PDA

View Full Version : More Lute bashing

JasonEvans
04-28-2008, 06:09 AM
Marc Isenberg, author of 2 books on the business of athletics, rips into Lute Olsen pretty hard in his Moneyplayers blog (http://moneyplayers.typepad.com/blog/2008/04/blame-agents-an.html). Lute is quite angry that Jerryd Bayless had the audacity to hire an agent and not consult Lute on it. Lute threatens to make sure no Arizona kid ever signs with that agent.

Ummm, is it just me or do other folks think Lute may have moved from "crotchety but lovable old dude" into "crazy and mean old dude who is borderline senile"??

--Jason "never been a Lute fan, and I never will be" Evans

YmoBeThere
04-28-2008, 07:20 AM
Marc Isenberg, author of 2 books on the business of athletics, rips into Lute Olsen pretty hard in his Moneyplayers blog (http://moneyplayers.typepad.com/blog/2008/04/blame-agents-an.html). Lute is quite angry that Jerryd Bayless had the audacity to hire an agent and not consult Lute on it. Lute threatens to make sure no Arizona kid ever signs with that agent.

Ummm, is it just me or do other folks think Lute may have moved from "crotchety but lovable old dude" into "crazy and mean old dude who is borderline senile"??

--Jason "never been a Lute fan, and I never will be" Evans

I'm not sure I would have ever put him in the "lovable" camp. Not outright mean...sure.

weezie
04-28-2008, 08:11 AM
This is sad. The fans at AZ are similar to Duke in that hoops "is" all. Their football program is slowly improving but the real pride is for their basketball. Doesn't Lute have any friends or advisers who can reel him in? Obviously not...

BD80
04-28-2008, 09:16 AM
This is sad. ... Doesn't Lute have any friends or advisers who can reel him in? Obviously not...

Unfortunately, it sounds like Lute is being led by his divorce lawyer, and the divorce lawyer's financial interest conflicts with Lute's overall interests.

Listening to the interview posted on the DBR front page, Lute doesn't have a frickin' clue about what is going on. He admits he moved money at his lawyer's advice! His explanation is that she had moved money first. Problem is, Lute is the one who filed for divorce, and (per Christine) they waited until she was out of town to file and served her 20 year old son. Thus, Christine was probably not under court order if she moved money before Lute (who transferred funds the day after filing).

Lute really doesn't understand the pleadings, he was reading portions on the radio instead of explaining things in his own words. He was harping on the frivolous pleading allegation of his attorney's reply (which is unfortunately boilerplate these days). I went from hating Lute to feeling sorry for him. Unless Lute was warned this would happen and specifically decided that the PR hit was worth a shot at Christine's money - he is being taken for a ride by his lawyer.

The guys on the radio after the Lute and Christine interviews were speculating that something happened (that Christine had done something). Christine's big question is why is Lute's attorney trying to break the pre-nup; this would all go away if Lute doesn't challenge the pre-nup. Sounds like a fair point. My guess is that "the issue" is Christine was not being generous with her money - the interviews made them both sound very materialistic and possessive of what they had earned as individuals.

Funny part of the exchange - Lute was driving to Phoenix for a fund raiser when he called in. Christine went out of her way to say that she had paid for Lute's ticket.

Lute is into name-calling, accusing Christine of threatening to ruin him. A lot of things get said in heated arguments. She has been playing the PR angle well though, giving all the right sound bites, and the interview generally did not benefit Lute.

Thing is, Lute started the fight by filing and by challenging the pre-nup. He now sounds confused and hurt by the negative publicity he is getting. I guess his "lawyer" didn't explain all of the consequences of that action. Sad part is, that scum is also getting free advertising as being willing to challenge pre-nups and sue really rich people. Christine called Lute's attorney a bottom-feeder. She sounds quite intelligent. Lute? Not so much.

Lute sounded like a confused old man. It is hard to hate him. Damn.

freedevil
04-28-2008, 09:26 AM
And Lute is fighting a pretty big uphill battle, I'd imagine, in trying to get that prenup tossed out. If there's full disclosure and both sides were represented by independent counsel when the agreement was entered into... see ya!

JasonEvans
04-28-2008, 09:30 AM
What is the over-under on Lute's remaining time at Arizona? Is there any way he lasts more than 2 more years?

--Jason "it is amazing how well he is able to recruit through all this" Evans

BD80
04-28-2008, 09:54 AM
What is the over-under on Lute's remaining time at Arizona? Is there any way he lasts more than 2 more years?

Sounds like the kids he is recruiting don't care if he is there more than 2 years, they won't be there three years from now!

Franzez
04-28-2008, 05:30 PM

I think it depends on if Arizona is still a winning program,if Arizona goes to the NIT for 2 consecutive years I think he'll step away citing health issues.

If Arizona can somehow return to a top 10 basketball team and Josh Pastner is still on his staff bringing in recruits then I think he'll stay at the most 4 years and then eventually retire and turn the job over to Josh.

Franzez
04-28-2008, 05:32 PM
I'd be angry too if I were Lute because Jerryd should've stayed for another year and developed his game because at this point hes not ready for the NBA but he has the potential to be a good player in 5 years.

SilkyJ
04-28-2008, 08:24 PM
agreed on bayless, but I don't think him leaving gives lute the right to be "angry." The kid has to look out for himself. He can disagree with the situation, but he shouldn't get angry. Especially these days. That's just the way it goes...

Now, if Bayless didn't even consult with Lute or tell him that he was thinking about leaving, then he might have a right to be angry...

Cavlaw
04-28-2008, 08:29 PM
I don't know, I liked Isenberg's note that Lute probably didn't consult with Bayless before disappearing for a year, so maybe he doesn't have any business opening his mouth about Bayless not consulting him...

Channing
04-28-2008, 08:35 PM
didnt people say the same thing about Dunleavy? Isn't Bayless a top 5 pick possibly? Kind of hard not to go when you are looking at that kind of money.

Why should he consult Lute? Sure, Lute probably recruited him. But Kevin O'Neil was his coach at Arizona.

JasonEvans
04-29-2008, 06:32 AM
I'd be angry too if I were Lute because Jerryd should've stayed for another year and developed his game because at this point hes not ready for the NBA but he has the potential to be a good player in 5 years.

Almost anyone who is a lottery pick, especially a high-lottery pick like Jerryd needs to leave. I hate that it works out like that but the guaranteed lifetime of financial security is almost impossible to turn down.

If Lute was blindsided by this decision, then he is really not paying attention to the basketball landscape. Jerryd has been a projected lottery pick for a long time.

News flash to Lute, Brandon Jennings is curently forecast as a high lottery pick in 2009 and Jordan Hill may also leave as he is a porbable first rounder.

--Jason "Lute has lost it" Evans

weezie
04-29-2008, 07:39 AM
If Lute was blindsided by this decision, then he is really not paying attention to the basketball landscape.
--Jason "Lute has lost it" Evans

Exactly. For someone who likes to come across as a basketball savant, Luther is looking pretty vain and doddering at this point.

ugadevil
04-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Lute is quite angry that Jerryd Bayless had the audacity to hire an agent and not consult Lute on it. Lute threatens to make sure no Arizona kid ever signs with that agent.

The way Lute is handling his personal matters, why would anyone consult him? Obviously, there's a financial aspect to Bayless' decision, and Lute is showing that he has very little comprehension of financial matters.