PDA

View Full Version : Cat person or dog person?

hurleyfor3
12-11-2008, 11:40 AM
A vague tension between the cat people and dog people on DBR seems to bubble up from time to time. It's high time for the dramatis personae to out themselves.

Vote only for yourself, but if you're in a split household, by all means elaborate.

Cormac
12-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Totally a dog person. The bigger, the better too. I miss my Doberman :( My fiance and I can't wait to get our first. Probably just be a pound puppy this time.

duke74
12-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Love the breed...spunk, "personified."

My guy is a retired champion - did his time on the circuit, and now is the spoiled king of my house.

UVaAmbassador
12-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Dogs. Not even close. Why buy a pet thats just going to ignore you all the time like cats do?

TillyGalore
12-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Dogs. Not even close. Why buy a pet thats just going to ignore you all the time like cats do?

Cats only ignore you if you raise them that way. All three of mine are very affectionate. The boy is the most demanding for affection and always, always, curls up with me at night. Suffice to say, he is most definitely a momma's boy.

I like that cats are independent and can function when I'm not there. Thank God they don't depend on me to get home at the same time every night so I can let them out to do their business.

YmoBeThere
12-11-2008, 12:02 PM
I marked why can't we all just get along...currently I own two cats so tend to stick to that side.

bluebutton
12-11-2008, 12:03 PM
I grew up without pets and am indifferent to both, but allergic to cats.

My husband grew up with cats and had two until we got married :(

I feel really bad that he doesn't have his beloved cats**, so maybe when we get a house he have some outdoors? Does that even work?

**By beloved cats, I mean that cats to him are like catnip to cats. He reads http://icanhascheezburger.com/ daily. When we go on walks, he sees within several blocks and tries to play with all of them.

Lavabe
12-11-2008, 12:10 PM
A vague tension between the cat people and dog people on DBR seems to bubble up from time to time. It's high time for the dramatis personae to out themselves.

Vote only for yourself, but if you're in a split household, by all means elaborate.

"Vague tension"?:confused:

Fish80
12-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Dogs! I have 2 dogs, and they're excellent pets. I would lay down in front of the train for my dogs. But then they would rescue me. :)

I like cats, in the wild. My favorite cat is a bobcat. I've seen them up close in the wild, and they're like a house cat on steroids.

Personally, I think house cats are for the wine and cheese crowd. JMHO. :D

allenmurray
12-11-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't see it as an either/or. I lkie themn both, but for very different reasons. However, as my wife is allergic to cats we are a dog household all the way.

BlueDevilBaby
12-11-2008, 12:38 PM
I have had both, like both, but am an over-the-top dog person. I had a dog-sitting business when younger and without a dog just so I could get some dog time. My boys are at my parents' right now while I recover from shoulder surgery, and I CAN'T STAND IT!

However, I must say that we had a Siamese cat who acted very much like a dog (would come when called and obeyed other commands), and my boys act very much like a cat at times (rubbing me with their head, using a doggy litter box).

Lavabe
12-11-2008, 12:40 PM
I don't see it as an either/or. I lkie themn both, but for very different reasons. However, as my wife is allergic to cats we are a dog household all the way.

What he said!

Now as for chocolate chip cookies ...:D:D

sue71, esq
12-11-2008, 01:05 PM
I like both. Had both growing up (fish & gerbils too, but that's another story...).

Would love to have a dog, but currently have only a cat due to my wonderful work schedule.

Where does a cat that thinks she's a dog fit on the sliding scale? :p

YmoBeThere
12-11-2008, 01:25 PM
I have had both, like both, but am an over-the-top dog person. I had a dog-sitting business when younger and without a dog just so I could get some dog time. My boys are at my parents' right now while I recover from shoulder surgery, and I CAN'T STAND IT!

However, I must say that we had a Siamese cat who acted very much like a dog (would come when called and obeyed other commands), and my boys act very much like a cat at times (rubbing me with their head, using a doggy litter box).

BDB's title was Dogs rule. Actually it is Cats rule, dogs drool. If your cat is drooling, its probably rabid. :p

DukeUsul
12-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Cats are evil. They make my chest constrict and make me feel like I'm going to die of asphyxiation. Other than that they're ok I guess.

hurleyfor3
12-11-2008, 01:40 PM
"Vague tension"?:confused:

See posts #4 and #15. I think we need to get our cano-feline animosities out in the open.

Tommac
12-11-2008, 01:44 PM
We have both, an outside cat that is mean and an inside tan Dachshund named Duke. The dog is a great pet, the cat is just downright mean. I guess that makes me a dog person.

2535Miles
12-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Hating an animal is an utter waste of energy. Posting about it is an even greater waste of energy.

I have two cats but I also love dogs.

TillyGalore
12-11-2008, 01:48 PM
See posts #4 and #15. I think we need to get our cano-feline animosities out in the open.

It seems like there are more cat haters than dog haters. In fact, I haven't seen on post hating on dogs. Guess that means cat lovers are better lovers overall. :D

Fish80
12-11-2008, 02:31 PM
It seems like there are more cat haters than dog haters. In fact, I haven't seen on post hating on dogs. Guess that means cat lovers are better lovers overall.

Or maybe it means:

cat people are devoid of human emotion? :eek:

cat people don't tell you what they really think? ;)

cat people aren't really people at all? :D

everybody loves dogs! :)

rasputin
12-11-2008, 02:36 PM
BDB's title was Dogs rule. Actually it is Cats rule, dogs drool. If your cat is drooling, its probably rabid. :p

We had a very large cat who drooled (buckets) when he was really happy, and he was happy a lot. He was a great cat. Another great cat was his brother, whose name was Rasputin.

We're cat people (currently have four).

hurleyfor3
12-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Or maybe it means:

cat people are devoid of human emotion? :eek:

cat people don't tell you what they really think? ;)

cat people aren't really people at all? :D

everybody loves dogs! :)

Maybe cat people sometimes can't muster up the emotional investment. Just like their cats.

Lavabe
12-11-2008, 02:41 PM

I see.:rolleyes: No emoticons in either post!:D

TillyGalore
12-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Or maybe it means:

cat people are devoid of human emotion?

cat people don't tell you what they really think?

cat people aren't really people at all?

everybody loves dogs!

Whatever!!!! :);):D:rolleyes:

Cat lovers are not devoid of human emotion, just ask our families.

We are telling you exactly how we feel.

I am human. If you prick me, I bleed.

I tolerate dogs for brief periods of time.

Tommac
12-11-2008, 03:28 PM
We had a very large cat who drooled (buckets) when he was really happy, and he was happy a lot. He was a great cat. Another great cat was his brother, whose name was Rasputin.

We're cat people (currently have four).

I thought something was wrong with our cat because he drools too. When I let him sit in my lap, and rub his back, he will start "kneeding" me with his claws and drool will start flowing like a faucette. It gets so bad I have to put him down.

rasputin
12-11-2008, 05:13 PM
I thought something was wrong with our cat because he drools too. When I let him sit in my lap, and rub his back, he will start "kneeding" me with his claws and drool will start flowing like a faucette. It gets so bad I have to put him down.

Sounds like a happy cat. The kneading is, I believe, a throwback to their nursing days.

Here's something bizarre. When Andy (the drooler) died, his remaining sibs were Rasputin, to whom I referred earlier, and Anastasia. Andy's death apparently prompted Anastasia to start carrying these three toys (mice made out of felt with some kind of stuffing inside) around with her, in her mouth, and she'd make a weird gutteral sort of noise when she did so. The vet told us that she was acting out a maternal instinct (she was fixed), and that it was probably a phase she'd outgrow. Well, Anastasia lived another seven or eight years, and she never stopped carrying her babies around (my wife and I referred to them as the grandkids).

After Anastasia went to the great dairy farm in the sky (and Rasputin was on his last legs, but still around), we got a couple of kittens. One of them in particular seemed to be a lot like his crazy Russian brother, Rasputin, so we named him Igor. After Rasputin died, Igor (a male cat) started doing the same thing with the toy mice.

BluDevilGal
12-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Cat lover here! They are independent, fun, easy to take care of, and loving when they want to be. :-D

Dogs are just too demanding for me.... not a fan of a pet that will make me feel guilty if I don't give it constant attention. Plus so much work to take care of.

Lavabe
12-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Sounds like a happy cat. The kneading is, I believe, a throwback to their nursing days.

Here's something bizarre. When Andy (the drooler) died, his remaining sibs were Rasputin, to whom I referred earlier, and Anastasia. Andy's death apparently prompted Anastasia to start carrying these three toys (mice made out of felt with some kind of stuffing inside) around with her, in her mouth, and she'd make a weird gutteral sort of noise when she did so. The vet told us that she was acting out a maternal instinct (she was fixed), and that it was probably a phase she'd outgrow. Well, Anastasia lived another seven or eight years, and she never stopped carrying her babies around (my wife and I referred to them as the grandkids).

After Anastasia went to the great dairy farm in the sky (and Rasputin was on his last legs, but still around), we got a couple of kittens. One of them in particular seemed to be a lot like his crazy Russian brother, Rasputin, so we named him Igor. After Rasputin died, Igor (a male cat) started doing the same thing with the toy mice.

When growing up, we had a crazy Siamese, Sasha, that sounds like a kindred spirit to Rasputin. As ILJ says, Sasha was pure evil.

FWIW, he was definitely a drooler.

Cheers,
Lavabe

captmojo
12-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Might I suggest a cat-dog, otherwise known as a Chow-Chow. These animals have the temperament of a cat but will love like a dog, especially if they can see the Chow-treat you would be holding in your hand. For said treat, they will perform any task you can imagine. Even heavy mathematics are no obstacle to reward of the treat. The entire world revolves around receipt of the treat.

Hold no treat? Who the hell are you?:D

DevilAlumna
12-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Dogs are just too demanding for me.... not a fan of a pet that will make me feel guilty if I don't give it constant attention. Plus so much work to take care of.

That's somewhat dependent on the breed - I went with a bulldog precisely because they don't need constant attention. He doesn't play fetch, wears out after a couple of trips around the kitchen table, sleeps 20+ hours a day -- and otherwise just follows me around the house so he can keep an eye on me.

But I can take him out on a walk and not get funny looks like you would with a cat... :D

I've never had a cat, not opposed to them, just used to dogs.

CathyCA
12-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Got this from a friend today:

Canine and Feline Diaries

The Dog's Diary

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!

12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!

5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!

7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

The Cat's Diary

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.

They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of allergies. I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously mentally challenged.

The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe.

For now.

sue71, esq
12-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Got this from a friend today:

Canine and Feline Diaries

The Dog's Diary

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!

12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!

5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!

7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

The Cat's Diary

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.

They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of allergies. I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously mentally challenged.

The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe.

For now.

Awesome. :D

2535Miles
12-12-2008, 03:22 AM
Indeed.

Lavabe
12-12-2008, 06:50 AM

LOL!

The only issue I have is that my dog (err, puppy) starts her day at 530AM...

... which, as Miles knows, is about an hour after I get up.:o

captmojo
12-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Thank you, Cathy. That was hilarious.:D

I can't remember the title but I'm reminded of a psych textbook about an interplanetary alien on Earth, whose report back to his superiors concluded that dogs ruled on this planet, and the humans were placed here to serve the dog. They were responsible for housing, feeding, dressing and taking the dogs on travels. Does anyone know the title of this book?

BlueDevilBaby
12-12-2008, 09:35 AM
LOL!

The only issue I have is that my dog (err, puppy) starts her day at 530AM...

Mine do too. . hence the wee wee pads. Momma needs her beauty sleep.

Forgot to add the barking at any hour of the morning when there is no water in the water bowl. My parents got to experience that first hand this week.

YmoBeThere
12-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Okay, so cats drool too...

pfrduke
12-12-2008, 12:37 PM
I will refer to my avatar, and let her speak for herself.

Turk
12-12-2008, 03:10 PM
My definition of the perfect pet is the dog that lives next door. The young Turks get to play with him when the weather is good any everyone is in the mood, and the neighbors get all the hassle of ownership and maintenance. Got more than enough hassles on my side of the fence to go looking for any more... No offense intended to the passionate pet people; life is just simpler that way....

ohioguy2
12-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Dogs make great pets and fine companions. Cats,being smaller in general, make great targets.:rolleyes:

DukieInKansas
12-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Dogs make great pets and fine companions. Cats,being smaller in general, make great targets.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the chuckle!

I lean toward dogs as we never had cats growing up. I have no pets as they tie you down. I get my pet fix periodically by housesitting for others and taking care of their pets. Basically, I get paid for the privilege of playing with someone else's pet. :D

ohioguy2
12-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the chuckle!

I lean toward dogs as we never had cats growing up. I have no pets as they tie you down. I get my pet fix periodically by housesitting for others and taking care of their pets. Basically, I get paid for the privilege of playing with someone else's pet. :D

I am glad you realized I was kidding, with the price of ammunition now days, I would never shoot at a cat.;)

Fish80
12-13-2008, 12:03 PM
I am glad you realized I was kidding, with the price of ammunition now days, I would never shoot at a cat.;)

Oh no, don't shoot a cat - shoot the bull! :D

Lavabe
12-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Oh no, don't shoot a cat - shoot the bull! :D

Oh shoot!:rolleyes:

ohioguy2
12-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Oh shoot!:rolleyes:

Which, of course, brings us farther around the circle to "shoot the moon".:p

Fish80
12-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Speaking of moon . . .

Lavabe
12-13-2008, 06:42 PM
... we never did it, but lots of folks shoot the hooch.
http://www.shootthehooch.com/

Cheers,
Lavabe