PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man

brevity
05-01-2008, 02:40 AM
Jason Evans isn't preparing you for upcoming movie releases anymore. Not sure why, but someone should pick up the slack.

I saw an advanced screening of Iron Man Tuesday night and recommend it highly. I suspect that there were elements of the story that pleased fans of the comic book, but I'm not that audience, and appreciated the movie all the same. It doesn't condescend or exist solely to appeal to toy-buying kids, and the one product placement was actually kind of amusing. It's a worthy way to kick off your summer viewing.

Click the link in my signature if you want to read a slightly more elaborate (but spoiler-free) review. I also saw the documentary Young @ Heart this week, and will write it up Thursday.

-- Neel "I'd hate to have to come up with one of these every time" Mehta

billybreen
05-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Jason Evans isn't preparing you for upcoming movie releases anymore. Not sure why, but someone should pick up the slack.

I saw an advanced screening of Iron Man Tuesday night and recommend it highly. I suspect that there were elements of the story that pleased fans of the comic book, but I'm not that audience, and appreciated the movie all the same. It doesn't condescend or exist solely to appeal to toy-buying kids, and the one product placement was actually kind of amusing. It's a worthy way to kick off your summer viewing.

Click the link in my signature if you want to read a slightly more elaborate (but spoiler-free) review. I also saw the documentary Young @ Heart this week, and will write it up Thursday.

-- Neel "I'd hate to have to come up with one of these every time" Mehta

Nice! As a former comic book nerd, I've been looking forward to this one for a while. Now, to see if I can drag myself away from GTA long enough to go see it.

Matches
05-01-2008, 08:03 AM
I'm taking the kids to see it this weekend - all the reviews I'm seeing rate it as one of the best superhero movies yet.

Hector Vector
05-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Neel,

What are your thoughts on appropriateness for 10 yr old kid?

brevity
05-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Neel,

What are your thoughts on appropriateness for 10 yr old kid?

There's some war violence of a Middle Eastern nature, and a little bit of blood. A military caravan gets ambushed. Some explosions and such. And one scene where a couple fool around while mostly clothed. Other than that, pretty clean.

Oh, forgot to mention: apparently, you should stay past the credits to see an extra scene that hints at a separate Marvel project. (I didn't.)

juise
05-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man/) shows it having a 95% freshness rating based on 99 reviews. That's tremendouly impressive for a superhero flick. For reference, Batman Begins got an 84% freshness score. The first two Spider-mans were at 90% and 93%, respectively. The first two X-men were 80% and 87%, respectively. Superman Returns was 77%. I can't think of any other modern superhero movies that may have been received as well by critics. Of course, Iron Man's score may drop off a little when it gets more reviews over the weekend.

Clipsfan
05-01-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm catching the 8 o'clock showing with coworkers and I'm looking forward to it. I even have GTA4 at home (which hasn't been all-consuming for me by any means).

JasonEvans
05-02-2008, 07:20 AM
I am sorry I have been slack this season. I have not gotten to many previews because I coach both my son's baseball teams and we have practices/games almost every night of the week. Combine that with my work on my network's coverage of the primaries and I have missed a ton of previews lately.

--Jason "I'll do better in coming weeks... I promise :( " Evans

billybreen
05-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man/) shows it having a 95% freshness rating based on 99 reviews. That's tremendouly impressive for a superhero flick. For reference, Batman Begins got an 84% freshness score. The first two Spider-mans were at 90% and 93%, respectively. The first two X-men were 80% and 87%, respectively. Superman Returns was 77%. I can't think of any other modern superhero movies that may have been received as well by critics. Of course, Iron Man's score may drop off a little when it gets more reviews over the weekend.

Through 122 reviews, it's now up to 96! I'm getting excited.

What is the total number of average RT reviews? I thought it was something like 140, so there's no way this score is coming down.

JasonEvans
05-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Through 122 reviews, it's now up to 96! I'm getting excited.

What is the total number of average RT reviews? I thought it was something like 140, so there's no way this score is coming down.

Not quite--

Last summer Spiderman 3 had 223 reviews. Juno has 180 reviews. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix had 222. Shrek the Third had 193.

Bottom line-- big summer blockbusters or important movies tend to get up around 200 total reviews. Everyone needs to have a say on a film like that, ya know?

That said, the odds that the number plummet would be seem very slim. I see it as a very good sign that the "top critics" on RT (which would be the folks who do reviews for newspapers and earn a real living at it, as opposed to the many semi-pro on-line critics who can post reviews on RT) have Iron Man at 90%... a very strong figure. This is clearly going to be one of the best comic book to movie adaptations ever. Sweet!!!

--Jason "all the reviews say RDJr is fabulous-- has anyone's career had more lifetimes than his?!?!" Evans

billybreen
05-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Not quite--

Last summer Spiderman 3 had 223 reviews. Juno has 180 reviews. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix had 222. Shrek the Third had 193.

Bottom line-- big summer blockbusters or important movies tend to get up around 200 total reviews. Everyone needs to have a say on a film like that, ya know?

That said, the odds that the number plummet would be seem very slim. I see it as a very good sign that the "top critics" on RT (which would be the folks who do reviews for newspapers and earn a real living at it, as opposed to the many semi-pro on-line critics who can post reviews on RT) have Iron Man at 90%... a very strong figure. This is clearly going to be one of the best comic book to movie adaptations ever. Sweet!!!

--Jason "all the reviews say RDJr is fabulous-- has anyone's career had more lifetimes than his?!?!" Evans

Wow, I guess everyone's a critic in the internet era. Didn't realize RT tracked quite so many voices.

But as you say, the verdict is in. These numbers won't change much, and RT is trumpeting the point juise made below (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man/news/1725305/): this is probably the highest rated superhero movie ever. It's also the best reviewed movie of the year so far.

And with that, the wife is convinced. Buying tickets now . . .

Clipsfan
05-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Wow, I guess everyone's a critic in the internet era. Didn't realize RT tracked quite so many voices.

But as you say, the verdict is in. These numbers won't change much, and RT is trumpeting the point juise made below (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man/news/1725305/): this is probably the highest rated superhero movie ever. It's also the best reviewed movie of the year so far.

And with that, the wife is convinced. Buying tickets now . . .

I saw it last night when it opened and highly recommend it as entertainment. It's not going to make you think/change your life, but the movie does a great job of developing the back story for Stark and there is both great action and some humor. Even the scenes where he's building his suits are really entertaining.

billybreen
05-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Even the scenes where he's building his suits are really entertaining.

Of course they are! That's pure nerd pr0n! :)

DukeUsul
05-02-2008, 03:34 PM
I was an unabashed Iron Man freak growing up in the 80's. I have stacks of Iron Man comics in plastic bags still stashed away in shoe boxes in my closet. We just moved to a new house and I found my old Iron Man poster rolled up in a tube. Still in great condition after more than 15 years!

Plus I'm an Audi-holic. I'm loving that Tony Stark drives the new Audi R8.

And dangnabit my baby was born 6 days ago..... why oh why couldn't she just wait a week!

wilko
05-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Heck,
I still am a comic nerd.

I plan on going to my Local Comicbooks Store (LCS) this weekend. Its free comic book day. Kids get some free stuff. Its all current stuff, The publishers put out promos to support new interest.

Take a kid to a comic store. http://www.freecomicbookday.com/

If any of you reformed comic nerds have any comics lingering in your closets/attic/parents/grandparents/garage/storage unit that you want to get rid of hit me with a PM. I'll be glad to talk to you and give them a good home.

DevilAlumna
05-02-2008, 09:24 PM
And dangnabit my baby was born 6 days ago..... why oh why couldn't she just wait a week!

Oh, if she ever finds out you said that... :D

But seriously, congratulations, proud papa!

Udaman
05-03-2008, 09:22 AM
It's great. Funny. Action packed. Amazing acting. Will definitely see it again (and so will most of the audience, judging by the reaction last night).

Matches
05-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Awesome. He builds the Iron Man armor in a cave.. out of scraps... he's the friggin Macgyver of superheroes.

Terrific movie. Lots of stuff blows up, there are funny jokes... just excellent all the way around.

Exiled_Devil
05-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Awesome. He builds the Iron Man armor in a cave.. out of scraps... he's the friggin Macgyver of superheroes.

Terrific movie. Lots of stuff blows up, there are funny jokes... just excellent all the way around.

If I recall, that is true to the comic origin of Iron Man. The buzz I heard was that it was good for fan boys and friendly to casual fans. As a reformed fan boy, I am trying to get my wife to go see it next weekend.

Exiled

NashvilleDevil
05-03-2008, 10:07 PM
They are estimating 95 million for the opening weekend.

billybreen
05-03-2008, 11:34 PM
I turned into one of those GTA statistics. Iron Man isn't happening for us this weekend, probably, but we'll contribute to a strong second weekend, hopefully.

Glad I voted for IM in the top gross poll!

Matches
05-04-2008, 07:51 AM
If I recall, that is true to the comic origin of Iron Man. The buzz I heard was that it was good for fan boys and friendly to casual fans. As a reformed fan boy, I am trying to get my wife to go see it next weekend.

Exiled

Oh yeah, I'm a comic nerd too, and it's very true to the comics. Thing is, the comics were written in the 1960's, and the "state of the art" Iron Man armor wasn't quite as advanced as it is today.

I thought it was pretty casual-fan friendly. They start the action VERY quickly and the Geek Easter Eggs are presented in a subtle way. The audience applauded several times during the movie - really good stuff.

JasonEvans
05-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Oh, forgot to mention: apparently, you should stay past the credits to see an extra scene that hints at a separate Marvel project. (I didn't.)

To echo some comments I made here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=143785#post143785)...

If you are a comic book nerd, you must must must stay past the credits. It takes a while (they wait until the very end of the credits -- like 5 minutes worth of scrolling names of key grips, cgi animators, and "Special Assistant to Mr. Downey" stuff), but I felt it was worth it. When you realize what they are planning and what the bonus scene sets up, you will be so excited!!!

Side note-- does anyone worry a bit that some classic comic book characters could seem kinda silly on the big screen in live action. Thor, for example, using his ancient Norse expressions just would not work, I bet.

--Jason "Then again, I would think that Hulk would be a bust but the brand new trailer (http://incrediblehulk.marvel.com/) for the Ed Norton film this summer looked very promising" Evans

wilko
05-04-2008, 10:07 PM
To echo some comments I made here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=143785#post143785)...

Side note-- does anyone worry a bit that some classic comic book characters could seem kinda silly on the big screen in live action. Thor, for example, using his ancient Norse expressions just would not work, I bet.

Just got back from the show.. Loved it. Some nice nuggets.
Pepper, Rhoady, Hap.... nice blend of old and new. Forget Bruce Wayne, Stark has the flavor of playboy life I like...

Thor would do well, I bet. The FF; I never bothered to see either. The FF hasnt been written well in 30yrs so why should the movie be better. Side's Alba is overexposed to fanboys. They a need new token comickbook hot chick.

Ghost rider was lame. (I thought). I liked Daredevil... but that was really more for fanboys than the public at large.

Looking very very forward to the Hulk. After a painstaking labor of love to assemble all but 1 of the Tales to Astonish run where he appears as a costar.. as well as a long box of sequential issues... I feel somewhat connected and invested. I think it should open with Stan lee doing a monologue. "Excelsior! Sorry about the 1st the one.. we blew it. The gay cowboy director (not that theres anything wrong with that) swung and missed... mutant gamma dogs... this is the movie you should have gotten the 1st time..." or something to that effect.

brevity
05-04-2008, 11:45 PM

Vincent D'Onofrio made a stellar Thor (or close approximation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZHPT4_0NM4)) in Adventures in Babysitting.

Meanwhile, Kevin McKidd (Rome, Journeyman) is rumored (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800369/) to play the live-action Thor. After seeing him all burly and muscular in The Last Legion, I'd have to say that it's not a bad idea.

DevilAlumna
05-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Meanwhile, Kevin McKidd (Rome, Journeyman) is rumored (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800369/) to play the live-action Thor. After seeing him all burly and muscular in The Last Legion, I'd have to say that it's not a bad idea.

Speaking of Lucius Vorenus, he's currently on the big screen in "Made of Honor." Lucius is definitely luscious, and Dempsey's somewhat McDreamy, but not neither is enough to make me shell out $9 to suffer through what looks to be a very formulaic chick flick.

billybreen
05-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Speaking of Lucius Vorenus, he's currently on the big screen in "Made of Honor." Lucius is definitely luscious, and Dempsey's somewhat McDreamy, but not neither is enough to make me shell out $9 to suffer through what looks to be a very formulaic chick flick.

It's at 14% on Rotten Tomatoes, so staying away looks to be the right move. :)

Matches
05-05-2008, 08:21 AM
To echo Side note-- does anyone worry a bit that some classic comic book characters could seem kinda silly on the big screen in live action. Thor, for example, using his ancient Norse expressions just would not work, I bet.

Thor is a hard sell in the comics, much less on the big screen. You're right, the dialogue will be a trick to get past.

In the Ultimate line of comics, which spawned SPOILER Samuel L. as Nick Fury they recast Thor as a hippie who claims divinity, but no one's really sure if he's legit. That might work on the big screen a little better than the Norse mythology.

Lord Ash
05-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Ironman was pretty kickass, made all the better by the Han Solo running after the stormtroopers homage (among others.)

I'll be curious where they go next... Downey is in the cast of The Hulk as Tony Stark, so the Marvelization of the movie universe goes on! Too bad we couldn't get the XMen and Spidey in there...

watzone
05-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Make mine Marvel! Add a dose of the Dark Knight. Ledger's performance will make this top 5. I don't think Speed Racer makes it. It'll be interesting to see how the Hulk does behind Ironman.

JasonEvans
05-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Sequels!!!

After the success of Iron Man, Marvel is going ahead with several other superhero films. In case you did not know, Iron Man was the first time Marvel financed its own film and it looks like they are going to make a pretty tidy profit on it.

Anyway, here is the sked for their upcoming films.

Hulk comes out on June 13th, in just a few weeks.

Iron Man 2 is skedded for April 30, 2010.

Thor will hit theaters on June 4th, 2010.

On May 6, 2011, we will get The First Avenger: Captain America

And then, in July of 2011 we will get The Avengers with Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and the Hulk.

Friggin sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--Jason "above info courtesy of Variety (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117985101.html?categoryid=13&cs=1)" Evans

Clipsfan
05-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I wonder where in that process the audience will get really sick of superhero movies? Marvel isn't the only one coming out with them after all.

wumhenry
05-06-2008, 10:03 PM
I wonder where in that process the audience will get really sick of superhero movies? Marvel isn't the only one coming out with them after all.
I'm really sick of Hulk from seeing the trailer. Watching a comic-book character torch humvees and helicopters full of American GIs is not my idea of a fun evening.

CathyCA
05-06-2008, 10:09 PM
I saw Iron Man with my 16 year old son on Saturday night. I didn't want to go because I'm not into superheroes. However. . .

I loved it!!! I'm not even familiar with the Iron Man comic book character, so I worried that I wouldn't understand the movie. No worries. No prior knowledge necessary.

Robert Downey, Jr. is fabulous in this flick. Gwyneth Paltrow is lovely. Terrence Howard is funny and yummy. Jeff Bridges is scary in a good way.

No one has mentioned in this thread yet that Marvel Studios' Chairman is David Maisel, a Duke graduate and fellow classmate from the class of 1984.

Go see this movie.

Lord Ash
05-06-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm really sick of Hulk from seeing the trailer. Watching a comic-book character torch humvees and helicopters full of American GIs is not my idea of a fun evening.

Glad to see I am not the only one made just slightly uneasy by the wholesale slaughter of American soldiers. Wussy, I know, but...

JasonEvans
05-07-2008, 02:19 AM
Glad to see I am not the only one made just slightly uneasy by the wholesale slaughter of American soldiers. Wussy, I know, but...

Hulk almost never kills anyone. I am sure we will see lots of explosions and then see troops scurrying away dazed but unharmed. No way they will show Hulk killing lots of soldiers.

--Jason "it is gonna take a lot for me to believe/understand the mercinary dude who walks up to Hulk and says, 'is that all you got?'" Evans

Jim3k
05-09-2008, 03:12 AM
I saw Iron Man with my 16 year old son on Saturday night. I didn't want to go because I'm not into superheroes. However. . .

I loved it!!! I'm not even familiar with the Iron Man comic book character, so I worried that I wouldn't understand the movie. No worries. No prior knowledge necessary.

Robert Downey, Jr. is fabulous in this flick. Gwyneth Paltrow is lovely. Terrence Howard is funny and yummy. Jeff Bridges is scary in a good way.

No one has mentioned in this thread yet that Marvel Studios' Chairman is David Maisel, a Duke graduate and fellow classmate from the class of 1984.

Go see this movie.

My wife and I went on Thursday; audience was light and almost had a private screening. We went because my '03 daughter liked it a lot.

Aside from doing too much plot/character analysis, we both agreed that it was a fun movie. Iron Man appeared in the comix after I stopped reading them. (Even Mayola's selections did not hold my attention.) I'm glad Downey, Jr. has made it back to professional capability. And I've alway been a fan of Jeff Bridges -- who does, AFAIK, his first real villain performance -- and does it well.

Certainly nice to see that a Dukie is making a living doing films for Marvel.

JasonEvans
05-11-2008, 11:23 AM
And I've alway been a fan of Jeff Bridges -- who does, AFAIK, his first real villain performance -- and does it well.

You need to The Vanishing. He's really creepy in that.

Technically, he was a "villain" in The Jagged Edge too, but only at the very end of the movie.

--Jason "you wanna talk actors with longevity-- whew, Jeff Bridges has been a star for a looooong time" Evans

pfrduke
05-11-2008, 06:47 PM

Would it be more fun of an evening for you to see a comic-book character killing a bunch of Afganis, Iraqis, Colombians, Koreans, etc.?

Jim3k
05-11-2008, 10:23 PM
You need to The Vanishing. He's really creepy in that.

Technically, he was a "villain" in The Jagged Edge too, but only at the very end of the movie.

--Jason "you wanna talk actors with longevity-- whew, Jeff Bridges has been a star for a looooong time" Evans

I had seen the European version and I just didn't want to see an American version, so I missed Bridges' performance.

dukemomLA
05-12-2008, 05:03 AM
Not usually my kind of flick. But IRON MAN is great! Always loved the amazing talent of Robert D, Jr. (....and HATE him for wasting such with his abuse issues...so be it). Wonderful ride of a movie.

Looking forward to seeing the new Indiana Jones. Yeah, I know Harrison Ford is older than dirt. So be it. It will be a joy.

DukeDevil
05-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Would it be more fun of an evening for you to see a comic-book character killing a bunch of Afganis, Iraqis, Colombians, Koreans, etc.?

I agree here. I'd go more into it but this is not the thread nor the place to get into this kind of discussion.

I just saw Iron man yesterday. I was worried because people kept building it up so I felt I was getting my hopes too high. The movie went way past my expectations despite how elevated they were. AWESOME movie.

Did anyone else feel there was a whole lot of ethnic stereotyping movies going on in the trailers? Dang!

JasonEvans
05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
If you did not wait until after the credits to see the bonus scene that hints at a future Avengers movie well... here it is (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-80140381564642625&q=%22nick+fury%22&ei=-7MeSKyhAoa-qALI-tnKAg) courtesy some Chinese website or something.

And here is another version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZuf6vbixN4) of it from Youtube, though Paramount has been taking the youtube versions down so it may not work.

--Jason "enjoy" Evans