PDA

View Full Version : The Official Carolina Sucks and won't be in the tournament thread

Pages : 1 [2]

roywhite
03-07-2010, 12:37 PM
can't believe i'm saying this.. but tudor has the right point in the N&O today... that carolina is playing like an AAU summer squad

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/07/375008/unc-gives-up-without-a-fight.html

Indeed. Mr. Tudor, normally partial to the light blue, rips them in today's column.

But the jersey that might suit this team best would be one that has "AAU-NC" embroidered on the front. That's what these Carolina players have most resembled - a random collection of AAU summer campers.

A few of the Tar Heels can jump and dunk with the best of 'em. But when it comes to mastering the crafts that have made Duke a big winner - shooting, defending, passing, screening, rebound positioning, loose-ball chasing - the Heels actually panned out to be less impressive in March than they were in November

IBleedBlue
03-07-2010, 02:24 PM
This is height of arrogance. UNC fans don't seem to have common sense.
Now that Duke has put an exclamation mark on their season, they realized they need an elite pg and a solid post presence for next season.
But what ticks me off is their arrogance. They think if Roy offers Brandon Knight and CJ Leslie, they will accept the scholarship offers immediately. Given that Roy has built a reputation as a great recruiter, but how can you assume a kid will accept the offer at this point in the recruiting when your coach hasn't even looked at you the entire year.
Only calipari can pull something like that. I don't think Roy can come in at the last minute and swoop someone. Even for HB, Roy recruited him for several months.

MarkD83
03-07-2010, 05:42 PM
UNC has 0 available for next year and need someone to leave early (Barnes or Davis) to be at the limit the year after.

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2010, 05:54 PM
A little fun with a picture I took last night..

striker219
03-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Even for HB, Roy recruited him for several months.

UNC's recruitment of Harrison Bryce-Jordan Barnes started well before he or his sister, Ashley Jourdan Barnes, were even born. His mom started video taping MJ highlights 5 years before he was born, just in case she ever had a son. Now while I don't claim to have any inside information, I'm guessing he was probably on the receiving end of a little pressure from home to attend Michael Jordan University.

patentgeek
03-07-2010, 07:43 PM
UNC has no heart. I was really getting tired of Dickie V talking about how much passion Ole Roy has. If he has that much passion and he is that great of a coach then get the talent you have to perform. Four years ago we were the youngest team Coach K has ever coached but we always played with heart. UNC should be ashamed.

But I am loving it. There two lowest point performances of the season were against Duke. Great game tonight!!

I agree with you that we've heard enough about Roy's passion. Lots of coaches in lots of sports have plenty of passion. His inabiity to transfer that passion to his players is, in my view, a coaching failure: he either recruited players that can't be motivated, or he didn't figure out how to motivate them.

I also think that failure to motivate consistently has been a problem for him since he arrived. Let's face it - the two Natl Champ teams were loaded with talent, but both were rather inconsistent, losing more than they probably should have and keeping lesser teams in games for longer than they needed to. I always felt that the group he had from 2007-09, with the exception of Hanstravel, played hard only when they felt like it (particularly on D), but they had enough raw talent that they could typically get away with it. There were any number of times that they would sleepwalk through the 1st half, get behind to some undermanned team, then turn it on late and win. Of course, this bit them occasionally (2008 Final Four to Kansas and BC and MD last year, to give some examples).

So for years Roy has had a team culture that essentially said it's OK to have an inconsistent effort, especially on defense. When all of a sudden his team was less talented, and needed to compete on grit and effort rather than raw talent, the players weren't accustomed to that culture, and Roy didn't know how to address the problem. In some ways this season (which has made me very happy, with last night being the pinnacle) is simply the fruit of Roy's previous work (or non-work, as the case may be).

ncexnyc
03-07-2010, 09:14 PM
I love trash talking just as much as the next fan and I can assure you that my co-workers who just happen to be hole fans are going to get an earfull tomorrow, but for some reason I just can't get to fired up.

I guess that somewhere in the back of my mind I keep seeing this Karmic Wheel spinning round and round. I know when Lance got hurt, we had nearly 5 pages of posts sweating his injury in just under 12 hours. I've got this funny feeling that either this season or next all this fun we've been having at the expense of the holes is going to comeback to bite us.

I think after tomorrow:D I'll cut my hole friends some slack.

CBDUKE
03-07-2010, 09:32 PM
I keep hearing from the media and the holes fans that one of their problems this year is that they had to depend on so many freshmen. Then they say they can't wait for next years freshman class to help with the areas they need help in this year. Am I missing something here? The excuse this year is the answer next year?

Devilsfan
03-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Man up and take advantage of trashing the tar holes, they deserve it! The lack of sensitivity to our neighbors who are earthquake victums, the classless HB recruiting, the whole fake "daggumit" red neck wannabee coach. It's wonderful to see a hand picked team without any leaders and a "head"coach who forces his style on them. Boy that really worked ol' roy didn't it?

RainingThrees
03-07-2010, 09:39 PM
The real question is NIT or CBI? If the holes lose in the first round of the ACC tournament do they not get into the NIT?

moonpie23
03-08-2010, 01:01 AM
I love trash talking just as much as the next fan and I can assure you that my co-workers who just happen to be hole fans are going to get an earfull tomorrow, but for some reason I just can't get to fired up.

I guess that somewhere in the back of my mind I keep seeing this Karmic Wheel spinning round and round. I know when Lance got hurt, we had nearly 5 pages of posts sweating his injury in just under 12 hours. I've got this funny feeling that either this season or next all this fun we've been having at the expense of the holes is going to comeback to bite us.

I think after tomorrow:D I'll cut my hole friends some slack.

the only game that matters is the last game.....you don't have to talk any smack at all....all you gotta do is show up for work,....

saying nothing is worse for them

striker219
03-08-2010, 12:18 PM
The five stages of grief, Kerlina style.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/North-Carolina-basketball-fans-experience-the-fi?urn=ncaab,226545

theAlaskanBear
03-08-2010, 12:36 PM

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/North-Carolina-basketball-fans-experience-the-fi?urn=ncaab,226545

Awesome. Speaking of which, I received a few angry texts during the Duke game from some of Carolina friends. None of them are appropriate for the board, however, they portrayed certain Carolina and Duke players in a dubious sexual light.

striker219
03-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Awesome. Speaking of which, I received a few angry texts during the Duke game from some of Carolina friends. None of them are appropriate for the board, however, they portrayed certain Carolina and Duke players in a dubious sexual light.

Good times. The texts I got were as follows...

"Hey, Andy Griffith is on TVLand"

"and Godfather 2 is on AMC, great movie"

...and at halftime...

"I have to turn my phone off to charge my battery, goodnight everyone"

BD80
03-08-2010, 12:51 PM

5. Acceptance -- "If UNC wins the ACC Tourney, there is still a 50/50 chance they don't get invited, even WITH the automatic bid. That's how bad it is.

Warms my devilish heart it does.

davekay1971
03-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Counting results through Friday in the ACC tournament, Carolina now officially has the least number of wins in ACC play AND the lowest winning percentage.

So, ultimately, they are in fact the worst team in the ACC this year.

The bottom.

The cellar.

D...F...L...

And I love it. :D

juise
03-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Carolina is currently off the NIT bubble (http://nitology.com/) (and not in the good way). :)

striker219
03-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Carolina is currently off the NIT bubble (http://nitology.com/) (and not in the good way). :)

Not only off the NIT bubble, but behind State off the NIT bubble. You can't forget that part.

YourLandlord
03-13-2010, 06:39 PM
http://runningtarheelfan.blogspot.com/2010/03/nit-game-in-carmichael.html

if they can get in, they might play at Carmichael.

El_Diablo
03-13-2010, 07:06 PM
http://runningtarheelfan.blogspot.com/2010/03/nit-game-in-carmichael.html

if they can get in, they might play at Carmichael.

How convenient...probably because they couldn't fill the Dean Dome for an NIT game anyway. :)

I like how the writer claims he would rather watch an NIT game in Carmichael than watch UNC win a national championship. Rrrrrrrright...

Kishiznit
03-13-2010, 07:14 PM
It was great seeing 'ol roy at reynolds coliseum today watching his prized recruit Bullock win the state championship. Funny that he wasn't in G'boro. At best, Bullock should get 6-8 mins at an ACC school next year....but then again, it is carolina.

OldPhiKap
03-13-2010, 07:45 PM
It was great seeing 'ol roy at reynolds coliseum today watching his prized recruit Bullock win the state championship. Funny that he wasn't in G'boro. At best, Bullock should get 6-8 mins at an ACC school next year....but then again, it is carolina.

Was he wearing a Jayhawks shirt? 'Cause that's how I normally picture him when he's sitting in the stands.

GODUKEGO
03-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Duke breaks tie with UNC for it's 18th ACC tourney championship.
We got two in a row and 9 out of last 12. DOMINATION!! Coach K is one behind Dean Smith for most championships. Sour grapes for anyone who says this tournament championship is not important. When Carolina takes down their banners, then we can talk.

BD80
03-15-2010, 05:26 AM
Let's see, they got a 4 seed in the NIT, which means 12-15 teams were closer to making the NCAA tourney.

If they had only expanded the NCAA field to 80, unc would have made it!

I refuse to let this thread die away. It can keep us amused in the dog days of July and August.

kong123
03-15-2010, 07:38 AM
how many ACC Championships equal one NCAA Championship?

devildeac
03-15-2010, 07:56 AM
how many acc championships equal one ncaa championship?

18>17
:d

davekay1971
03-15-2010, 08:17 AM

Here's a better riddle: How many Helm's awards equal one NCAA championship?

According to the good folks in Chapel Hill: One
According to everyone else: Limit approaching infinity

Duvall
03-15-2010, 08:30 AM

UNC is going to get rolled by William & Mary.

kong123
03-15-2010, 08:38 AM
I hope W&M doesn't beat us, but it will be fun to see a game in Carmichael, even if it is a NIT game. I just want the season to be over....

davekay1971
03-15-2010, 08:48 AM
I hope W&M doesn't beat us, but it will be fun to see a game in Carmichael, even if it is a NIT game. I just want the season to be over....

Here's a serious question: at this point, would UNC winning an NIT title be any source of pride for the Carolina fans?

kong123
03-15-2010, 08:52 AM
no, i told a friend that i would burn the Smith center down before I allowed them to hang that banner.