeard
05-20-2008, 01:15 PM
My [possibly inaccurate] understanding about caffeine in espresso is that it's lower because the water gets forced thru the coffee faster and so it doesn't have as much time to absorb caffeine.

devilish
05-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Tall black coffee...Do you want cream and sugar?...No I don't want cream and sugar in my black coffee, thanks.

g_olaf
05-20-2008, 06:37 PM
It's been far too long since someone mentioned that Starbucks sucks. Bad beans.

Go PEETs!

gadzooks
05-20-2008, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=gus;146108Using faux-italian names for the sizes was a pretty slick piece of marketing on SB's part. [/QUOTE]:confused: Faux Italian? "Venti" is the Italian word for "twenty," which is the size of the cup in ounces. Granted, "grande" means "large" rather than "medium," but it's also a real word in Italian. "Tall" is...well, that's English.

DevilAlumna
05-20-2008, 08:45 PM
It's probably sacreligious for a Seattlite to ask this, but has anyone tried the McDonalds espresso drinks? Are they any good? Can they actually "barista" you via drivethru?

hc5duke
05-20-2008, 08:50 PM
:confused: Faux Italian? "Venti" is the Italian word for "twenty," which is the size of the cup in ounces. Granted, "grande" means "large" rather than "medium," but it's also a real word in Italian. "Tall" is...well, that's English.

considering a "venti" drink is 24 ounces for cold drinks and 20oz for hot drinks, I'd say it's faux/fake Italian :-p

devilish
05-21-2008, 09:36 AM
It's probably sacreligious for a Seattlite to ask this, but has anyone tried the McDonalds espresso drinks? Are they any good? Can they actually "barista" you via drivethru?

Good marketing, bad beans. My wife and I stopped at McD's to get a jolt to help with the drive to the beach last weekend. Figured it would be better than gas station coffee. I ordered a plain iced coffee and, of course, they put vanilla in it. Wife had plain coffee. Consensus, no better than gas station coffee.

ugadevil
05-21-2008, 11:19 AM
considering a "venti" drink is 24 ounces for cold drinks and 20oz for hot drinks, I'd say it's faux/fake Italian :-p

I'd walk in and order a settanta due!

EarlJam
05-21-2008, 11:21 AM
I like my coffee black........like my men.

-EJ

hc5duke
07-09-2008, 05:26 PM
http://www.wetherobots.com/comics/2007-11-26-Large.jpg

Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but I found a new webcomic and thought this was fitting. :D Mostly office humor, and this one (http://www.wetherobots.com/2007/11/07/brit/) is totally my company's biz dev guy (who went to Fuqua).

2535Miles
07-09-2008, 07:11 PM
http://www.wetherobots.com/comics/2007-11-26-Large.jpg

Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but I found a new webcomic and thought this was fitting. :D Mostly office humor, and this one (http://www.wetherobots.com/2007/11/07/brit/) is totally my company's biz dev guy (who went to Fuqua).
Threads never die hc5, they always live on in our hearts and memories. I found a lot of threads deserving of the front page when I was compiling the polls. Funny comic, reminds me of my dad.