PDA

View Full Version : The Official ACC Tournament Prediction Thread

BigZ
03-10-2010, 11:35 PM
With the ACC starting in 12 1/2 hours I thought I would start a thread with people's predictions. I know I am new here but thought it would be fun. I will go ahead:

Game 1: Boston College over Virginia
Game 2: Wake Forest over Miami
Game 3: Georgia Tech over North Carolina
Game 4: Clemson over NC State

Game 5: Duke over Boston College
Game 6: Wake Forest over Virginia Tech
Game 7: Maryland over Georgia Tech
Game 8: Clemson over Florida State

Game 9: Duke over Wake Forest
Game 10: Maryland over Clemson

Game 11: Duke over Maryland

DevilHorns
03-10-2010, 11:40 PM
A weird part of me wants UNC to make an incredible run to the ACC championship game to meet us there with an eye for revenge.....

with the end result of course being another 30 point beat down that just crushes any sense of life and hope in chapel hill. :D

gumbomoop
03-10-2010, 11:48 PM
I cheerfully predict that the coach of the team that loses game 3 will win ACC WCOY, and be a finalist for national WCOY.

AlaskanAssassin
03-10-2010, 11:58 PM
I predict a NCSU run to the final against Duke. Duke wins.

OldSchool
03-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Gani Lawal shows up big to carry Georgia Tech to back-to-back wins over UNC and then Maryland, and Georgia Tech punches its ticket to the dance.

GODUKEGO
03-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Gani Lawal shows up big to carry Georgia Tech to back-to-back wins over UNC and then Maryland, and Georgia Tech punches its ticket to the dance.

They have the talent but have shown to much inconsistency. There in no way they can put four wins in a row. Duke over Florida State in a repeat of last year. Semi-finals Duke over VA Tech and FSU over GT.

MChambers
03-11-2010, 07:43 AM
A weird part of me wants UNC to make an incredible run to the ACC championship game to meet us there with an eye for revenge.....

with the end result of course being another 30 point beat down that just crushes any sense of life and hope in chapel hill. :D
Part of me would like to see that too, but then I worry that playing UNC again would hurt our strength of schedule.

CDu
03-11-2010, 08:10 AM
They have the talent but have shown to much inconsistency. There in no way they can put four wins in a row. Duke over Florida State in a repeat of last year. Semi-finals Duke over VA Tech and FSU over GT.

I don't think he/she was saying they'd win four in a row. I think he/she was saying that they'd win their first two, which would get them into the NCAA tournament.

I agree that I can't see GT stringing together four really strong games. But I could definitely see them beating UNC (with whom they match up really well) and Maryland (with whom they gave a real battle in College Park). After that, I'd expect them to return to form.

whereinthehellami
03-11-2010, 08:43 AM

Game 6: VT over WF

Game 9: Duke over VT

moonpie23
03-11-2010, 09:07 AM
will the unc team get to ride the bus over ? or, if they lose, back?

OldPhiKap
03-11-2010, 09:34 AM
^^ The real question is: how many players get thrown under the bus before it leaves town?

Part of me would like to see that too, but then I worry that playing UNC again would hurt our strength of schedule.

That was too funny not to repeat.

But I hope GT puts a massive whomping on the Heels. Great to see them get trashed, great to see Hewitt win just enough to keep him around another year.

CameronBlue
03-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Game 3: UNC over GaTech

Game 6: VaTech over WFU
Game 7: Maryland over UNC

Game 9: Duke over VaTech
Game 10: Clemson over Md

Game 11: Duke over Clemson

uh_no
03-11-2010, 10:20 AM
they must have some pretty big buses over there in chapel hill......ole roy has managed to fit the entier team, and the 20k people from the dean dome under one.....

J_C_Steel
03-11-2010, 10:38 AM

I have a feeling that the Yellow Jackets could make some noise. What do they need to get in? Two wins?

CDu
03-11-2010, 10:40 AM
I have a feeling that the Yellow Jackets could make some noise. What do they need to get in? Two wins?

Two wins would almost certainly do it. Avoiding a loss to UNC might be enough. Though it still depends upon whether some teams outside the bubble crash the party and win their conferences (and if so, how many).

PumpkinFunk
03-11-2010, 10:44 AM

Definitely a win over Carolina, and I'd say they also need a win over Maryland in the quarterfinals to feel somewhat safe. To be feeling really good, they probably need 3 wins - UNC, Maryland, and either Clemson or FSU in the semis (a game against NC State in the semis does nothing if they win, a lot if they lose)

moonpie23
03-11-2010, 10:46 AM
will Ga tech take care of "old yeller"???

David
03-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Game 2: Wake over Miami
Game 3: GaTech over UNC

Game 6: Wake over VaTech
Game 7: Maryland over GaTech
Game 8: Florida State over Clemson

Game 9: Duke over Wake
Game 10: FSU over Maryland

Game 11: Duke over FSU

noyac
03-11-2010, 11:19 AM
I think the GT v UNC game will be a blow out in the favor of GT.

I just don't see Roy being able to motivate this team to actually believe that they can win the tournament and since their confidence is already so low they jsut won't show up and will play another lackluster game.

The O/U on Roy's vertigo acting up is 2.

Duvall
03-11-2010, 11:21 AM
I think the GT v UNC game will be a blow out in the favor of GT.

I just don't see Roy being able to motivate this team to actually believe that they can win the tournament and since their confidence is already so low they jsut won't show up and will play another lackluster game.

That's what *should* happen, but the Hewitt Factor looms over every GTU contest.

miramar
03-11-2010, 11:23 AM
It appears that even the Carolina fans are expecting a one and done:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/11/381610/tar-heel-fans-sing-the-blues.html

CrazieDUMB
03-11-2010, 12:24 PM
wooooow that place is empty. I guess UVA-BC in north carolina on a friday at 12 doesn't draw many people, but I think the bands outnumber the crowd.

UrinalCake
03-11-2010, 12:26 PM
wooooow that place is empty

I was just noticing that too. And what's with those rims? Even the shots that go in sound like an anvil landing on a rusty bucket.

OldSchool
03-11-2010, 12:51 PM
I have to hand it to Virginia coach Tony Bennett. His team seems well-prepared against BC on both ends of the floor and he seems to have made good use of the time he had to prepare for BC. Can good coaching overcome the loss of Landesberg?

I hesitate to pick NC State over Clemson, but does anyone else think this is possible? It's like trying to predict whether Jekyll or Hyde will show up to play.

AlaskanAssassin
03-11-2010, 01:07 PM
I have to hand it to Virginia coach Tony Bennett. His team seems well-prepared against BC on both ends of the floor and he seems to have made good use of the time he had to prepare for BC. Can good coaching overcome the loss of Landesberg?

I hesitate to pick NC State over Clemson, but does anyone else think this is possible? It's like trying to predict whether Jekyll or Hyde will show up to play.

I have NC State going all the way to the final! haha Duke will win, of course!

-bdbd
03-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I will root for (1) Duke, and (2) Whatever best serves the ACC toi look good (generally meaning to get the mnost teams into the post-seaston - go GT!)

Game 1: Virginia over Boston College

Game 5: Duke over UVA
Game 6: Wake Forest over Virginia Tech

Game 9: Duke over Wake Forest

Not predicting a lot of upsets. In close picks I tend to lean towards "who needs this win more." Friday the Wake-VPI game should be terrific. I think Clemson will be motivated, so don't be surprised if they do some damage. And, finally, MD SHOULD make the Finals, but don't be shocked if they play inconsistently and lose before Sunday (which is probably good for us) -- they've had several close wins in the current "win streak" vs lesser teams...and they shoulda lost to GT at home. Clemson-FSU could be anoither great Friday game. In the end, I have a hard time seeing a champ other than Duke or MD.

:D

Kedsy
03-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Duke over Virginia
Miami over VT
GaT over Maryland
Fla St over NCSU

OldSchool
03-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Duke over Virginia
VT over Miami
GaT over Maryland
NCSU over Fla St

OldSchool
03-12-2010, 12:17 AM
I have NC State going all the way to the final! haha Duke will win, of course!

If you're right, does NC State get a higher seed in the NIT than UNC?

snowdenscold
03-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Duke > UVA
VT > Miami
MD > GaT
NCSt > Fla St

juise
03-12-2010, 01:44 AM
I am inclined to pick all the higher seeds on Friday.

I just can't talk myself into picking NC State. I hope they do it, though.

I didn't get to see much of the Miami/Wake game, but I'm having trouble believing that Miami is decent. From what I saw, Wake was not focused and didn't seem to care. I think VT will be ready for them.

GODUKEGO
03-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Duke over Virginia
Miami over VT
GaT over Maryland
Fla St over NCSU

I agree!! Miami looked really strong yesterday. Their inside presence has me a little worried. A Maryland friend is coming to Saturday's game with me. Unfortunately, I think he will be watching Duke and GT winning. Last year he came to watch us beat the Terps by 40. It was his first time in CIS and had to admit it was a special place.

CDu
03-12-2010, 08:53 AM
I am inclined to pick all the higher seeds on Friday.

I just can't talk myself into picking NC State. I hope they do it, though.

I didn't get to see much of the Miami/Wake game, but I'm having trouble believing that Miami is decent. From what I saw, Wake was not focused and didn't seem to care. I think VT will be ready for them.

Miami can be decent. They have a very good young guard in Scott. They have a senior who at times can be an impact scorer in Dews. They have streaky shooters (Thomas, Grant, Dews, Scott, Adams) who can get hot. And they have a bunch of active, somewhat skilled big guys. The problem for Miami is that they're young and not a fully cohesive team yet. They struggled to find an identity throughout the year. With all of their young players, they could become pretty good in the next couple of years.

They certainly benefited from Wake not playing up to snuff, but Miami has the potential to put together games like last night, even without Collins.

davekay1971
03-12-2010, 08:56 AM
I'll be genuinely surprised if it's anybody but Duke and Maryland on Sunday. From February on those two teams have separated themselves from the ACC field.

That being said, my fearless forecast:

Duke over UVa
Va Tech over Miami
Maryland over Ga Tech
State over FSU
Roy's bus over the team

Duke over Va Tech
Maryland over State
Roy's sense of self-pity over common sense

Duke over Maryland
Roy's insecurity in the shadow of Deano over his ego

OldSchool
03-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Duke > Miami
NCSU > Ga Tech

Duke > NCSU

NCSU in the NIT, UNC out.

noyac
03-13-2010, 12:16 AM
I hate to say things like this but we have no excuse not to win this tourney now. We are the only team playing our second game tomorrow meaning all of the teams we will be playing should be much more tired than us.

OldSchool
03-13-2010, 12:29 AM
I hate to say things like this but we have no excuse not to win this tourney now. We are the only team playing our second game tomorrow meaning all of the teams we will be playing should be much more tired than us.

I think the key will be jumping on Miami early and building a lead.

If Miami keeps it a nip and tuck game all the way through, the emotion might carry them through the fatigue.

Remember NC State's 4 game run to the final in 2007.

I do think if we make it to the final, fatigue must be a factor in our favor against a team playing its fourth game in four days.