PDA

View Full Version : Is Michael Phelps Overrated?

EarlJam
08-13-2008, 12:32 AM
We can all agree that he's doing fairly well at the Olympics, but let's look at the raw data. If we do so, I think we will all agree he is quite overrated.

First of all,

Just kidding.

-EarlJam

A-Tex Devil
08-13-2008, 12:37 AM
I agree. I mean... his first leg 4x100 time was 47.51 which would have qualified him as the third fastest time in the 100 free finals tomorrow (check the times).

But dude is too lazy to swim the 100 free. I mean, what's 47 seconds out of someone's life?

If he'd stop eating 10,000 calories a day and start swimming, maybe he'd make something of himself.

Geeeez.... lazy, man, lazy

sue71
08-13-2008, 12:42 AM
If he'd stop eating 10,000 calories a day and start swimming, maybe he'd make something of himself.

Geeeez.... lazy, man, lazy

Yeah, all that pasta, pizza, and sleeping (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/columns/story?columnist=caple_jim&id=3530989) does absolutely nothing for him.

2535Miles
08-13-2008, 01:01 AM
We can all agree that he's doing fairly well at the Olympics, but let's look at the raw data. If we do so, I think we will all agree he is quite overrated.

First of all,

Just kidding.

-EarlJam
I bet his cannon ball sucks.

lazee
08-13-2008, 01:53 AM
Yeah, all that pasta, pizza, and sleeping (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/columns/story?columnist=caple_jim&id=3530989) does absolutely nothing for him.

Dang, does he really eat about 10,000 calories a day?!!!!! :eek:

billybreen
08-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Dang, does he really eat about 10,000 calories a day?!!!!! :eek:

I totally tried that diet. I think you're supposed to complement it with exercise or something, but that sounded like a lot of work.

DevilAlumna
08-13-2008, 02:34 AM
Let's see, so far this olympics -

5 Gold Medals, 5 World Records (granted, two of those as part of a relay team), but otherwise wow, just wow.

Plus, he has a bulldog. Dude just rocks, clearly.

CameronCrazy'11
08-13-2008, 04:15 AM
I bet his cannon ball sucks.

I've always thought that the cannonball should be an olympic event.

YmoBeThere
08-13-2008, 05:57 AM
You would think eating 10,000 calories a day would help his belly flop. He's got nothing to flop...

rthomas
08-13-2008, 08:31 AM
He was just along for the ride on two of his medals. You can't count relays.

BlueDevilBaby
08-13-2008, 09:28 AM
He was just along for the ride on two of his medals. You can't count relays.

Relays counted as part of Spitz's, so why not for Michael?

blublood
08-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Although to be fair, as Mr. blublood and I were discussing last night, calling him the greatest ever based merely on number of gold medals won is misleading. Swimmers get the chance to win multiple gold medals at a single Olympics unlike, say, basketball players who only get one medal no matter how good they are.

Still, the guy is unbelievable. I mean, how is it possible to be *that* much better than everyone else in the world?

Bostondevil
08-13-2008, 10:06 AM
I have it from an insider that has actually seen Michael Phelps's cannonball that it rocks too. Apparently he can use those long arms to wrap himself into an extra tight ball that packs a powerful punch. Sorry guys, dude just rocks and sometimes life ain't fair.

I heard he's also Patrick Davidson's cousin.

2535Miles
08-13-2008, 11:01 AM
I've always thought that the cannonball should be an olympic event.
Just wait for 2012!

EarlJam
08-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Just wait for 2012!

2535 and EarlJam's secret dive for 2012:

The Iron Lotus Cannonball!

Johnboy
08-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Just wait for 2012!

Corpulent Synchronized Splash-Diving, anyone?

2535Miles
08-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Corpulent Synchronized Splash-Diving, anyone?
With guitars. I'm thinking we dive while playing guitars, EJ on the six string, me on the four. Let's see Michael Phelps play dust in the wind while converting a tandem triple lindy!

roywhite
08-13-2008, 12:53 PM
You would think eating 10,000 calories a day would help his belly flop. He's got nothing to flop...

Or maybe more than 10,000 calories a day!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08132008/news/nationalnews/phelps_pig_secret__hes_boy_gorge_124248.htm

Check out breakfast.

lazee
08-13-2008, 01:56 PM

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08132008/news/nationalnews/phelps_pig_secret__hes_boy_gorge_124248.htm

Check out breakfast.

DANG!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

If I were to attempt to eat what he eats for breakfast, I would have keeled over & be on my way to the hospital to get my stomach pumped!!!

wilson
08-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Ditto...I couldn't eat all of that if I wanted to.

weezie
08-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Check out breakfast.

When Phelps retires from swimming he can enter the Coney Island Hot Dog Eating Contest and REALLY make a name for himself.

EarlJam
08-13-2008, 03:33 PM

Check out breakfast.

Any chance this is all a ruse? Sounds impossible – like he’s trying to play head games with the competition. I heard he also smokes three packs of cigarettes a day and downs a fifth of vodka.

FWIW, I believe it. But damn. Just dayyyyyyyyyyyyymn!

-EarlDayyyyyyyyyyyyymn

EarlJam
08-13-2008, 03:34 PM
When Phelps retires from swimming he can enter the Coney Island Hot Dog Eating Contest and REALLY make a name for himself.

Indeed. Seriously, good point!

Dude's putting up Elvis-type numbers with the calories.

Years from now, we'll be comparing his to the legendary colon of John Wayne.

-EJ

Lavabe
08-13-2008, 03:47 PM
I sure hope it doesn't happen, but I have a nagging feeling that Phelps will be a judge in the next Miss Universe competition. In the 70's, he'd also be a cameo in an episode of Love Boat.

I hope he gets gobs of endorsements, but I suspect his star power won't be longlasting.

Cheers,
Lavabe

billybreen
08-13-2008, 03:50 PM
I heard he also smokes three packs of cigarettes a day and downs a fifth of vodka.

Well, you may be right about the vodka (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/08/national/main654380.shtml).

TNTDevil
08-13-2008, 04:00 PM
I sure hope it doesn't happen, but I have a nagging feeling that Phelps will be a judge in the next Miss Universe competition. In the 70's, he'd also be a cameo in an episode of Love Boat.

I hope he gets gobs of endorsements, but I suspect his star power won't be longlasting.

Cheers,
Lavabe
It's my understanding he's doing about $5M a year right now. That will only go up, especially if he get's eight. Although I doubt to "Jordan-esque" standards.

But, how much to you need?

bjornolf
08-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Well, apparently Cincinnati Bengal wide receiver Chad Johnson thinks he's overrated. He said on PTI the other day that he could beat Phelps in a swimming race. Sure, so could I. If it was the 100m freestyle and I had about a 75 meter head start. And I'd still be trying to "out-touch" him at the wall.

rthomas
08-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Well, apparently Cincinnati Bengal wide receiver Chad Johnson thinks he's overrated. He said on PTI the other day that he could beat Phelps in a swimming race. Sure, so could I. If it was the 100m freestyle and I had about a 75 meter head start. And I'd still be trying to "out-touch" him at the wall.

Chad Johnson could not beat me in any swimming race and I haven't swam competitively for a while. And I could kick his a** in golf. From a Steelers prospective.

ArkieDukie
08-14-2008, 10:37 PM
I heard he's also Patrick Davidson's cousin.

Ah, yes. That explains everything. ;)

blazindw
08-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Chad Johnson could not beat me in any swimming race and I haven't swam competitively for a while. And I could kick his a** in golf. From a Steelers prospective.

Chad Johnson could not beat me in any swimming race and I CAN'T SWIM!

Cavlaw
08-14-2008, 11:59 PM
I about fell out of my chair reading a Chicago Tribune article this morning about how Michael Phelps isn't even in the top 5 Olympians of all time and that swimming is pathetically easy next to track and field. The rationale? That swimmers can compete in more than one race in a day, but running takes so much more out of you.

I gotta think this guy hasn't ever gotten in a pool without an inner tube in his life.

TNTDevil
08-15-2008, 10:09 AM
I about fell out of my chair reading a Chicago Tribune article this morning about how Michael Phelps isn't even in the top 5 Olympians of all time and that swimming is pathetically easy next to track and field. The rationale? That swimmers can compete in more than one race in a day, but running takes so much more out of you.

I gotta think this guy hasn't ever gotten in a pool without an inner tube in his life.That's the beauty of our modern day "Commentators/Columinists/Bloggers, you don't actually have to have done the "thing" on which you comment and/or write about, you just have to have an opinion, no matter how asinine.

Back in the mid-80s, during the heady days of New Wave, I used to wear a button that said: "Nothing clever to say, just somewhere to say it."

How apropos of "news" outlets today...

YmoBeThere
08-15-2008, 10:15 PM
See his finish at the end of the 100 Fly...overexposed, maybe? Overrated? Defintely not.

2535Miles
08-15-2008, 10:49 PM

I gotta think this guy hasn't ever gotten in a pool without an inner tube in his life.
What a crock! I played football, was on the swim team, and ran track in high school. I found football to be the most demanding of the sports, both physically and mentally, swimming came in a very close second for the physical demands and I found track to be the second most mentally challenging sport. No way in the world I could put in the hours in a pool, that I put in on a track.

billybreen
08-19-2008, 12:33 PM
JLo thinks so (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26272630/):

Lopez, who appeared on "Good Morning America" Aug. 18 to discuss her preparations for the Malibu Triathlon, was overheard saying after the segment that she “couldn’t understand why everyone is talking about that swimmer,” according to a GMA source. “She couldn’t come up with (eight-time gold-medal winner Michael) Phelps’ name, and then she yammered on about how she was the one training for a triathlon just six months after giving birth, and how that was the big story right now, not ‘the swimmer.’ ”

sue71
08-19-2008, 04:29 PM
JLo thinks so (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26272630/):

Lopez, who appeared on "Good Morning America" Aug. 18 to discuss her preparations for the Malibu Triathlon, was overheard saying after the segment that she “couldn’t understand why everyone is talking about that swimmer,” according to a GMA source. “She couldn’t come up with (eight-time gold-medal winner Michael) Phelps’ name, and then she yammered on about how she was the one training for a triathlon just six months after giving birth, and how that was the big story right now, not ‘the swimmer.’

So apparently the world no longer revolves around Paris Hilton or Lindsey Lohan. We have a new center of the universe. :p