PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Kelly

hurley1
12-12-2010, 01:32 AM
His game is improving every day. Some forget that he can shoot the lights out from 3 land. I am keeping an eye on him.

Cameron
12-12-2010, 02:32 AM
His game is improving every day. Some forget that he can shoot the lights out from 3 land. I am keeping an eye on him.

Well don't misplace him. I want to be able to find him early next week against Elon and in all other games.

:D I completely agree, though. Ryan is playing really sound basketball this season, both mentally and physically, and has especially been effective as an interior defender. Four blocks today. His length is something you can't teach, and neither is his basketball intelligence. He understands where to be before he should even be there and before that place is even there. It's uncanny, really, how good of position this kid puts himself in on both sides of the ball. There's a reason Ryan shoots 58% from three-point range; he takes only the most methodical and highest-accuracy shots. Ryan's a very disciplined player.

When Kyle graduates and Ryan takes over more of No. 12's duties as his own, we will see, I think, the true ability of Ryan Kelly begin to bloom. He's going to be a really, really good one by the time he's a senior in Durham. Albeit moderately, at least right now, you can just see it starting to happen.

DukieInBrasil
12-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Ryan has been shooting the 3ball really well this year, but what has been lacking is any real consistency around the rim. Against SLU though, near the end of the game, he had a really nice move in the paint to get a pretty scoop-lay up. He doesn't finish with contact well, but his offense overall has been efficient and his overall play has been quite good. His D has been especially noteworthy, with a nice knack for blocked shots. He can get beat off the dribble pretty easily if he gets taken outside, but that is a pre-designed feature of K's defense.
I like what I've seen from Ryan so far this year, and he looks like the kind of player who will continue to improve even as the schedule hits its stride in conference play. Go Ryan!!!

CEF1959
12-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Ryan has been shooting the 3ball really well this year, but what has been lacking is any real consistency around the rim. Against SLU though, near the end of the game, he had a really nice move in the paint to get a pretty scoop-lay up. He doesn't finish with contact well, but his offense overall has been efficient and his overall play has been quite good. His D has been especially noteworthy, with a nice knack for blocked shots. He can get beat off the dribble pretty easily if he gets taken outside, but that is a pre-designed feature of K's defense.
I like what I've seen from Ryan so far this year, and he looks like the kind of player who will continue to improve even as the schedule hits its stride in conference play. Go Ryan!!!

Good post. Kelly is shooting 58% from three, and he has 12 blocks, which is second on the team only to MP2. I'm liking the development, and I think the inconsistency around the rim will dissipate with PT and the resulting confidence. Huge upside in the coming 2+ years.

Devilsfan
12-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Ryan is playing unbelievably better than last year. I saw him call Curry into a huddle and he is always slapping hands. Every team needs a solid role player like Ryan. Go Devils.

jimsumner
12-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Ryan scores very high in the intangibles area. He has a high basketball IQ, a clear understanding of what the team is trying to do in every situation and an excellent work ethic. He's one of those players who I suspect will just get better and better.

Son of Mojo
12-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Ryan's game has really impressed me all year long. I'd love to see him hit some more shots but his defense has been the best part of his game so far. Hope to see continued improvement for the rest of the year and beyond.

Nrrrrvous
12-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Watch when Nolan or Kyle or someone gets knocked to the floor under the basket. Ryan is usually the first one there to get them up off the floor and say "Great Job!" I think he truly cares for his teammates. I love to see that.

hurley1
12-12-2010, 01:17 PM
I may be wrong, but, I believe Ryan will be a factor before March gets here. Being a 7 footer with the ability to step out and drain the 3 is a weapon few have. Coach K will milk that for all he can get out of it, I believe.

MChambers
12-12-2010, 01:28 PM
I may be wrong, but, I believe Ryan will be a factor before March gets here. Being a 7 footer with the ability to step out and drain the 3 is a weapon few have. Coach K will milk that for all he can get out of it, I believe.
His 3s are great, but I'm even more happy about his low post moves. Not a lot of the inside shots have fallen yet, but I've got to think he'll improve his 2 point percentage as the season goes on. Plus, it gives the defense one more thing to think about.

hurley1
12-12-2010, 01:33 PM
His 3s are great, but I'm even more happy about his low post moves. Not a lot of the inside shots have fallen yet, but I've got to think he'll improve his 2 point percentage as the season goes on. Plus, it gives the defense one more thing to think about.

His ability to drain the 3 opens the door for many other good things to happen offensively....it also puts a heavy burden on the opposing defense. His inside game is coming around every day. I agree with you, once he gets his inside game clicking on all cylinders, look out.

dukebluelemur
12-12-2010, 04:07 PM
His ability to drain the 3 opens the door for many other good things to happen offensively....it also puts a heavy burden on the opposing defense. His inside game is coming around every day. I agree with you, once he gets his inside game clicking on all cylinders, look out.

No offense, but you've now started a thread to tell us all he can shoot the three, and posted twice more in your own thread to re-affirm that fact. We get it, you're glad he can shoot the three.

cptnflash
12-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Ryan is 4th on the team in Pomeroy's overall offensive rating, behind only Andre, Kyrie, and Seth, albeit in limited minutes and with limited possession usage even when he's in there. I still don't quite get why he isn't playing more.

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Duke

hurley1
12-12-2010, 08:18 PM
No offense, but you've now started a thread to tell us all he can shoot the three, and posted twice more in your own thread to re-affirm that fact. We get it, you're glad he can shoot the three.

Not my point at all.......it's much more than just shooting the 3.......he is a 7 ft. inside guy that can come off of the screen and shoot the 3 effectively.......this opens the door to many, many offensive options and also creates hell for the defense.......THAT'S MY POINT........

Bob Green
12-12-2010, 08:30 PM
.......he is a 7 ft. inside guy that can come off of the screen and shoot the 3 effectively.......

Officially, Ryan Kelly (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22727&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204812453&Q_SEASON=2010) is listed as 6'11" 235 pounds. This 1" differential doesn't diminish your point, but there is no reason to call him 7 ft. when Duke says he isn't that tall.

NSDukeFan
12-12-2010, 08:41 PM

I also really liked some of his post moves vs. St. Louis and was surprised the shots didn't fall. I figured I should post in this thread since I believe I am somewhere on the executive of the Ryan Kelly fan club. I really like his game and hope to keep seeing the improvement he has been showing. I really like that he and Mason seem to be good passers for big men. That can add an offensive dimension. My impressions have been that Ryan has done a pretty good job defending on the perimeter so far, even on switches. He has certainly been beaten by some quicker players, but not that easily, IMO. I thought he, Miles, Josh and Kyle seemed to go after rebounds with a bit more urgency this game, though it may have just been my imagination as it didn't seem to show up in rebounding numbers.

dukebluelemur
12-12-2010, 09:19 PM
it's much more than just shooting the 3.......he is a guy that can shoot the 3

Since your entire point hinges on his ability to shoot the three... :confused:

(Four)

gumbomoop
12-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Ryan is 4th on the team in Pomeroy's overall offensive rating, behind only Andre, Kyrie, and Seth, albeit in limited minutes and with limited possession usage even when he's in there. I still don't quite get why he isn't playing more.

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Duke

IMO, Ryan doesn't get quite the mpg his play seems to merit because he isn't yet quite assertive enough.

He wasn't quite "ready" last season, and though already plenty talented as a frosh, lacked a bit of confidence or certainty esp on O.

Now he's added muscle, understands the O and D much better, yet still defers, understandably, to Kyle, Nolan, Kyrie, maybe others. Yet he's truly multi-talented, enough that I'd hope he "breaks out" periodically, including, preferably sooner rather than later, a stat-stuffer game [say, oh, 22 mins, 16 pts, 9 rbds, 3 blks, 3 stls, 4 assists, no TOs]. And then stays a substantial part of the rotation, maybe even starting a lot.

Along with the now-really-weird roller-coaster season that appears to be K's problem, K also has maybe a minor [?] problem keeping the 3 bigs each confident enough to contribute consistently. Or, it would suit me fine if K could somehow just have any 2 of the 3 bigs play well [enough] each game, with the just-possible intermittent solid play from Josh, too. But for team esprit as much as anything else, I do hope Mason, Miles, and Ryan are each ready to perform at a strong level more-than-intermittently if not-quite-absolutely-consistently.

loran16
12-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Am i the only one who thinks he needs to take more 3s? I'm not saying he should be taking contested shots. But there's been a few times this year where Ryan has been left alone (sometimes with the ball) behind the arc, and he's hesitated or passed before event thinking shot.

And I like that he thinks first of the pass. But he has the ability to drain that shot, and if he takes it more often when open, he'll stretch opposing defenses more. I suppose this goes to the assertiveness thing..

hurley1
12-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Am i the only one who thinks he needs to take more 3s? I'm not saying he should be taking contested shots. But there's been a few times this year where Ryan has been left alone (sometimes with the ball) behind the arc, and he's hesitated or passed before event thinking shot.

And I like that he thinks first of the pass. But he has the ability to drain that shot, and if he takes it more often when open, he'll stretch opposing defenses more. I suppose this goes to the assertiveness thing..

i believe you will see him taking more shots as we go along........

Greg_Newton
12-13-2010, 12:43 AM

Yeah, I think it's usually because when he gets the ball out there it's in the middle of the set, so he's supposed to be looking for the guy coming off the screen or something.

I really, really liked when we ran a play or two for Ryan against St. Louis, where he was the one curling off the screen to get the ball and create. I know it's a little counterintuitive to have your 6'11 guy curling off of a screen, but he could be extremely effective in that situation - plus it puts the defending big in a strange situation and pulls him away from the basket.

I almost think he could be more effective than Kyle in that set.

[ducks]

loran16
12-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Yeah, I think it's usually because when he gets the ball out there it's in the middle of the set, so he's supposed to be looking for the guy coming off the screen or something.

I really, really liked when we ran a play or two for Ryan against St. Louis, where he was the one curling off the screen to get the ball and create. I know it's a little counterintuitive to have your 6'11 guy curling off of a screen, but he could be extremely effective in that situation - plus it puts the defending big in a strange situation and pulls him away from the basket.

[ducks]

Oh, see here I disagree....I'm not sure I would like plays where he curls off a screen to take a 3 point shot. But my point was that so far, he's gotten the ball and been given way too much time to take a 3, which he's good at.

Taking 3s off a screen requires quicker reactions and often results in an off balance/three without one's feet set. I haven't seen enough from Ryan to trust him on those types of shots.

DukieInBrasil
12-13-2010, 07:41 AM
Oh, see here I disagree....I'm not sure I would like plays where he curls off a screen to take a 3 point shot. But my point was that so far, he's gotten the ball and been given way too much time to take a 3, which he's good at.
Taking 3s off a screen requires quicker reactions and often results in an off balance/three without one's feet set. I haven't seen enough from Ryan to trust him on those types of shots.
Ryan does seem especially adept at shooting set 3s and less adept at shooting when moving or creating. Until Ryan shows more skill at scoring in motion I'm not sure I'd want him shooting more 3s just to shoot them. If Duke wants to devise plays for him to get more looks outside either off switches with smaller players or work harder to get him set looks, then that would be great. However, we've got so many 3pt shooters who can shoot with some motion that I'm not sure how hard Duke wants to work for that shot from him. Maybe Ryan is adept at that type of shot, but he hasn't shown it much.

Bob Green
12-13-2010, 08:24 AM
I like the way Coach Krzyzewski is currently utilizing Kelly on offense. When Kelly receives a pass at the top of the key or high post, he looks to pass first to the interior or to a shooter on the wing. If the defense leaves him unguarded, he takes the shot. Feeding Miles or Mason in the low post or reversing the ball to an open Singler, Dawkins or Curry on the wing is taking advantage of Kelly's adept passing skills. Kelly shooting the jumper when left open gives us something we've been missing over the past few seasons - having five players on the court who are all a threat to score.

Ryan Kelly is going to score a lot of points at Duke.

loran16
12-13-2010, 08:30 AM
I like the way Coach Krzyzewski is currently utilizing Kelly on offense. When Kelly receives a pass at the top of the key or high post, he looks to pass first to the interior or to a shooter on the wing. If the defense leaves him unguarded, he takes the shot. Feeding Miles or Mason in the low post or reversing the ball to an open Singler, Dawkins or Curry on the wing is taking advantage of Kelly's adept passing skills. Kelly shooting the jumper when left open gives us something we've been missing over the past few seasons - having five players on the court who are all a threat to score.

Oh I agree. My point was just that more than a few times this year, Ryan looks for a pass, it's not there, and he keeps looking for a few more seconds unguarded. Those are times I would take the 3.

davekay1971
12-13-2010, 08:52 AM

[ducks]

No need to duck! I'm actually going to disagree only because of what a couple other people noted, that Kelly may not have the catch-and-release skills yet to shoot off screens. However, his 3 point shooting is going to make him a nightmare matchup for opposing 4s, much like Kyle is a matchup problem. The fact that Kelly is 3 inches taller than Kyle makes guarding him at the arc even harder.

I think we'll see even more of that next year when Kyle is (sniff sniff, tears starting to fall) no longer at Duke. Then we'll have Kelly playing big minutes at the 4 while Miles and (hopefully) Mason play the low post. Kelly's going to be a monster scoring threat for us as he continues to develop.

Lar77
12-13-2010, 09:08 AM
IMO, Ryan doesn't get quite the mpg his play seems to merit because he isn't yet quite assertive enough.

He wasn't quite "ready" last season, and though already plenty talented as a frosh, lacked a bit of confidence or certainty esp on O.

Now he's added muscle, understands the O and D much better, yet still defers, understandably, to Kyle, Nolan, Kyrie, maybe others. Yet he's truly multi-talented, enough that I'd hope he "breaks out" periodically, including, preferably sooner rather than later, a stat-stuffer game [say, oh, 22 mins, 16 pts, 9 rbds, 3 blks, 3 stls, 4 assists, no TOs]. And then stays a substantial part of the rotation, maybe even starting a lot.

Along with the now-really-weird roller-coaster season that appears to be K's problem, K also has maybe a minor [?] problem keeping the 3 bigs each confident enough to contribute consistently. Or, it would suit me fine if K could somehow just have any 2 of the 3 bigs play well [enough] each game, with the just-possible intermittent solid play from Josh, too. But for team esprit as much as anything else, I do hope Mason, Miles, and Ryan are each ready to perform at a strong level more-than-intermittently if not-quite-absolutely-consistently.

Back in pre-season, someone posted that Ryan may become another Nick Horvath - nice outside shot but unselfish worker who bulked up to bruise inside. I've enjoyed his development so far and think he has become more complete than Horvath. Ryan has shown a lot of intelligence in moving the ball, takes the 3 (it seems with reluctance) when open, and plays well on D.

We have 80 minutes in the two "big" positions with 4 players that are showing development in their each own unique way. Take off minutes that Kyle plays the "4" and other situations and we still have significant minutes for each player to continue developing. We'll need to improve against more physical teams, which ACC play should help, but for a refreshing change we have depth inside.

Kedsy
12-13-2010, 11:21 AM

[ducks]

I'm pretty sure the play to which Greg_Newton was referring was not a three-point shot. Ryan came off the screen, curled into the middle of the lane, received the pass and put in a little leaner from about 8 feet from the basket when the guy guarding him off the switch didn't come out quickly enough. It is a play we've been running for Kyle over the past year or two.

UrinalCake
12-13-2010, 01:06 PM
I like the way Coach Krzyzewski is currently utilizing Kelly on offense. When Kelly receives a pass at the top of the key or high post, he looks to pass first to the interior or to a shooter on the wing.

I was about to make a similar point... Ryan is excellent at feeding the post. I don't know how many times I've seen plays where one of our guards is trying to pass it to a big man inside but can't find an opening through the defenders. Ryan will come out and receive the pass, then immediately feed it into the big guy. He has a real knack for this, it's not something that will show up in the box score but getting guys their touches inside is an important part of running a balanced offensive attack.

fgb
12-13-2010, 01:41 PM
ryan's development so far reminds me a lot of battier at the same stage of his career. as a sophomore on that '99 juggernaut, shane was slightly ahead of ryan as a defender, while slightly behind him as a scorer; both seemed to be on their ways to becoming leaders and "glue guys". i remember during his senior year, the guys on the team referring to shane as their "mother hen"; ryan seems to have the same knack for bringing everyone together on the court.

not saying ryan will reach the same level that shane did, but i think the potential is there.

Devilsfan
12-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Battier? Sounds a little like coach speak. I think he is and will be a very good player but he needs to develop some quickness to play at the next level like Mr. Battier. If he does that would really, really help us.

NSDukeFan
12-13-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm pretty sure the play to which Greg_Newton was referring was not a three-point shot. Ryan came off the screen, curled into the middle of the lane, received the pass and put in a little leaner from about 8 feet from the basket when the guy guarding him off the switch didn't come out quickly enough. It is a play we've been running for Kyle over the past year or two.

I thought he was a little closer than 8 feet, but my question is was he playing the 3 (if coach K had positions) at that point? I believe Josh and Miles were also on at the time and I remember being curious of how the offense would look.

Kedsy
12-13-2010, 02:29 PM
I thought he was a little closer than 8 feet, but my question is was he playing the 3 (if coach K had positions) at that point? I believe Josh and Miles were also on at the time and I remember being curious of how the offense would look.

My personal view is the only place where positions (e.g., "3," "4") matters is on defense. And Ryan clearly has not been a "3" for us on defense this season. I also don't think just because someone runs a play a few times that a SF would typically run that it makes him a SF. Josh is good at midrange offense. Ryan can occasionally (often?) play high post or on the perimeter on O. But neither of them are playing the 3 for Duke this year. Nor should they.

fgb
12-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Battier? Sounds a little like coach speak. I think he is and will be a very good player but he needs to develop some quickness to play at the next level like Mr. Battier. If he does that would really, really help us.

i've always felt like battier relies more on length and intelligence than he does on quickness. not that he isn't quick, just that he is not remarkably so relative to the other players with whom he share's the court. his defensive positioning is still close to the best that i've ever seen, both in terms of stopping his own man, and of getting steals away from his own man. and his length allows him to be an outstanding recovery defender, which is what i think is one of the things that makes him so dangerous: his ability to gamble on the passing lanes while rarely getting beat.

shane does have remarkably quick hands, and i think ryan may share this same trait somewhat. the number of blocks that he gets, while keeping his pf count low, is pretty impressive, especially in light of his lack of playing time/experience last season. he may also have better lateral quickness than he's shown so far. again, there's no way to know how close to shane's level of play he's going to get, but i have a feeling that he can get pretty damn close, and i'm really, really looking forward to watching him develop over the next 2+ years. gonna be fun.

NSDukeFan
12-13-2010, 02:40 PM
My personal view is the only place where positions (e.g., "3," "4") matters is on defense. And Ryan clearly has not been a "3" for us on defense this season. I also don't think just because someone runs a play a few times that a SF would typically run that it makes him a SF. Josh is good at midrange offense. Ryan can occasionally (often?) play high post or on the perimeter on O. But neither of them are playing the 3 for Duke this year. Nor should they.

I agree that Ryan is not a small forward, but I thought it was interesting that he seemed to be making the cuts that our wings make on offense, while he was on the floor with Josh and Miles. I was curious while those three bigs were on the floor at once, how the team would look on offense. If positions matter on defense, one of the 3 bigs would have to have been playing the 3 for Duke vs. St. Louis, however briefly. I'm not expecting that lineup going forward, but thought it was interesting to see.

OldPhiKap
12-13-2010, 03:20 PM

Excellent analysis, right on. He is a good conduit that also can pop it if the defender sags.

He is a defensive match-up problem for the opposition, and will be even more effective as he works on some pick sets and shooting while moving.

hq2
12-13-2010, 03:24 PM
We have 80 minutes in the two "big" positions with 4 players that are showing development in their each own unique way. Take off minutes that Kyle plays the "4" and other situations and we still have significant minutes for each player to continue developing. We'll need to improve against more physical teams, which ACC play should help, but for a refreshing change we have depth inside.

I'd say Josh is going to give Ryan some comp for minutes, what with his solid D and nice jump shot. K may go with a (semi) smaller lineup of a Plumlee, Singler, and Josh, depending on the matchups. I'd say no guarantee there are two bigs out there at once all the time.

Greg_Newton
12-13-2010, 03:32 PM

Yep, that was what I meant, and I agree that asking Ryan to curl into a 3 would be a bit much. But that quick curl is great for his skillset, IMO. He's so long that he didn't even have to dribble when he got the ball, he just took an enormous step and enormous lean and his hand ended up about a foot from the basket. He's also very shifty with the ball when he gets a step on his defender like that, and he's a great passer in the event the second big doubles or a wing defender helps down. Lastly, he's great off the glass from short range, so he could fade if his defender cheated.

Granted, it was just a play or two against St. Louis, but it sounds good in theory to me - I'd like to see us give him the ball in that position more often.

Saratoga2
12-13-2010, 04:27 PM
If Ryan can screen and then roll into the high post, he would have two solid options. One is the mid range jump shot. He can shoot but I would like to see him get more arc on the ball. His shot in the last game appeared so flat that it doesn't look high percentage to me. His second choice from the high post is to pass the ball into one of the Plumlees for a layup or dunk. I wouldn't think putting the ball on the floor in the middle would make a lot of sense as his quickness is not that great. He is 6'9 3/4" in stocking feet and long, which makes him hard to handle in the high post.

JasonEvans
12-13-2010, 05:50 PM
ryan's development so far reminds me a lot of battier at the same stage of his career. as a sophomore on that '99 juggernaut, shane was slightly ahead of ryan as a defender, while slightly behind him as a scorer; both seemed to be on their ways to becoming leaders and "glue guys". i remember during his senior year, the guys on the team referring to shane as their "mother hen"; ryan seems to have the same knack for bringing everyone together on the court.

not saying ryan will reach the same level that shane did, but i think the potential is there.

Ummm, this might be a bit of an understatement. Shane Battier was the National Defensive Player of the Year as a soph.

Let me say that again-- Shane Battier was the best defensive player in all of college basketball as a soph. Ryan Kelly, though a nice defensive player, is not even one of the 10 best defenders in the ACC (to my eye).

I like the kid's game and love that he is finding ways to contribute to a very talented team, but saying he may end up having a career that is somehow comparable to arguably one of the top 5 players to ever wear a Duke Uniform seems a tad hyperbolic.

--Jason "and I know hyperbole when I see it!!" Evans

OldPhiKap
12-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Ummm, this might be a bit of an understatement. Shane Battier was the National Defensive Player of the Year as a soph.

Let me say that again-- Shane Battier was the best defensive player in all of college basketball as a soph. Ryan Kelly, though a nice defensive player, is not even one of the 10 best defenders in the ACC (to my eye).

I like the kid's game and love that he is finding ways to contribute to a very talented team, but saying he may end up having a career that is somehow comparable to arguably one of the top 5 players to ever wear a Duke Uniform seems a tad hyperbolic.

--Jason "and I know hyperbole when I see it!!" Evans

Perhaps he has not released his inner Chi yet. I hope he gets some martial arts movies for Christmas.

fgb
12-14-2010, 12:22 AM

here i have to respectfully disagree. i think not only is he easily one of the best 10 defensive players in the conference, but probably one of the best 20 (if not 10) defensive players in the nation. he will not be national dpoy, by any means; that said, i think the difference between the single best defender, and the next 99, tends to be not that great of one at this level.

ryan may never be ndpoy, but he might be. i think he has that ability.

Kedsy
12-14-2010, 12:28 AM
here i have to respectfully disagree. i think not only is he easily one of the best 10 defensive players in the conference, but probably one of the best 20 (if not 10) defensive players in the nation. he will not be national dpoy, by any means; that said, i think the difference between the single best defender, and the next 99, tends to be not that great of one at this level.

On what do you base this bold assessment of Ryan's prowess?

hurley1
12-14-2010, 12:28 AM

Does anybody see any similarities between Kelly and Lattener ?........both about 6/11.....both great defensive ball players with a strong inside defensive game.......both can step out and drain the three........kelly needs to attack the basket on offense like laettener and his game will go way up.....at least that's what i see.......

gam7
12-14-2010, 12:58 AM
Does anybody see any similarities between Kelly and Lattener ?........both about 6/11.....both great defensive ball players with a strong inside defensive game.......both can step out and drain the three........kelly needs to attack the basket on offense like laettener and his game will go way up.....at least that's what i see.......

I think you identified the primary similarity right off the bat - they are close to the same height and are/were capable of hitting three pointers. If you are suggesting that they are anywhere near the same quality of player, then I would say that such a claim is absurd (and I suspect that your namesake would agree).

If, however, you are in fact Ryan Kelly, then your comments are actually quite funny.

hurley1
12-14-2010, 03:23 AM
I think you identified the primary similarity right off the bat - they are close to the same height and are/were capable of hitting three pointers. If you are suggesting that they are anywhere near the same quality of player, then I would say that such a claim is absurd (and I suspect that your namesake would agree).

If, however, you are in fact Ryan Kelly, then your comments are actually quite funny.

I did not say they were equal.....read my post again......i only asked for samiliarities.....that's all....

sagegrouse
12-14-2010, 07:12 AM

I see a similarity between Mason and Christian. Mason runs the floor a little better, and Christian was becoming a strong finisher on offense by this time in his career. I look forward to seeing Mason develop and become a scorer.

WRT to Kelly? How about Danny Ferry?

sagegrouse

DukieInBrasil
12-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Not in my book. He does have a really sweet knack for blocking shots vs. smaller players, but he gets beat off the dribble a lot and just vs. SLU I saw him get beat to the basket or lose his man for a lay-up at least 3 times. I'm not saying that he is a bad defensive player nor that he can't at some point become a superb one, but he is by no means a top 20 in the nation defensive player. He's not even one of the 3 best defenders ON HIS OWN TEAM!!! I would take Nolan, Kyle and Seth (and Kyrie when healthy) on D before Ryan, granted each plays a different position than Ryan does, which require different D skills and assignments.

jimsumner
12-14-2010, 09:40 AM

If Ryan Kelly were one of the 20 best defensive players in the country, don't you think he would be playing more than 15 mpg?

I love your enthusiasm, but c'mon.

As for the Laettner similarities, why doesn't Kelly remind anyone of Nick Horvath? About the same size, both putting on weight after coming is as skinny wings, both can shoot 3s.

I've seen Miles Plumlee compared to Dwight Howard, Andre Dawkins with Ray Allen, Similar style of play, of course. Big guys are never the next Crawford Palmer, athletic guards are never the next Joe Cook.

I think the similarity thing can so easily go awry. I had a debate on another Duke board with a psoter who maintained that Josh Hairston reminded him of Gene Banks and could very well turn out to be as good as Banks. That's on the basis of a 12-point, 4-rebound game against an awful Saint Louis team.

Isn't hyperbole then greatest word ever?

SuperTurkey
12-14-2010, 09:47 AM
I think all of these comparisons are off the mark a tad. I, for one, see Kelly as something of a Bill Russell / Larry Bird hybrid. In that he plays basketball.

JohnGalt
12-14-2010, 09:53 AM
I'll tell you one thing Kelly has on EVERYONE:

The number of threads entitled "Ryan Kelly".

Impressive.

Lord Ash
12-14-2010, 10:02 AM
I am sorry, but there are some really ridiculous comparisons being made on this thread.

I love Ryan Kelly as a player; I think he has one of the higher basketball IQs on this Duke team, and is able to bring a dimension to the table that none of our other bigs have... size, but with hands and the ability to step outside. He is a superb passer, particularly when feeding the post. He was one of the most sought-after recruits in the country in high school, won the McDonalds 3 point contest, and now has addressed a primary concern coming in... his size.

But to compare him in any way, shape, or form to Shane or Christian at this point is just ridiculous (unless you are saying they both play basketball for Duke) and those sorts of discussions, I think, reflect poorly on the overall level of discourse on DBR. Let's keep our wits about us, folks.

BD80
12-14-2010, 10:04 AM
... why doesn't Kelly remind anyone of Nick Horvath? About the same size, both putting on weight after coming is as skinny wings, both can shoot 3s. ...

Unrealistic expectations from fans on this board ...

I do think Ryan's curve is a bit ahead of Nick's, but neither curve is parabolic. I find the comparison an apt one, for now.

There is no way Ryan is a top 20 defender. He'd play 35 minutes a game if he were that good defensively. His anticipation may be by far the best of our big men, but it is still light years behind Shane's.

jimsumner
12-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Unrealistic expectations from fans on this board ...

I do think Ryan's curve is a bit ahead of Nick's, but neither curve is parabolic. I find the comparison an apt one, for now.

There is no way Ryan is a top 20 defender. He'd play 35 minutes a game if he were that good defensively. His anticipation may be by far the best of our big men, but it is still light years behind Shane's.

To make my point clearer, I'm not comparing Kelly to Horavth. Or Laettner. I just find it amusing that most of the Player-A-reminds-me-of-Player-B comparsions seem to find current players with stunning similarities to Laettner, Dawkins, Hurley, Ferry, Hill, Brand Redick, et. al.

An athletic, mid-sized wing never reminds anyone of Carmen Wallace. No one ever compares a young point guard to Quin Snyder or Sean Dockery, a powerful post player is never the next Eric Meek or Taymon Domzalski.

And the Duke fan-base is hardly alone. UNC is working on about its 15th next Michael Jordan.

Human nature, I suppose.

camion
12-14-2010, 11:00 AM
To make my point clearer, I'm not comparing Kelly to Horavth. Or Laettner. I just find it amusing that most of the Player-A-reminds-me-of-Player-B comparsions seem to find current players with stunning similarities to Laettner, Dawkins, Hurley, Ferry, Hill, Brand Redick, et. al.

An athletic, mid-sized wing never reminds anyone of Carmen Wallace. No one ever compares a young point guard to Quin Snyder or Sean Dockery, a powerful post player is never the next Eric Meek or Taymon Domzalski.

And the Duke fan-base is hardly alone. UNC is working on about its 15th next Michael Jordan.

Human nature, I suppose.

Hope springs eternal. :)

yancem
12-14-2010, 11:09 AM

Human nature, I suppose.

Actually, Kelly reminds me a lot of Shav. I'm not sure that Kelly is quite as athletic but they post play solid post defense and have a nose for rebounding. They are both very good passers and can shoot well for big guys. I just hope that Kelly stays healthy. If that happens we may see what Shav could have been.

The Gordog
12-14-2010, 11:17 AM

Human nature, I suppose.

The current next Michael Jordan reminds me of Tony Moore.

The Gordog
12-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Actually, Kelly reminds me a lot of Shav. I'm not sure that Kelly is quite as athletic but they post play solid post defense and have a nose for rebounding. They are both very good passers and can shoot well for big guys. I just hope that Kelly stays healthy. If that happens we may see what Shav could have been.

No. Shav had some solid post moves and footwork but average D. Kelly is 1000% better from outside than Sav ever was.

BD80
12-14-2010, 12:50 PM

Human nature, I suppose.

I actually like the comparison of Kelly to Horvath, and would have raised it myself if I had not so recently invoked Nick in another thread (hyperbole being at issue).

As you mention, Nick had some skill from outside and developed the body to contribute down low. While Nick was a valuable contributer, I certainly hope that Ryan develops into an all-conference player - I believe he has the skill set and work ethic to get there.

sagegrouse
12-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Do you think there are more people named Ryan Kelly in the world than people named Kelly Ryan?

sagegrouse

tele
12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I think making comparisons to former players can be interesting and can point to areas of improvement as well as equating accomplishments, but not necessarily at the same time. Seeing a simple comparison as hyperbolic might then just be hyperbolous in itself. Barry Jacobs has a blogpost on the dbr pages comparing this years team to 91 and 92, is this hyperbole too? I guess you could say it is now but might prove prescient, let's hope so.

Kelly's game would benefit from being able to put the ball on the floor once in awhile. Like Laettner excelled at, but even Zoubek used effectively on the perimeter (just one bounce and a step toward the sideline makes it easier to hand off the ball to a guard and keeps a big on the perimeter from turning into a stone pillar). Having the ability to handle a little seems like a good thing for a player on the perimeter, triple threat and all.

Oh, I noticed some similarity between Josh Hairston and tinkerbell myself, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. May just be the way arms are extended on the jumpshot, some hitch in the shot or something. Of course Banks moved really well around the lane and as I remember, had a knack for squaring up and getting his shot off in traffic. Sometimes it's hard to say what reminds you of someone elses game in a player, but seeing similarities isn't hyperbole in my view.

Coach K compares players skills to other players all the time, he doesn't even bother with stats to back it up, Hyperbole?

Indoor66
12-14-2010, 01:22 PM
I think making comparisons to former players can be interesting and can point to areas of improvement as well as equating accomplishments, but not necessarily at the same time. Seeing a simple comparison as hyperbolic might then just be hyperbolous in itself. Barry Jacobs has a blogpost on the dbr pages comparing this years team to 91 and 92, is this hyperbole too? I guess you could say it is now but might prove prescient, let's hope so.

Kelly's game would benefit from being able to put the ball on the floor once in awhile. Like Laettner excelled at, but even Zoubek used effectively on the perimeter (just one bounce and a step toward the sideline makes it easier to hand off the ball to a guard and keeps a big on the perimeter from turning into a stone pillar). Having the ability to handle a little seems like a good thing for a player on the perimeter, triple threat and all.

Oh, I noticed some similarity between Josh Hairston and tinkerbell myself, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. May just be the way arms are extended on the jumpshot, some hitch in the shot or something. Of course Banks moved really well around the lane and as I remember, had a knack for squaring up and getting his shot off in traffic. Sometimes it's hard to say what reminds you of someone elses game in a player, but seeing similarities isn't hyperbole in my view.

Coach K compares players skills to other players all the time, he doesn't even bother with stats to back it up, Hyperbole?

Some times when I look at Hairston running I am reminded of Jamal Boykin. I think it is the way he holds his head.

Lord Ash
12-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Some times when I look at Hairston running I am reminded of Jamal Boykin. I think it is the way he holds his head.

Jamal's run was as easily identifiable as CWell's dribble.

loran16
12-14-2010, 01:31 PM

Heh, but I'm not expecting him to be the annual player who transfers due to lack of playing time.

Hairston = Lance.
Ryan is unique.....he has abilities other players have had, but he lacks the smooth speed to tie in his two key abilities (big man size and 3 point shooting) together. Only player I can think of with those two "abilities" was Taylor King, but King was a worse 3 point shooter (and would take dumb shots) and wasn't as good inside, particularly defensively.

jimsumner
12-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Heh, but I'm not expecting him to be the annual player who transfers due to lack of playing time.

Hairston = Lance.
Ryan is unique.....he has abilities other players have had, but he lacks the smooth speed to tie in his two key abilities (big man size and 3 point shooting) together. Only player I can think of with those two "abilities" was Taylor King, but King was a worse 3 point shooter (and would take dumb shots) and wasn't as good inside, particularly defensively.

I think Taylor King was a great 3-point shooter, with horrible shot discipline. Combine the two and you get mediocrity.

CEF1959
12-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Ryan Kelly reminds me of Ryan Kelly.
Josh Hairston reminds me of Josh Hairston.

Kedsy
12-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Ryan Kelly reminds me of Ryan Kelly.
Josh Hairston reminds me of Josh Hairston.

Yeah, but who does Andre Dawkins remind you of? ;)

CEF1959
12-14-2010, 04:36 PM

Dre reminds me of Bill Walton. Not as tall, doesn't look like him, plays a different position, eats meat, never played in the NBA, doesn't have the same stats, moves are different, shoots a better outside shot, and doesn't have chronic foot problems. Might be a couple other minor differences I'm not thinking of right now.

Other than that, he's the next Bill Walton. Come to think of it, I might be the next Bill Walton.
Or Nick Horvath. Or Christian Laettner. Or Shane Battier. I'm trying not to limit my game at this point in my career.

Lord Ash
12-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Oh man... hot on the heels of this, DBR has a front page piece comparing JJ and Andre?

Fine, I give up:)

DukieInBrasil
12-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Oh man... hot on the heels of this, DBR has a front page piece comparing JJ and Andre?
Fine, I give up:)

Except that they at least claimed it was a statistically based comparison, rather than just saying that Dre reminds them of Redick, and only of their So. seasons. They very clearly pointed out a few differences, too.

Regenman
12-15-2010, 07:56 PM
How about Ryan Kelly reminds us of Chris Burgess or Joey Beard....6'11, 230 lbs, perimeter game but asked to play inside at Duke.

Domzalski and Meek never had the outside game. Actually Beard really didn't either but everyone kept on saying he was the next Grant Hill so he would try to dribble coast to coast in his limited minutes (and it usually turned out ugly).

gumbomoop
12-20-2010, 01:51 AM
Anyone else catch the Ryan Kelly interview segment on this past Saturday morning's "Mike Krzyzewski Show"? [FoxSportsSouth, DirecTV ch.646, 9:30 Sat morns - they don't seem to have a video archive, sorry can't provide link] The first part was devoted to how K was planning to deal with Kyrie's absence, uncertainty of when he might return, etc. [No hints whatsoever about Kyrie's status, and that wasn't really the point of the show; rather, here's where we are.....]

Then Ryan spoke of his first year, and his present role. Very impressive, matter-of-fact comments about how he wasn't ready last year, learned from K and staff what he needed to do. What most impressed me was his straightforward analysis of his own strengths and weaknesses, and the sense that he was happy to contribute, knowing he could and would play, now and more in future. Seemed clear that he was by no means a forgotten player, got plenty of attention and encouragement from staff and teammates, was happy at Duke, and confident in his improvement and opportunities now and future. Staff obviously aware of and counting on Ryan's strong "skill set," a phrase used more than once, approvingly.

gam7
12-20-2010, 02:00 AM
Seemed clear that he was by no means a forgotten player, got plenty of attention and encouragement from staff and teammates, was happy at Duke, and confident in his improvement and opportunities now and future. Staff obviously aware of and counting on Ryan's strong "skill set," a phrase used more than once, approvingly.

Another indication of all of the things you mention above is the fact that he has started a majority of our games this year.

gumbomoop
12-20-2010, 02:41 AM
Another indication of all of the things you mention above is the fact that he has started a majority of our games this year.

It's just possible that there's a hint of gentle sarcasm in your addendum to my post, and sarcasm directed, gently, at me! If so [and even if not], I deserve it, as there's no reason whatsoever that Ryan should be considered a "forgotten" player. Maybe I was reflecting on the fact that he hasn't garnered "starter minutes," as his mpg through 10 games is #8 on the team.

Anyhow, it was a nice segment about an impressive young man.

Also, do let me restate that for those of you with access to FoxSportsSouth, it looks as if we get the K Show Sat morns at 9:30. These coach-shows are generally not so informative, but I think we get a little more from K, Collins, and Wojo.

gam7
12-20-2010, 03:22 AM
It's just possible that there's a hint of gentle sarcasm in your addendum to my post, and sarcasm directed, gently, at me! If so [and even if not], I deserve it, as there's no reason whatsoever that Ryan should be considered a "forgotten" player. Maybe I was reflecting on the fact that he hasn't garnered "starter minutes," as his mpg through 10 games is #8 on the team.

Anyhow, it was a nice segment about an impressive young man.

Also, do let me restate that for those of you with access to FoxSportsSouth, it looks as if we get the K Show Sat morns at 9:30. These coach-shows are generally not so informative, but I think we get a little more from K, Collins, and Wojo.

Definitely good natured sarcasm - I'm a fan of your posts. Just sounded like you were suggesting that he might feel under-appreciated. I was just saying that his starting (even though he's not getting starter minutes) is probably the strongest statement from the staff that he's doing something right.

dukeimac
12-20-2010, 07:06 AM
Dre reminds me of Raymond Felton and Kelly reminds me of Tyler Hans, the most perfect comparisons (yes, just copy this part of the quote).

There is no fair comparison to past players / people. Different people at a different time required to perform different roles. Kinda of like comparing a rock to a tire.

Just like comparing Coach K to Dean Smith, a different time, different schedules, different tournaments, etc. Wins are just wins, now when you talk titles, that is something worth talking about.

cptnflash
12-20-2010, 09:20 PM

Andre is the truth.

Josh Hairston is the new LT.

Everything else is just details.

hurley1
12-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Looks like kelly showed up big tonite........better listen to old school.......:D.......i really like kelly and i think he has accepted the responsibility of replacing zubek.....he will be a little different, maybe.........but, his game is excellent and getting better by the minute......in my opinion........

pfrduke
12-21-2010, 02:50 AM
i think he has accepted the responsibility of replacing zubek

Zoubek. His name is Zoubek. It has an "o" and (like all proper names) the first letter is capitalized.

lotusland
12-21-2010, 05:44 AM
How about Ryan Kelly reminds us of Chris Burgess or Joey Beard....6'11, 230 lbs, perimeter game but asked to play inside at Duke.

Domzalski and Meek never had the outside game. Actually Beard really didn't either but everyone kept on saying he was the next Grant Hill so he would try to dribble coast to coast in his limited minutes (and it usually turned out ugly).

Chris Burgess had an outside game? By outside do you mean well inside the free-throw line? Dude could not hit a free throw much less a three.

slower
12-21-2010, 07:39 AM

Ryan reminds ME of Ray Romano ("Everybody Loves Raymond"). It's the haircut.

DukieInBrasil
12-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Ryan reminds ME of Ray Romano ("Everybody Loves Raymond"). It's the haircut.
Personally, Ryan reminds me of someone who just had, hands down, the best game of his career in a Duke uni so far. Hopefully he continues to build on the quality habits he is developing.

Gorilla
12-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Chris burgess was known to be a 3 point threat in high school. I dont know what happened to his I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. once he entered college

wilko
12-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Hummm RK's doo reminds me more of this guy..

http://img.allvoices.com/thumbs/event/609/480/60776538-actor-kevin.jpg
whoops wrong one..

I meant this guy! (the one on the R)
http://attic.areavoices.com/attic/images/attic-mchale2(1).jpg

Altho - his recent play has me thinking he could wind up eventually being in the same zip code as this guy, IF he continues working and keeps improving his game.

http://www.dukecard.com/Ferry.gif

Really happy to see his progress and confidence. I hope it continues.

Devilsfan
12-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Coach K said it perfectly when he said what you get in practice you get in the game, consistency. He's not or may never be a star but he is a perfect and much needed role player who understands the game. He is an intelligent player like Jon Scheyer.

DukieInBrasil
12-30-2010, 11:23 AM
I just wanted to give Ryan a shout out. Although he didn't shoot particularly well from the floor vs UNC-G, he did score 10 pts, for the first b2b 2x-double scoring performances in a row in his career. Plus the 4 blocks is pretty sweet.
The real reason that I wanted to post this was to admire the fact that Ryan has already surpassed almost all of his statistical totals from last year (other than %s, which are all up too except a/t). His FGs made, FTs made, 3FGs made, pts, Oboards, steals (tied), blocks are all higher than last year. The only stats that are below last year's are minutes played, total rebs (32 vs 38), 3FGA and fouls. He's playing at an astronomically higher level this year than last. Good job Ryan!

hurley1
12-30-2010, 11:32 AM
I just wanted to give Ryan a shout out. Although he didn't shoot particularly well from the floor vs UNC-G, he did score 10 pts, for the first b2b 2x-double scoring performances in a row in his career. Plus the 4 blocks is pretty sweet.
The real reason that I wanted to post this was to admire the fact that Ryan has already surpassed almost all of his statistical totals from last year (other than %s, which are all up too except a/t). His FGs made, FTs made, 3FGs made, pts, Oboards, steals (tied), blocks are all higher than last year. The only stats that are below last year's are minutes played, total rebs (32 vs 38), 3FGA and fouls. He's playing at an astronomically higher level this year than last. Good job Ryan!

And, he will only get better.

Devilsfan
12-30-2010, 11:52 AM
If this team has an achilles heel it's inside, forgive the use of the terrible word "heel". With the Plumlees taking turns zoning out, Ryan and Josh are needed for help on the inside. I know it was only uncg and he was just practicing but with Seth, Andre, Nolan, and Kyle we've got plenty of shooters. Ryan is needed for our future big games playing with the bigs inside in case we get into foul trouble, imho.