PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Plans

ugadevil
04-18-2008, 10:35 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know that today marks one year until my wedding. My fiance and I have set the date for April 18, 2009. As of now, the plan is to have it in Athens, GA...and we are considering a couple different locations in the area. She is from Athens, so a likely candidate for the ceremony will be her church, which is in downtown Athens. For the reception, we are looking at having it on campus in one of the ballrooms or in one of the quad's on UGA's famous North Campus. Hopefully, the weather this time next year will be as good as it has been this week...mid-high 70's and beautiful.

I know many of you have given me advice on the ring/proposal so I want to keep everyone updated through this process. It's been fun, a little stressful, and exciting. The combination of planning a wedding, graduating, and trying to find a job can wear a person out.

DevilAlumna
04-18-2008, 11:56 AM
I know many of you have given me advice on the ring/proposal so I want to keep everyone updated through this process. It's been fun, a little stressful, and exciting. The combination of planning a wedding, graduating, and trying to find a job can wear a person out.

Thanks for the update, UD! Despite the stress, which I'm sure sucks on a daily level, you will one day look back on this year and remember what an amazing time of your life it was. So many possibilities, so many things to look forward to!

As for your three primary tasks, the DBR OT nation can likely help you with 2 of them (graduating? you're on your own... unless there's a subject area with which you're struggling.)

What's your area of interest for your next job? What area of the country will you be targetting? Need someone to review a resume?

For wedding planning, this could get fun! (It's a long offseason.) I sense polls on what's better, chocolate cake vs. lemon/raspberry-filled; which dress (she might have to post that poll); top 5 songs that should be banned from the reception; best wedding favors ever received. You get kudos from the future Mrs. UgaDevil for taking an active interest, and we get entertaining threads. :)

blublood
04-18-2008, 12:26 PM
For wedding planning, this could get fun! (It's a long offseason.) I sense polls on what's better, chocolate cake vs. lemon/raspberry-filled; which dress (she might have to post that poll); top 5 songs that should be banned from the reception; best wedding favors ever received. You get kudos from the future Mrs. UgaDevil for taking an active interest, and we get entertaining threads. :)

Ha! I think more precisely, they would be entertaining threads for the women on the board, all of whom wish we could have a wedding again, right ladies? :D Is it wrong that I've been married 7 years and yet still try on wedding dresses every now and then? And don't tell my husband because he would totally misinterpret it?

DevilAlumna
04-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Ha! I think more precisely, they would be entertaining threads for the women on the board, all of whom wish we could have a wedding again, right ladies? :D Is it wrong that I've been married 7 years and yet still try on wedding dresses every now and then? And don't tell my husband because he would totally misinterpret it?

You may be right -- so what would the appropriate guy-wedding-related polls be?

* Best place for bachelor's bash?
* Open bar - well or top-rail?
* Honeymoon location - best place for romancin'? :D

How about a poll:

My best man is most likely to hit on:

a) the bride
b) the groom
c) the maid of honor
d) the mother of the bride
e) the flowergirl

It's far enough beyond the best spring sports events (good planning, UgaDevil!) that there's no need to be concerned about setting up a TV for viewing during a reception.

bluebutton
04-18-2008, 12:44 PM
I was probably one of the rare brides who was fairly indifferent to the hoopla. The 10 course Chinese banquet was fun--although I don't think the head table got the last 5 courses or so.

We hired a friend to be our wedding planner and it was awesome. Super low stress for us. The dress? Rented a great one she picked out. The bridesmaids' dresses? Let them pick their own out. Pretty much, if I didn't have to do it (i.e. guest list), the wedding planner did it. So I'll watch these threads, but probably won't have a lot useful to say--particularly to a groom.

Watching my brothers get married, I will say that I think it's tougher on the guys. Most bride stress is self-inflicted. Groom stress is bride-inflicted.

We got married 4 months* after we got engaged, so maybe the one thing I'd say is don't worry too much about time and timelines. You've got plenty of it, so enjoy your engagement and remember that the wedding is only one day out of the thousands you will hopefully get to spend together.

Congrats!

*We might have opted for a slightly longer engagement if both our sets of parents didn't move out of the country within a month after our wedding. My parents flew out the day after the wedding.

OldPhiKap
04-18-2008, 01:16 PM

We split the responsibilities for planning. I was in charge of the band, the liquor, and the honeymoon. She took care of the rest of the details.

It worked fabulously.

Channing
04-18-2008, 01:42 PM
I have been to 2 wedding/receptions on Herty Field and they were fantastic. North Campus has so many options you really can't go wrong!

I assume you will be in touch with Mr. Sonny Seiler about finding an appropriate ring bearer :cool:

ugadevil
04-18-2008, 02:01 PM
I have been to 2 wedding/receptions on Herty Field and they were fantastic. North Campus has so many options you really can't go wrong!

I assume you will be in touch with Mr. Sonny Seiler about finding an appropriate ring bearer :cool:

Herty Field is one of the places we're considering. The issues with it are that it doesn't look very good right now because of the lack of rain (the fountain is off for the foreseable future), the question of the weather, and the responsibility of having to plan almost everything. The positive is that it is one of the most beautiful places on campus and is the epitome of North Campus. Another possibility is the Georgia Center for Continuing Education. They do a great job of setting up their ballroom and making it look however you want it.

Ole' Sonny Seiler. I've had the wonderful pleasure of talking to Mr. Seiler, and I don't think I've ever met someone who expects people to think so highly of him because of a dog. Sonny Seiler - loved by those who've never met him.

OldPhiKap
04-18-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm assuming that you'll get married between the hedges.

Lavabe
04-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Herty Field is one of the places we're considering. The issues with it are that it doesn't look very good right now because of the lack of rain (the fountain is off for the foreseable future), the question of the weather, and the responsibility of having to plan almost everything. The positive is that it is one of the most beautiful places on campus and is the epitome of North Campus. Another possibility is the Georgia Center for Continuing Education. They do a great job of setting up their ballroom and making it look however you want it.

I would be a little leery of an outdoor wedding for a number of reasons:
1) POLLEN;
2) Rain;
3) Bugs; and of course...
4) Heat.

These were among the reasons why we didn't consider doing ANYTHING outdoors 20 years ago in April (that and the fact that we could get Duke Chapel, with choir:cool: ).

Looks like you'll avoid any conflict with that other spring pasttime in Athens... SPRING football.

Cheers,
Lavabe

CathyCA
04-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Ha! I think more precisely, they would be entertaining threads for the women on the board, all of whom wish we could have a wedding again, right ladies?

Um, no.

Having recently ended a 20 year marriage, I can unequivocally state that I will never marry again.

The next wedding I plan will be for one of my kids, if either one decides to marry.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-18-2008, 11:04 PM
As the father of a bride to be (it's only 2+ weeks away. YIKES!), this thread is very interesting to read. Once daughter and future son in law decided when and where they wanted to get married, and then changed their minds after initial plans were made, the rest was up to us. I've done much of the logistical planning, the gushy details (flowers, music, etc.) I leave to my wife and daughter. I can't believe how much flowers cost.

I'll be in Athens week after next for about 15 hours - not enough time to help you scout locations, UGADevil. Besides, you know the territory far better than I.

DevilAlumna
04-19-2008, 12:51 AM
As the father of a bride to be (it's only 2+ weeks away. YIKES!), this thread is very interesting to read. Once daughter and future son in law decided when and where they wanted to get married, and then changed their minds after initial plans were made, the rest was up to us. I've done much of the logistical planning, the gushy details (flowers, music, etc.) I leave to my wife and daughter. I can't believe how much flowers cost.

Congrats, Mr. Father of the Bride! I hope it's a beautiful event, and an even more successful pairing.

And yes, flowers can be really expensive, depending on what you go with. I said, "colorful and seasonal" and they turned out lovely - one of my favorite details of the wedding. (I think my mom was bummed I didn't go with pale pink roses, but then, I always disappoint her with my distinct loathing for all things girly-pink.)

Lavabe
04-19-2008, 01:51 AM
I'll be in Athens week after next for about 15 hours - not enough time to help you scout locations, UGADevil. Besides, you know the territory far better than I.

On the other hand, if you're in Athens, find an establishment with a Terrapin Golden Ale. You won't be disappointed, Ozzie!:D

Any 5's you're recruiting there, Ozzie?;)

Strawberries will be in season!
Cheers,
Lavabe

ugadevil
04-19-2008, 08:42 PM

Ozzie, what have you got going on in the Classic City? Are you on the campaign trail for becoming the next AD? If so, I'll be at the rally! Yes, we can!!!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
04-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Ozzie, what have you got going on in the Classic City? Are you on the campaign trail for becoming the next AD? If so, I'll be at the rally! Yes, we can!!!!!

Business. I'm going to see biopharm company Merial, and probably the fermentation development lab at UGA. Got to earn a living until I'm named Duke's next AD.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Congrats, Mr. Father of the Bride! I hope it's a beautiful event, and an even more successful pairing.

And yes, flowers can be really expensive, depending on what you go with.

Thanks. I am certain it will be successful on both points, even if parts of his family has its roots on the dark "light" side!

And I thought we were "keeping it simple", yet the cost came in at over twice what my wife "estimated" it would be when I asked.

wilson
04-20-2008, 11:47 AM
On the other hand, if you're in Athens, find an establishment with a Terrapin Golden Ale. You won't be disappointed, Ozzie!:D

Any 5's you're recruiting there, Ozzie?;)

Strawberries will be in season!
Cheers,
Lavabe

A hearty second to the beer rec. My lady and I noticed that a place right around the corner had a blues band and $2 Terrapin Goldens (!) on Friday night. We stopped in for a couple of rounds. She loved the beer so much that she bought a six pack yesterday, which we consumed on the deck while watching the Braves. What a crappy day.;)

devildeac
04-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks. I am certain it will be successful on both points, even if parts of his family has its roots on the dark "light" side!

And I thought we were "keeping it simple", yet the cost came in at over twice what my wife "estimated" it would be when I asked.

Speaking of wedding plans, how about the catering? Sami's or Angelo's? Lunch or dinner(or both:o )

OZZIE4DUKE
04-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Speaking of wedding plans, how about the catering? Sami's or Angelo's? Lunch or dinner(or both:o )

Why? You wanna pay for it? :D Just show up and enjoy it!

devildeac
04-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Why? You wanna pay for it? :D Just show up and enjoy it!

I would not even have mentioned it except for this thread and the opportunity to mention Sami's or Angelo's was just too easy then, not to mention some post-padding, too:o . Shoulda added a smilie or winkie, too:D ;) .

ugadevil
04-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the update, UD! Despite the stress, which I'm sure sucks on a daily level, you will one day look back on this year and remember what an amazing time of your life it was. So many possibilities, so many things to look forward to!

As for your three primary tasks, the DBR OT nation can likely help you with 2 of them (graduating? you're on your own... unless there's a subject area with which you're struggling.)

What's your area of interest for your next job? What area of the country will you be targetting? Need someone to review a resume?

1. Graduating shouldn't be too difficult. After this semester, I've got 9 hours to take during the summer. One upper level Speech Communication class, one general elective, and then an independent study where I'll take a trip to Maine & Boston. I might need help on the last one for fun things to do in Boston and a good way to get tickets to a Red Sox game.

2. Finding a job. I'll take whatever help I can get on this issue. My degree will be in Speech Communications, which I've attained in three years. I've had an internship in marketing/promotions and have some experience in that area. I'd love to find a job where I'm doing marketing/communications on a regular basis. I think my degree has provided me with strong writing and conversational skills, which are useful in most jobs. I'm not picky about an area of the country I'd like to live. I'm willing to consider most places if a good job is available.

3. Wedding planning - we reserved the church today. I'm pretty sure that makes the date official. I've started to ask a few guys about being in the wedding and I have 5 of 6 confirmed. I think one of the biggest parts is getting the location set and we've got the ceremony figured out. Now the reception, which seems to be down to 3 choices. Herty Field, The Georgia Center, or the Classic Center are all possibilities. Any opinions on any of those from the people who are familiar with Athens? Steven, I know you've been to some good weddings at Herty. Any thoughts on the other places?