PDA

View Full Version : Corona Mexico 200

Channing
04-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Not sure if anyone caught this, but it reaffirmed a couple things for me:

(1) stock cars are just not well suited for road racing. I love watching road racing if they are racing F1 cars, but stock cars just dont seem to handle well enough, and are too big and bulky.

(2) that said, Kyle Bush is one heckuva driver - wow. Has he taken over from Tony Stewart as the most versatile driver out there?

(3) I can't take Borris Said seriously.

PensDevil
04-21-2008, 12:58 PM
The last 30 laps or so provided some very entertaining racing. Kyle Bush and Carl Edwards charging up through the pack. Pruett trying to fend off Bush was a great battle. Too bad the television coverage missed the pass when it actually came.

What was up with the lengthy cautions though? A guy hits the wall... 30 minute yellow/red/yellow. Some fluid on the track later... same deal. Those long stops in the action may have really killed my interest if I had been watching live. Heck, I was agitated just fast forwarding through them.

On to an entirely different race next weekend. Anyone have any suggestions for a first time Talladega visitor?

Channing
04-21-2008, 02:05 PM
WOW! you are going to 'Dega and I am jealous. I have been before - its awesome. Not quite Daytona levels, but sort of a different experience. Are you going for the whole weekend or just raceday?

I am pretty sure the racing hall of fame is in Talladega, which could be pretty cool. On race day, though, you have to get their early, find a lot to park your car/truck, and if you are inclined set up a breakfast tailgate (we used to cook pancakes in a skillet on a grill - highly recomended). Probably want to make your way over to the race grounds around 10 am or so as there will be just a ton of stuff to see/do - all of the teams will have their big rig out there with some sort of attraction set up (you may want to see out Jamie McMurray's Crown Royal truck - thats usually pretty fun). I would filter into the speedway around an hour before green flag is set to drop.

Have fun!!!!

PensDevil
04-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the tips. I won't be flying in to Atlanta until Saturday, so just race day at the track. The attractions at the rigs was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I'll be sure to check out the 26 rig.

YmoBeThere
04-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Missed the race, well honestly went to Foxwoods to make a donation to my fellow gamblers at the poker tables. I agree that NASCAR doesn't really look right on the road courses given the bulk and handling charactersistics of the cars. I never really thought about it, but are they using the CoT in the lower series?

Channing
04-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Missed the race, well honestly went to Foxwoods to make a donation to my fellow gamblers at the poker tables. I agree that NASCAR doesn't really look right on the road courses given the bulk and handling charactersistics of the cars. I never really thought about it, but are they using the CoT in the lower series?

I believe they are planning on moving over to the CofT for the nationwide series next year. They are still using the old cars for the nationwide series this year.