PDA

View Full Version : See, now that Office was better

Lord Ash
04-18-2008, 10:48 AM
So much better than last week.

It largely stayed in the office itself.

It got away from "crazy Jan," which is good... the Jan/Michael thing was better when she was a smart, sharp woman who was with this schlep and no one really understood why.

It got us between Jim and Pam. The show was often at its best when we were "insiders," knowing about them seperately. Recently we only have gotten to see them as a "couple," which has kept us outside of everyones favorite relationship. Getting us back into them individually was nice.

It was subtle in many ways. A fight over parking spots. Michael falling for a dead chair model. Nothing too dramatic, and nothing as stupidly over the top as Schrute Farms Bed and Breakfast.

So yeah, much improved.

billybreen
04-18-2008, 10:51 AM
See, I didn't think it was any better or worse than the first episode back. They were both kinda middling, and Michael was too over the top in both.

The parking spot stuff was awesome, though. :)

Jfrosh
04-18-2008, 11:21 AM
I too loved the Pam and Jim parts, especially fun was the shoe tying.
I spit out my drink with what Michael called Oscar. (its a family board so I won't repeat)

Ignatius07
04-18-2008, 01:40 PM
I too loved the Pam and Jim parts, especially fun was the shoe tying.
I spit out my drink with what Michael called Oscar. (its a family board so I won't repeat)

That was definitely a highlight, as was Michael's reaction when he saw Pam's landlord.

I thought the episode as a whole was significantly better than last week's, though just decent overall compared to Seasons 2 or 3, and even to the last few episodes before the writers' strike break.

I haven't made my mind up about the Jim/Pam thing. Of course we all like to see them together, and it is really the only story line that resembles a true story arc, but sometimes I feel they rely on it too much at the expense of comedy. Having them dating other people but really liking each other - while melodramatic - is a lot more fun than them dating. The producers realize this too - I would put the odds at greater than 50/50 that they break up before the season ends, despite the hints that they would be engaged soon.

Mal
04-18-2008, 02:01 PM
It was good, not great in my estimation. I think, for me at least, the show's sort of played itself out. Most of the characters are satirical caricatures and that's the biggest source of humor, more than the situations. They aren't supposed to really develop much, but we know each of them so well by this point that their actions are only funny when their archetypical behavior is pushed to new extremes.

On the other hand, 30 Rock had me rolling last night. They sometimes pack more jokes into a 2 minute scene on that show than Arrested Development used to do. I have to watch with the DVR on so I can rewind and catch it all. There's just something unexpected and refreshing about all the laugh moments - the writers seem to never accept the cliched punch line.

"It was all just a big misunderstanding...kind of like the Giuliani campaign."
"You failed the fireman's exam?" "Yeah. It's totally biased against the Irish!"

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-18-2008, 03:13 PM
This show has taken over as my favorite current comedy. Too funny. I'm waiting for It's Always Sunny in Philly to regain it's first and second season form.

Kenneth: "I don't vote Republican or Democrat. Choosing is a sin, so I always just write in the Lord's name."

hc5duke
04-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Kenneth: "I don't vote Republican or Democrat. Choosing is a sin, so I always just write in the Lord's name."

"That's Republican. We count those."

Didn't like The Office, but nothing new for me

To be Posted by billybreen
hater!
There, I preemptively posted for you :D

billybreen
04-18-2008, 03:39 PM
"That's Republican. We count those."

Didn't like The Office, but nothing new for me

There, I preemptively posted for you :D

Heh. Well, I didn't love it either, but my objections are rational. Yours came earlier and were wrong.

glutton
04-18-2008, 04:55 PM
I thought the Office last week was hilarious. Come on, the 20 inch plasma? The on fire/flooded apartment? Hunter's song about "making me a man"? That was good stuff.

Although, I think the funniest moment so far still goes to Tracy Jordan's "Don't Vote" campaign.

DevilAlumna
04-18-2008, 07:14 PM
On the other hand, 30 Rock had me rolling last night. They sometimes pack more jokes into a 2 minute scene on that show than Arrested Development used to do. I have to watch with the DVR on so I can rewind and catch it all. There's just something unexpected and refreshing about all the laugh moments - the writers seem to never accept the cliched punch line.

Even the opening scene of this week's 30 rock was brilliant -- I would love to see a typed script, because each line in the exchange was strong.

"C-Nor and I had a falling out after I switched to another dojo."

"It's the same [humidifier] that's keeping Larry King alive."

"Food Network doesn't have a news show."

Genius.

ADD: I'm watching it on DVR right now (did I mention it's snowing here? I'm not finishing friday at work when it's snowing...) and the scroller on the "news announcement" is frickin' hysterical:

* .. excited about upcoming depression
* Norad putting cyborgs in charge of Skynet
* Complicated things happening in Africa
* Baby Bottle Found on Mars
* Zombie Spokesman says...

JasonEvans
04-20-2008, 08:57 AM
I'll say this for this week's The Office, one of the best lines of the season was:

"She said she'd be wearing blue jeans and a black top."

(looks at woman in flowery-looking dress)

"I'd give her a 10 for looks and a 3 for her ability to describe herself."

I almost fell out of my bed laughing at that line.

Oh, and I loved...

"Wendy. Hot and juicy redhead."

And then he ordered from Wendy's and told Dwight to go pick it up. Awesome!

I do agree that 30 Rock has found a truly special comfort zone. Alec Baldwin's Jack has more really clever/funny lines in five minutes on that show than you will hear in an entire season of most other programs. Baldwin had better win the Best Comedy Actor Emmy this year. He and Steve Carrell have gotten nominated but neither have ever won and that needs to change!

--Jason "does Rachel Dratch still appear on 30 Rock?" Evans

Lord Ash
04-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Heh heh heh, the 10/3 line was hysterical.

DevilAlumna
04-20-2008, 01:15 PM
--Jason "does Rachel Dratch still appear on 30 Rock?" Evans

Ya know, I haven't seen her at all lately. That was one of the more fun, random things in the first half of the first season (did it last more than the first 4-5 epis?)

A-Tex Devil
04-20-2008, 11:54 PM
I haven't made my mind up about the Jim/Pam thing. Of course we all like to see them together, and it is really the only story line that resembles a true story arc, but sometimes I feel they rely on it too much at the expense of comedy. Having them dating other people but really liking each other - while melodramatic - is a lot more fun than them dating. The producers realize this too - I would put the odds at greater than 50/50 that they break up before the season ends, despite the hints that they would be engaged soon.

See, I think it's the best written couple that's actually together that I've see in a TV comedy in a long time. There's lots of subtle hints how they aren't necessarily perfect for each other (see Jim's reaction to Pam staying up all night to help with the graphics for the commercial or Jim willing to bail on her at Michael's party, or Pam trying to exclude Jim from the "high Society Club" or whatever it was called).

But they seem to get past all that. I dunno, I just see a lot in their interaction that seems much more "real life" to me than a Ross/Rachel or any of the relationships in How I met Your Mother. I like that they are letting them be a couple without fabricating any conflict to drive the main plot of the show, which of course, is the Office, not Pam and Jim (this is different than the BBC series!!).

billybreen
04-21-2008, 12:07 AM
See, I think it's the best written couple that's actually together that I've see in a TV comedy in a long time. There's lots of subtle hints how they aren't necessarily perfect for each other (see Jim's reaction to Pam staying up all night to help with the graphics for the commercial or Jim willing to bail on her at Michael's party, or Pam trying to exclude Jim from the "high Society Club" or whatever it was called).

But they seem to get past all that. I dunno, I just see a lot in their interaction that seems much more "real life" to me than a Ross/Rachel or any of the relationships in How I met Your Mother. I like that they are letting them be a couple without fabricating any conflict to drive the main plot of the show, which of course, is the Office, not Pam and Jim (this is different than the BBC series!!).

Amen to all this. I'll give up on the Office at the point where they resort to injecting conflict into the Jim/Pam thing. That's lazy writing, and I'm proud of the show for being above that.

hc5duke
04-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Pam trying to exclude Jim from the "high Society Club" or whatever it was called

Finer Things Club. That's what we call our AIM chat logs at work. If HR reads any of our logs, we'd all be fired several times :)

billybreen
04-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Sweet criminy, that Office was fantastic, and 30 Rock was transcendental. Great night of TV from NBC.

YmoBeThere
04-24-2008, 11:02 PM
NBC brought to you by General ....oh my colors are showing. Have it on DVR won't get to it until tomorrow

calltheobvious
04-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Sweet criminy, that Office was fantastic, and 30 Rock was transcendental. Great night of TV from NBC.

Great descriptor for 30 Rock. It had powers.

BlueDevilJay
04-25-2008, 10:42 AM
I found the Office last night to be hilarious again. Ryan with a drug problem, going crazy at the club. I tried watching 30 Rock last night for the first time after reading y'alls comments on here, and thought it was pretty funny as well. I still find Tina Fey to be just freakin gorgeous, so I may continue to watch. Do any of you watch Scrubs by chance? Last nights episode was again hilarious.

blazindw
04-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I found the Office last night to be hilarious again. Ryan with a drug problem, going crazy at the club. I tried watching 30 Rock last night for the first time after reading y'alls comments on here, and thought it was pretty funny as well. I still find Tina Fey to be just freakin gorgeous, so I may continue to watch. Do any of you watch Scrubs by chance? Last nights episode was again hilarious.

When Pam tried to throw the football and hit Meredith in the face, I LOST IT. For about 5 minutes, I completely lost it. I did not see that coming at all.

billybreen
04-25-2008, 10:08 PM
When Pam tried to throw the football and hit Meredith in the face, I LOST IT. For about 5 minutes, I completely lost it. I did not see that coming at all.

Toby bolting and flying over the fence like a gymnast was great, as was Oscar's interaction with Jim and the cleaning staff.

JasonEvans
04-26-2008, 05:53 AM

What I love about the Office is that they never do anything obvious. I thought Pam was going to have a great arm or something cliche like that, but her whacking Meredith in the face (and Meredith looking all bruised in the very next scene) was awesome. I rewound and rewatched that scene like 4 times. Jim's look of horror at the end of the scene is awesome.

I also enjoyed Andy's "By a show of hands, who thinks we are a better couple than Jim and Pam."

That was one great episode-- starting with the peanut butter in Michael's hair...

I don't want Peanut Butter, get me an ice cream sandwich.
...To all the problems with Dunder Mifflin Infiniti...

Think about it. A month ago, nobody would go on this site because we were worried, about getting molested, or losing our identity, having it stolen. But now, at a time "TDB" all of these problems will be in the past.
...To Ryan's friend that Dwight thinks is a Hobbit...

Do you live in a normal sized house?
...To Toby's "moment" with Pam's knee...

I am moving to Costa Rica. Thought about it for a long time now, and I'm finally gonna do it. So... I'm just gonna hop the fence and jog home now.
...To the cleaning lady letting them out...

Oscar: They HAPPEN to speak Spanish.
Jim: Lucky us.
...to Ryan passed out on the bed and Michael saying...

Best night ever.

I agree, that was waay up there as one of the best Office episodes ever. Had as many quality jokes/humorous moments per minute as I have seen on TV since Arrested Development went off the air.

--Jason "I completely forgot Michael trying to pick up women-- 'I don't wanna get ahead of myself but... I think I want her to meet my mom.'" Evans

YmoBeThere
04-26-2008, 03:33 PM
I agree one of the best episodes. I'm still trying to figure out what the woman at the bar tells Michael. And unfortunately, it got deleted off my DVR.

glutton
04-26-2008, 03:45 PM

I love scrubs. I especially enjoyed Turk and JD's conversation last week about losing his boy-producing testicle.

hc5duke
04-26-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm going to be a negative Nancy again.

Parts of the episode were funny (Dwigt pouring out the drink, Jim's second horrible managerial decision), and it was better than the previous episode, but overall poor showing. The minor characters (Creed, Meredith, Stanley, and Phyllis) haven't had more than a one liner here and there, and they're having to resort to ridiculous things like Jim's conversation with the security guard to get awkward laughs ("You are the guy who sits behind the desk, you're- you're the a-African American guy. I mean you're uhh-- Who have I got here?").

I also hate that Toby is now a creepy desperate guy, and him supposedly leaving for Costa Rica was a real "wtf" moment (yes I'm aware he's mentioned that before when the branch was closing).

YmoBeThere
04-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Toby has been the desparate guy for a while now...

hc5duke
04-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Toby has been the desparate guy for a while now...

Yeah, I know. His transformation from season 3 makes me cringe every time...

Ignatius07
04-26-2008, 05:12 PM
I also hate that Toby is now a creepy desperate guy, and him supposedly leaving for Costa Rica was a real "wtf" moment (yes I'm aware he's mentioned that before when the branch was closing).

I interpreted the Costa Rica comment as a way to divert people's attention from the fact that he just put his hand on Pam's knee.

I do agree with a lot of what you say. I think the writers are relying too much on the actors' comedic abilities to salvage the show; that is, the writing itself hasn't been as good recently, in my opinion.

Regarding Jim & Pam, I just think it's taking up too much time on the show at the expense of being funny. Occasionally something funny comes from it, but not usually.

Also agreed on not utilizing the lesser characters as much, especially Creed. The writers have totally failed us on Creed - he has some of the best lines of the entire show! Likewise, could they try something new with Kelly? We've heard the whole anti-Ryan spiel a hundred times.

I am harsh because I love. It really is one of the best shows on TV - it just used to be better. Lost, on the other hand...

Exiled_Devil
04-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I know. His transformation from season 3 makes me cringe every time...

His unrequited love for Pam has been clear since Pam called off the wedding. I like that late at night, locked in the lobby, he slipped up and then just took off. I appreciate the Office for not letting any one plot device/gag device last for too long.

Having said that, 30 Rock is the funniest show on TV now.

JasonEvans
04-27-2008, 06:03 AM
Also agreed on not utilizing the lesser characters as much, especially Creed. The writers have totally failed us on Creed - he has some of the best lines of the entire show! Likewise, could they try something new with Kelly? We've heard the whole anti-Ryan spiel a hundred times.

Did anyone catch when they were talking about how bad the Dunder-Mifflin Infinity website was and that it had been invaded by sexual predators that Creed spoke up and said, "I don't get the big fuss here. I like the site."

He's awesome!

--Jason "the character that is constantly underused on that show is Stanley-- that guy is comic gold!" Evans

snowdenscold
05-05-2008, 04:54 PM
--Jason "the character that is constantly underused on that show is Stanley-- that guy is comic gold!" Evans

What'd you think of last week's then?

blazindw
05-05-2008, 05:09 PM
What'd you think of last week's then?

DID I STUTTER?!

billybreen
05-05-2008, 05:17 PM
DID I STUTTER?!

Michael's stand-up sampler of "Rodney Dangerfield" bits at the end was brutal. "Take my wife please, for example." I also really enjoyed Dwight's jack-move and Jim being put on notice. Another really good episode.

Also, another great 30 Rock. And to think there was a time when idiots like me thought 30 Rock wouldn't last 10 episodes and Studio 60 was the next great show. I really shouldn't tell people that.

snowdenscold
05-06-2008, 01:20 AM
Michael's stand-up sampler of "Rodney Dangerfield" bits at the end was brutal. "Take my wife please, for example." I also really enjoyed Dwight's jack-move and Jim being put on notice. Another really good episode.

Also, another great 30 Rock. And to think there was a time when idiots like me thought 30 Rock wouldn't last 10 episodes and Studio 60 was the next great show. I really shouldn't tell people that.

Is there a place to watch the first season of 30 Rock online? Hulu and nbc.com only have season 2 up there. I don't mind commercials, I just can't find it...

I guess they might not have it anywhere to entice people to go buy the DVD?

Duvall
05-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Is there a place to watch the first season of 30 Rock online? Hulu and nbc.com only have season 2 up there. I don't mind commercials, I just can't find it...

I guess they might not have it anywhere to entice people to go buy the DVD?

Season 1 is available for instant viewing through Netflix, if you have that.

Lord Ash
05-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Eh, again I feel like The Office missed the mark. While I usually adore it, I felt like that episode was too in-your-face, and the thing with Stanley felt very much out of character. I dunno, I think the Office is on a downward trend that will not get reversed.

Exiled_Devil
05-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Eh, again I feel like The Office missed the mark. While I usually adore it, I felt like that episode was too in-your-face, and the thing with Stanley felt very much out of character. I dunno, I think the Office is on a downward trend that will not get reversed.

I disagree with the character issue - Stanley has been brewing a long-standing simmer of disdain for Michael. It just came to a head in that meeting. I thought it was great because watching Micheal Scott deal with conflict is an amazingly awkward thing.

merry
05-06-2008, 08:25 PM
This is driving me nuts! I had never watched The Office until I was out of work for a while after my rotator cuff surgery in January when I started getting the DVDs from Netflix, beginning with season#1. Things slowed down a little in terms of DVD viewing when I went back to work, but I have FINALLY made it through season#3. Now I can't watch the current shows because I am not caught up with what happened earlier this season. The NBC web site offers full episode viewing and the first one on the list is #401 Fun Run. Was that the first episode of season #4 and the place I should start?

Really, reading this thread now and then (stupidly) is just driving me nuts. Andy and Angela? How? Why? Never mind don't tell me anything. Just tell me if "Fun Run" is where I need to start.

Duvall
05-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Just tell me if "Fun Run" is where I need to start.

It is the first episode of Season 4.

hc5duke
05-06-2008, 10:00 PM

While I generally agree that it's on a downward spiral, I agree with Exiled_Devil that Stanley wasn't really out of character there. Remember the episode where his daughter was hitting on Ryan? His tirade against Michael was reminiscent of when Stanley was yelling at Ryan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAjAE13HXrU

The last episode was somewhat ok, the best one of the season IMO.

Lord Ash
05-06-2008, 10:13 PM
I understand what people mean about Stanley. I suppose I just liked the "quiet suffering" guy... the lashing out was uncomfortable, and not, to me, in a "good" way. The idea of Michael having to discipline an employee is excellent; I just didn't feel like this was spot on.

merry
05-13-2008, 10:41 PM
A milestone has been reached. For the first time in many years, this week I will be watching a popular TV show in real time (or soon after via Tivo). Yes I am TOTALLY caught up on The Office episodes thanks to viewing this season so far on the web site. I really don't watch TV other than sports and a few key Comedy Central offerings, so this is a big step for me!

Duvall
05-13-2008, 10:54 PM
A milestone has been reached. For the first time in many years, this week I will be watching a popular TV show in real time (or soon after via Tivo). Yes I am TOTALLY caught up on The Office episodes thanks to viewing this season so far on the web site. I really don't watch TV other than sports and a few key Comedy Central offerings, so this is a big step for me!

Just in time for the season finale!

merry
05-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Hey, it's better than waiting for Netflix to get the Season Four DVD.

blazindw
05-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Oh my god, last night's episode. Classic. Best I've ever seen in my mind, from start to finish!

"DOES ANYONE HAVE A CAMERA HERE?!"

billybreen
05-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Oh my god, last night's episode. Classic. Best I've ever seen in my mind, from start to finish!

Strange. I didn't really like it. It had its moments, but it felt really uneven.

The Kevin storyline was hilarious, though.

dukeblueyes
05-16-2008, 11:43 AM
In my opinion, the beard was the real crime.

billybreen
05-16-2008, 11:49 AM
In my opinion, the beard was the real crime.

Yeah, I forgot that one. Great moment.

hc5duke
05-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Strange. I didn't really like it. It had its moments, but it felt really uneven.

The Kevin storyline was hilarious, though.

Some good moments, I thought it was decent overall, but I expected more of a cliff hanger like the last couple season finales. Please tell me everyone saw the last 2 minutes or so (starts with Phyllis entering the elevator IIRC after the party's over), that was some funny stuff.

BlueDevilJay
05-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Some good moments, I thought it was decent overall, but I expected more of a cliff hanger like the last couple season finales. Please tell me everyone saw the last 2 minutes or so (starts with Phyllis entering the elevator IIRC after the party's over), that was some funny stuff.

Yeah thats when they have some of the funniest stuff. Dwight and Angela....nice. My favorite line in the episode was of course Michael referring to the new HR lady. "Im pretty sure she has cooked on a professional level at some point"

billybreen
05-16-2008, 01:30 PM

Yeah, that was very nice. I thought it was just Dwight crying by the sound of it. Good times.

Exiled_Devil
05-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah, that was very nice. I thought it was just Dwight crying by the sound of it. Good times.

If he was just crying, he was just crying with his shirt off...

I saw the buildup to the proposal, and I was excited. And then Andy stood up, and I knew that he was going to ruin it. I expected him to ask her if she would move in with him...but the explanation of the right moment and having a ring in his wallet for five years was hysterical.

I was a little annoyed at the "I thought JIm was going to propose tonight" by Pam at the end...I really don't want relational awkwardness for no good reason between them. you'd think after years of not saying what they felt,m they would be very interested in telling each other what they felt now.

The Kevin line was classic. I never realized how readily he can come off as mentally challenged. And then I remembered the "I got the footbath I bought for myself...maybe I should have gotten the ipod"

Incidentally, Christmas Yankee Swap was the best episode that wasn't a direct take of the UK show. That or diversity day.

One thing I didn't like was the HR lady essentially asking Micheal at theend of the day...too quick for an HR person to start thinking about that with a boss. And Jan. I was glad when that was over, and thought it was permanently over.

So, is Ryan's position open again? Maybe Karen gets it to keep things incestuous?

All in all, a great episode. I laughed out loud several times, which hasn't happened in a few weeks with the office.

bluebear
05-16-2008, 02:31 PM
I was a little annoyed at the "I thought JIm was going to propose tonight" by Pam at the end...I really don't want relational awkwardness for no good reason between them. you'd think after years of not saying what they felt,m they would be very interested in telling each other what they felt now.

It's funny but that part made me dislike the episode overall...there were some great lines and funny scenes but I found the botched proposal and her response to be frustrating. And it's not because I care if they stay together but I don't want next season to be about serious relationship angst...no drama..

brevity
05-16-2008, 04:21 PM
So, is Ryan's position open again? Maybe Karen gets it to keep things incestuous?

Maybe Jim gets it to keep him and Pam in NYC. After all, the CEO likes him.

I am looking forward to seeing Ryan's prison trouble next season, and not just for Kelly's tracksuit revenge.

Great, loaded finale. I'm still absorbing it, and have two open questions:

1. Okay, so Jan is pregnant. But why is she still in Scranton?

2. Of all the people to catch Dwight and Angela at the end, why Phyllis?

hc5duke
05-16-2008, 04:28 PM

That's a good call. After Jim's first call (so before Ryan's arrest), I was thinking Ryan might transfer Jim to Karen's office in Utica. But that may have been a bit too sitcom-y for the Office (as much as it's already become that way). I can see Karen taking over for Ryan since I think her show (Unhitched) got canceled.

All in all, a great episode. I laughed out loud several times, which hasn't happened in a few weeks with the office.
I pretty much agree with this assessment.

Maybe Jim gets it to keep him and Pam in NYC. After all, the CEO likes him.

I think David Wallace is the CTO. Unless I missed somethign.

tux
05-16-2008, 04:51 PM
I watch the Office and generally like it, but I'm not a big fan of sitcoms that require "cliff-hangers" --- Friends was the worst in this regard, often more like a soap opera than a sitcom. In fact, I think a lot of current sitcoms are trying to copy that formula. I prefer sitcoms that mostly just make me laugh; that's why I'd take 30 Rock over The Office. There's also a sad undercurrent to The Office that I find kind of fascinating, but it makes it harder for me too enjoy as easy diversion. Maybe that says more about me than the show...

hc5duke
05-16-2008, 04:58 PM
I watch the Office and generally like it, but I'm not a big fan of sitcoms that require "cliff-hangers" --- Friends was the worst in this regard, often more like a soap opera than a sitcom. In fact, I think a lot of current sitcoms are trying to copy that formula. I prefer sitcoms that mostly just make me laugh; that's why I'd take 30 Rock over The Office. There's also a sad undercurrent to The Office that I find kind of fascinating, but it makes it harder for me too enjoy as easy diversion. Maybe that says more about me than the show...

Didn't the 30 Rock finale end in a couple cliff hangers this season?

billybreen
05-16-2008, 05:37 PM
I think David Wallace is the CTO. Unless I missed somethign.

CFO.

snowdenscold
05-17-2008, 12:56 AM
Michael's face plus his saying of "I'll kill you" just had me laughing hysterically out loud for a minute straight.

And I'll second the "I'm pretty certain she's baked on a professional level"

hc5duke
05-17-2008, 01:35 AM
I found the botched proposal and her response to be frustrating. And it's not because I care if they stay together but I don't want next season to be about serious relationship angst...no drama..

I guess this is sort of the part that makes The Office a sitcom rather than a mockumentary like the UK version. In the British version, there were parts where the characters mention the show (David Brent (Michael) talking about how they hosed him on the show and Tim Canterbury (Jim) mentioning how his grandma likes Lee (Roy) are the only ones I recall at the moment). This by itself isn't important, but if this applied to the American version, Pam would see Jim's talking-head scene where he has the ring, and realize he was going to propose to her, no drama. In a sit-com, the talking-head scene becomes a soliloquy, more drama for season 5. I'm not saying it's necessarily good or bad, just an observation.

tommy
05-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Yeah thats when they have some of the funniest stuff. Dwight and Angela....nice. My favorite line in the episode was of course Michael referring to the new HR lady. "Im pretty sure she has cooked on a professional level at some point"

That was great, but I also loved the exit interview.

Michael's first question: Who do you think you are?

Answer: I'm Toby.

Ignatius07
05-18-2008, 01:35 AM

I wouldn't go that far, but it was probably the best of Season 4 (which was probably the weakest since the non-UK-imports of Season 1, in my opinion). It was especially nice because it came on the heels of a few less-than-stellar episodes in a row and the previous hour-long episodes from this season had been so mediocre. Pretty much all the story lines were funny in this one.

JasonEvans
05-18-2008, 09:37 AM
I agree that Season 4 was kinda weak. I missed Ryan around the office and I agree that some of the Michael and Jan episodes were a bit too over-the-top insane.

Still, I enjoyed the finale and found some nice moments in it. Kevin sounding like a "special person" was particularly funny. One of my all-time favorite lines in the entire show is the moment Kevin looked at the camera and said: "I won the No-limit deuce-to-seven draw poker championship at world series of poker... so yeah, I'm pretty good at poker." right before Phyllis beat his butt at No-limit hold'em.

As for this episode-- the stuff I will recall is--

"I do the numbers. You want an M&M?"

Dwight: "Pam! You are not talking to Dwight right now. You are talking to Jim."
Pam: "I'm confused."

"So, how much anti-gravity potion do you want?"

Michael: "What was the group from Scranton to make it big? Was it U2?"
Jim: "Yup."

Holly: "It was easy to get in but impossible to rise up."
Michael: "That's what she sa... yeah, lots of companies are like that."

"I don't want your foot money."

--Jason "the ending moment with Dwight and Angela... awesome!" Evans

Ignatius07
05-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Jason, your anti-gravity potion quote reminded me of one of the best quotes from the show. I can't believe nobody has posted it yet:

Phyllis: [over the speakerphone] Hi, are there any local companies that rent anti-gravity machines?
Woman: Anti-gravity machines?
Phyllis: That's right, yeah.
Woman: What do they do exactly?
Phyllis: They make you feel lighter.
Woman: [looking it up] Anti-gravity... um... anti-depressant? I could put you through to someone on that?
Phyllis: [pause] Okay.

Exiled_Devil
05-18-2008, 08:28 PM
I guess this is sort of the part that makes The Office a sitcom rather than a mockumentary like the UK version. In the British version, there were parts where the characters mention the show (David Brent (Michael) talking about how they hosed him on the show and Tim Canterbury (Jim) mentioning how his grandma likes Lee (Roy) are the only ones I recall at the moment). This by itself isn't important, but if this applied to the American version, Pam would see Jim's talking-head scene where he has the ring, and realize he was going to propose to her, no drama. In a sit-com, the talking-head scene becomes a soliloquy, more drama for season 5. I'm not saying it's necessarily good or bad, just an observation.

Good point - you would think the 'documentary' would be only 1 or 2 seasons behind the show. That would blow a lot of stuff up. Maybe they deal with that next season.

As for the UK version, I don't recall them dealing with the documentary before the special, which aired after the series ended. But I think they should acknowledge seeing the show sometime soon.

hc5duke
05-18-2008, 10:16 PM
sort of off-topic, but Steve Carrell was on SNL last night, and there was a pretty funny bit (with Ricky Gervais as well) about a Japanese version of The Office.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/20337/saturday-night-live-snl-digital-short-japanese-office

BlueDevilJay
05-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Michael's face plus his saying of "I'll kill you" just had me laughing hysterically out loud for a minute straight.

And I'll second the "I'm pretty certain she's baked on a professional level"

Thats still my favorite line from that entire show. Had me rolling when he said it. Im going to have to watch the episode again tonight on DVR as it was most definitely worth a couple of viewings at the least.