PDA

View Full Version : If you HAD to go to a UNC school, which one would it be?

ForeverBlowingBubbles
08-08-2008, 01:50 PM
All schools affiliated with the UNC school system

ForeverBlowingBubbles
08-08-2008, 01:57 PM
I missed:
Winston-Salem State University
UNC Penbroke
NC school of Science and Mathmatics
NC school of the arts
NCCU
NCA&T
Fayetteville State
Elizabeth City State (never heard of this one)

I chose App. State since I already go to UNCW

allenmurray
08-08-2008, 02:01 PM
These are the schools you left out:

North Carolina Central University
North Carolina A & T
Winston Salem State Unversity
Fayetteville State University
Elizabeth City State University
University of North Carolina Pemborke.

They all have something in common.

I didn't include the other not on either of our lists (NC School of the Arts) as it has a unique status of being both a High School and a College.

DukeUsul
08-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm currently getting my MBA from State..... so I guess that's the answer. :rolleyes:

Bostondevil
08-08-2008, 02:27 PM
I got nothin' against any of them, except Chapel Hill.

I thought this poll would be a choice of evils in Chapel Hill, you know, med school, law school, etc.

In that case, for me, if I absolutely, positively, had to get a degree from there, public health.

hurleyfor3
08-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Other: This one (www.univnorthco.edu).

Indoor66
08-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Other: This one (http://www.univnorthco.edu).

Greely is nice this time of year....

aimo
08-08-2008, 03:30 PM
I have taken classes at UNCG and have considered an online Masters program at ECU.

But, I couldn't go to hell. I just couldn't.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-08-2008, 04:25 PM
My daughter and my money went to Appalachian State. Nice school, great area.

BTW, ASU is sometimes referred to as unc-T. You know, T, as in Tweetsie (Rail Road) :D

ForeverBlowingBubbles
08-08-2008, 05:01 PM
I didn't know that... All though I have road the Tweetsie (and despite my mom warning me not to stick my head out the window because I'de get soot in my eye, sure enough, I stuck my head out the window and got soot in my eye, and it took 3 people to hold me down after we got off the train so a doctor could remove it when I was 6)... Love the town too... all though for some reason, despite being a small town - traffic can be brutal.

It would be great to go to class and then hit some of the ski trails up afterwards 3 and a half months out of the year...

DevilAlumna
08-08-2008, 08:34 PM
http://www.ncssm.edu/

But only b/c I went to a similar nerd school.

(And it counts, it's affiliated to the UNC system.)

hc5duke
08-08-2008, 08:38 PM
I got nothin' against any of them, except Chapel Hill.

I thought this poll would be a choice of evils in Chapel Hill, you know, med school, law school, etc.

In that case, for me, if I absolutely, positively, had to get a degree from there, public health.

pretty much what I was thinking. I wouldn't mind going to the med school there, and my wife will definitely be applying there in a couple years.

Another missing option - Pembroke: http://www.uncp.edu/

throatybeard
08-08-2008, 08:39 PM
These are the schools you left out:

North Carolina Central University
North Carolina A & T
Winston Salem State University
Fayetteville State University
Elizabeth City State University
University of North Carolina Pembroke.

They all have something in common.

They're the HBCUs, plus UNCP, the historically Indian school.

What do I win?

CameronBornAndBred
08-08-2008, 10:46 PM
I didn't include the other not on either of our lists (NC School of the Arts) as it has a unique status of being both a High School and a College.

It was renamed today (http://www.newsobserver.com/1565/story/1169747.html) to the University of North Carolina School of the Arts.

P.S. I picked ECU, they have a good arts program, I almost went there, but was not interested in the academics. I also applied to the School of the Arts for my junior year of high school, but they rejected me because "your art is great but grades are not". I've always had a grudge against them for that. I felt justiifed when I was accepted at the Corcoran on partial scholarship. I had no interest in going to art school to be a mathematician.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
08-08-2008, 11:04 PM
6 way tie at 15%... who will win?

YmoBeThere
08-08-2008, 11:12 PM
They're the HBCUs, plus UNCP, the historically Indian school.

What do I win?

Hmmm, no historically Asian school...didn't Pembroke go by a different name?

DBFAN
08-08-2008, 11:19 PM
so I am obviously a huge Duke fan, but I did my first year of my masters at UK, and finished it at the School of the Arts, (a UNC school) needless to say I felt like a traitor the whole time.

YmoBeThere
08-08-2008, 11:23 PM
so I am obviously a huge Duke fan, but I did my first year of my masters at UK, and finished it at the School of the Arts, (a UNC school) needless to say I felt like a traitor the whole time.

Don't worry, such sins can be forgiven...:D

throatybeard
08-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Hmmm, no historically Asian school...didn't Pembroke go by a different name?

Pembroke has had several different names, including Pembroke State, Indian Normal School of Robeson County, and Croatan Normal School.

PumpkinFunk
08-09-2008, 07:16 AM
It would have to be Chapel Hell... only because of the education. I'm at Duke for the education first, and the experience 2nd. I wouldn't be a Tarhole fan, but Chapel Hell is by far the best choice.

wilson
08-09-2008, 08:02 AM
I got a master's degree from ECU, so that was my vote. That said, I was very happy academically there, but otherwise couldn't wait to get the heck out of Greenville.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
08-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Is UNC really going to take the gold here?

YmoBeThere
08-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Is UNC really going to take the gold here?

In this situation, I am blameless me hearties

DukePA
08-09-2008, 12:07 PM
In this situation, I am blameless me hearties

As am I. I'm sticking with my beach theme and chose UNC-Wilmington. No way in the world I would ever attend school in Chapel Hell.

throatybeard
05-16-2013, 10:20 PM
I had a horrible dream where I was watching TV news and they said Appalachian State had been re-named UNC-Boone.

Turk
05-16-2013, 11:35 PM
UNC By-The-Sea!! The Turks have spent many a summer roosting on Holden Beach...

davekay1971
05-17-2013, 07:07 AM
UNC By-The-Sea!! The Turks have spent many a summer roosting on Holden Beach...

It came down to NCSU or UNC-Wilmington for me. UNC-Wilmington for the fun...there's nothing particularly bad about going to a college where, during the summer sessions, the girls are wearing bikinis under their shorts and t-shirts in class. But I took the slightly higher road and went with State. State has a good education and the personality of the students fits me well. I have some deep roots in blue-collar, mill-working Piedmont North Carolina, and, when I took some classes at State wayyyyyy back in 1995-1996, I realized that going to classes at State felt like going to classes with a bunch of my cousins.

FWIW, I also took some classes at UNC at the same time (I did some post bacc work for pre-med) and found two things: (1) UNC was easy...much easier than Duke, and, frankly, no harder than State; and (2) UNC students have no business ever calling Duke students elitist. Spending time on campus at UNC really solidified my distaste for that school.

matt1
05-17-2013, 03:54 PM
I said NC State, as it offers a decent education. Yes, Chapel Hill may be better, but I would never go there.

My uncle did go to App St.

devildeac
05-17-2013, 06:12 PM
I'd have to say UNC (School of Medicine;)) as we have a daughter there now. She's a brave young lady and a Duke grad so she takes a modest amount of grief but she can serve it back pretty well. Nice tuition, too.:D

davekay1971
05-18-2013, 08:33 AM
I'd have to say UNC (School of Medicine;)) as we have a daughter there now. She's a brave young lady and a Duke grad so she takes a modest amount of grief but she can serve it back pretty well. Nice tuition, too.:D

My answer for med school would be different than my answer for undergrad. If I had to choose a college other than Duke for getting my bachelor's, it would be State. However, UNC was my first choice for med school, as it's a great med school education AND the price was incredible for in-state tuition. As it turns out, I got accepted by UNC Med school but turned them down because my ex-wife and I both got into Jefferson Medical College in Philly and we obviously didn't want to live apart for four years of medical school.

That ended up being good and bad. By going to Jefferson, which was $25K per year more than Chapel Hill at the time, I accumulated a huge debt for the sake of what turned out to be a failed marriage. On the other hand, after that marriage failed I met my wife, who is a red blooded State girl, and who informed me that, as much as she loves me, if I had a degree from Chapel Hill, even med school, she would never have dated me. The girl has standards.

So in the end, giving up UNC Med school and accruing a big debt burden isn't a whole lot compared to finding the woman of your dreams...

DD - congrats to your daughter for her accomplishment getting into UNC Med school. It's a great school and I'm sure you're proud!

devildeac
05-18-2013, 10:11 AM
My answer for med school would be different than my answer for undergrad. If I had to choose a college other than Duke for getting my bachelor's, it would be State. However, UNC was my first choice for med school, as it's a great med school education AND the price was incredible for in-state tuition. As it turns out, I got accepted by UNC Med school but turned them down because my ex-wife and I both got into Jefferson Medical College in Philly and we obviously didn't want to live apart for four years of medical school.

That ended up being good and bad. By going to Jefferson, which was $25K per year more than Chapel Hill at the time, I accumulated a huge debt for the sake of what turned out to be a failed marriage. On the other hand, after that marriage failed I met my wife, who is a red blooded State girl, and who informed me that, as much as she loves me, if I had a degree from Chapel Hill, even med school, she would never have dated me. The girl has standards.

So in the end, giving up UNC Med school and accruing a big debt burden isn't a whole lot compared to finding the woman of your dreams...

DD - congrats to your daughter for her accomplishment getting into UNC Med school. It's a great school and I'm sure you're proud!

Thanks! She was fortunate (lucky?) enough to get into WFU also and chose UNC for $$$$ reasons, plus, I think she did not really want to compete/be classmates with her brother (our son) who just finished his first year at WFU School of Medicine, formerly known as The Bowman Gray School of Medicine. The UNC SoM also had ranked consistently above WFU SoM in various categories over the last several years, including research and primary care programs. And, yes, it does pain me greatly to have to type that on a public forum:o. She'll have next to no debt upon graduation and he will have a large one. Plus, we can only have so many devildeacs in the family;).

SmartDevil
05-18-2013, 10:25 AM
No onw nomintated/voted for UNC @Hades

weezie
05-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Well, if I was forced to go to a NC school, I'd pick The Arthur Murray School of Dance in Raleigh so my husband could learn to fox-trot.

He's one awful dancer.

devildeac
05-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Well, if I was forced to go to a NC school, I'd pick The Arthur Murray School of Dance in Raleigh so my husband could learn to fox-trot.

He's one awful dancer.

Oooh, that's where we go but it is in no way affiliated with unc except having its zip and postal codes here:D. When you come down here some time in the future, I'll save the second foxtrot of the evening for you because my wife always gets the first one:D. They also have a new studio at Southpoint in Derm now which is much closer to Duke anyway and our former instructor is the co-owner of that studio. Our current instructor taught at the Arthur Murray Silver Spring studio for about 8 years. Is that anywhere near your house that you could drag hubby to for a few months (years?) of lessons?

sagegrouse
05-20-2013, 11:37 AM
This is really easy, and no one else has come up with the right answer: UNC @ Chapel Hill -- because it is closest to Cameron and Wallace Wade.

sagegrouse

-jk
05-20-2013, 11:49 AM
This is really easy, and no one else has come up with the right answer: UNC @ Chapel Hill -- because it is closest to Cameron and Wallace Wade.

sagegrouse

Hmm - wouldn't that point to NC Central?

-jk