PDA

View Full Version : Doyel Confesses!

slower
07-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Doyel finally admits what we already know:

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/10912776/1

CameronCrazy'11
07-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Wow. Did Coach K eat this guy's children or something? Talk about an axe to grind.

DavidBenAkiva
07-29-2008, 06:45 PM
I think that my personal favorite line is about how sports writers are not supposed to root for a team. Of course, they can go completely out of their way to be absolute clowns and irate sandbags against a person or team, but they can't support them.

Stay classy Gregg Doyel!

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

SupaDave
07-29-2008, 06:45 PM
He's been determined to get paid using K's name since 1999.

"Hello, my name is Greg Doyel and it is Coach K's fault that I'm eating ramen noodles."

Seriously though, he should be flattered either way. K didn't sue his tail for still releasing that WEAK book. He got to keep his advance and it most definitely helped his career b/c his views are inflammatory to say the least.

I doubt seriously we've heard the last of Doyel...

hurleyfor3
07-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Gee, Greg, can you also promise us that if the US wins you'll get over yourself?

EDIT: This is post 1076, my "official" Bobby Hurley post!

Huh?
07-29-2008, 06:55 PM
I thought he was finally going to admit he is a homer

RelativeWays
07-29-2008, 07:03 PM
So Greg Doyel is mad because K didn't want him to cash in on a hatchetjob (c'mon, how else would they sell books when compared to the official biography). So he accuses K of being cold and manipulative of his legacy (and who wouldn't be, is Deano or Roy going to ok this nonsense?) and Doyel responds by throwing a tantrum and then a petty vendetta. I wonder if he's rationalized that people don't like him and it has nothing to do with envy either. At least I can't imagine anyone here enjoys hanging out with plastic sack that holds a specific feminine hygene product

CameronCrazy'11
07-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Would reporters be able to get away with this kind of repeated and groundless bashing of a school and its coach if it weren't directed against Duke?

SilkyJ
07-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Would reporters be able to get away with this kind of repeated and groundless bashing of a school and its coach if it weren't directed against Duke?

in a word, "no"

CameronCrazy'11
07-29-2008, 07:35 PM
just try to imagine what would happen if say Jay Bilas was that rabid in attacking Roy Williams.

sagegrouse
07-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Doyel finally admits what we already know:

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/10912776/1

Ah, the power of the confessional! There, Gregg, doesn't that feel better already?

sagegrouse

roywhite
07-29-2008, 07:57 PM
I wonder if he's rationalized that people don't like him and it has nothing to do with envy either. At least I can't imagine anyone here enjoys hanging out with plastic sack that holds a specific feminine hygene product

Any mention of his name immediately brings to mind the term you describe. And he's earned it.

cato
07-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Heh. That was a good column. And he even saved the best for last:

By the time [Coach K]'s finished the United States will have its gold, Lithuania's starting five will receive their silvers in triage, LeBron James will transfer from Cleveland to Duke and I'll be the biggest Coach K butt-kisser this side of Dick Vitale.

Unless we lose.

In which case I'll be really irritated with him.

dkbaseball
07-29-2008, 08:18 PM
So Greg Doyel is mad because K didn't want him to cash in on a hatchetjob (c'mon, how else would they sell books when compared to the official biography). So he accuses K of being cold and manipulative of his legacy (and who wouldn't be, is Deano or Roy going to ok this nonsense?) and Doyel responds by throwing a tantrum and then a petty vendetta. I wonder if he's rationalized that people don't like him and it has nothing to do with envy either. At least I can't imagine anyone here enjoys hanging out with plastic sack that holds a specific feminine hygene product

I'd be surprised if it was originally conceived as a hatchet job. The standard convention for K bios is Dickie V-style hagiography. And I don't necessarily think that K assumed the book would be unflattering. Back in '91 I wanted to write a book about Army basketball when K and Knight were there. I envisioned it as a resounding paean to both coaches and to the wellsprings of early post-WWII virtue from which they sprang. Neither K nor Knight would cooperate.

In addition to understanding the need to parcel out his time very prudently, I think K understands as well that his cooperation can result in a financial windfall for the writer, and he wants to make darn sure only family and friends benefit thusly. If Doyell has a gripe worth airing at this point, it might be that these officially approved bios from the inner circle don't serve the reading public particularly well. Then too, there may be some extra wariness about writers lingering from the Knight-Feinstein collaboration, in which Knight thought he got backstabbed after K had recommended John.

Son of Mojo
07-29-2008, 09:27 PM
"inherent Duke-ness?" My God, is this guy for real? He needs to get over himself, mainly because he's a bitter guy with an ax that only he feels a need to grind and that no one else really cares about. What a d-bag......... :rolleyes:

moonpie23
07-29-2008, 09:28 PM
uhhhh,,,,,who is greg doyel.?????

CameronCrazy'11
07-29-2008, 09:35 PM
I love how this guy is so self-important that he thinks people really care about how Krzyzewski hurt his feelings or about how he's ready to "forgive" him now. Stick to reporting, please. Or better yet, just go away.

Newton_14
07-29-2008, 09:57 PM
doyel is an idiot. He was on Adam Gold's show this morning basically promoting the article. Everything I read in the article he pretty much covered on the air this morning. I wonder if he has ever badgered Jim Calhoun for the UCONN kid (Burrell??) that slammed Christian's head into the court a couple of times during a game in the early 90's when they got tangled up and went down to the floor as play continued the other way?? That was a dirty play but no one seems to remember that one...

OldPhiKap
07-29-2008, 10:09 PM
"The U.S. uniform is enough to absolve Krzyzewski of his inherent Duke-ness, a condition marked by terminal smugness and an absolute inability to comprehend that people do not like you and it has nothing to do with envy."

I stopped reading there.

Duck Fregg Goyel.

jipops
07-29-2008, 10:30 PM
I heard his call-in on Adam Gold's show this morning as well. Seriously, is the real reason this guy has a job with CBS Sports because he is such a cartoon character? It certainly would not have anything to do with professional journalism. As evidenced from the call-in and numerous other articles written by Greg, the way he has maintained his career is by the manner in which he conducts himself. If he were to attempt to be a serious writer, he would never make it.

Talk about a seriously warped vindictive personality. Wonder what happens when someone cuts this guy off in traffic, does he run them into a ditch? He certainly never lets anything roll off his back. And if he does actually try, he's sure to write a column about it while believing someone out there actually cares. I just wasted 2 minutes out of my day reading it, don't I feel foolish. He did at least make it quite clear why K had valid reasons for wanted nothing to do with his '99 book.

Thank goodness this guy hates us. It would be so much more embarrassing than Dickie V, who at least isn't angry in life, if Greg felt otherwise.

gep
07-30-2008, 12:53 AM
I don't know, guys... but the Doyel article linked at the top, and his own link in the article under "most recently this one" on page 2... I found amusing, and even entertaining. Maybe I don't have the history with him as most of you do... but I just did NOT take those 2 articles seriously... kinda like articles you put in a newspaper or magazine to "take up space"... just one guy rambling on about his own pet peeves, desires, etc. Certainly not a "reporter" kind of article, so just treat is like it is... a back-end filler of some guy that has a problem with something. There's a guy in a computer magazine that kinda does that... always bashing something...

pfrduke
07-30-2008, 02:12 AM
I don't know, guys... but the Doyel article linked at the top, and his own link in the article under "most recently this one" on page 2... I found amusing, and even entertaining. Maybe I don't have the history with him as most of you do... but I just did NOT take those 2 articles seriously... kinda like articles you put in a newspaper or magazine to "take up space"... just one guy rambling on about his own pet peeves, desires, etc. Certainly not a "reporter" kind of article, so just treat is like it is... a back-end filler of some guy that has a problem with something. There's a guy in a computer magazine that kinda does that... always bashing something...

The thing is, he's not being tongue in cheek. He actually has had it in for K since the book snub. He does, as he admits, deliberately try to, shall we say, liven things up at K's press conferences. He's basically made a large part of his mission as a college basketball writer to cut down Coach K. And he readily admits it. And CBS (and I'm sure a good chunk of his readership) loves him for it. To which I say, "Boooooooo!" (actually, what I have to say doesn't come close to making it past the language filters here).

weezie
07-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Hey Doyley! You're ugly.

Wander
07-30-2008, 09:10 AM
I kinda like Doyel. Can I still be a Duke fan?

OldPhiKap
07-30-2008, 09:21 AM
I kinda like Doyel. Can I still be a Duke fan?

I think we follow a "don't ask, don't tell" policy in that regard.

Wander
07-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Damn, well I screwed that one up then. I'll make sure to never mention it again.

billybreen
07-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Damn, well I screwed that one up then. I'll make sure to never mention it again.

Too late. OPK will be by this afternoon to confiscate your official DBR membership card and to expedite your dishonorable discharge.

Wander, you broke my heart.

SupaDave
07-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Ummm, for the record - I'm quite sure Doyel reads these pages as well. I'm sure he gets a hoot out of this...

OldPhiKap
07-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Too late. OPK will be by this afternoon to confiscate your official DBR membership card and to expedite your dishonorable discharge.

Wander, you broke my heart.

Wander = Fredo.

"You're dead to me."

(Sorry, that's just the way it's gotta be).

If Gregg reads these pages: Dear Mr. Doyel. First time, long time. Listen, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect the fact that you get paid to give yours. Pretty neat job, actually. And I respect the fact that you do not think highly of Coach K. You are entitled to that opinion, in the same way that I detested Dean Smith even though objectively speaking many others would say my burning seething hatred of him was somewhat irrational and clinically pathological. Anywho, if you want to take broad swipes at our coach, our team, our student body, and/or our institution you have every right to do so. But please, pretty please, drop the broad brush with which you paint. If you have a beef, state the facts and let the chips fall where they may. Broad-based swipes do not forward the discussion in any meaningful manner.

Thanks, and go to hell Carolina!

Respectfully, OPK

moonpie23
07-30-2008, 04:35 PM
again......who is this greg doyel?

devilirium
07-30-2008, 09:30 PM
doyel is an idiot. He was on Adam Gold's show this morning basically promoting the article. Everything I read in the article he pretty much covered on the air this morning. I wonder if he has ever badgered Jim Calhoun for the UCONN kid (Burrell??) that slammed Christian's head into the court a couple of times during a game in the early 90's when they got tangled up and went down to the floor as play continued the other way?? That was a dirty play but no one seems to remember that one...

I think it was Rod Sellers, but you could be right.

Newton_14
07-30-2008, 10:38 PM
I think it was Rod Sellers, but you could be right.

Ok. I looked it up and you are correct. It was in fact Rod Sellers. Here is a link. Check the photo out. No doubt an intentional blow, but I am sure doyel would see it as ok..
http://www.truthaboutduke.com/encyc.php?encycid=13

Edouble
07-31-2008, 01:38 AM
Does Greg Doyel have a problem with my inherent Duke-ness?

brevity
07-31-2008, 04:45 AM
Ummm, for the record - I'm quite sure Doyel reads these pages as well. I'm sure he gets a hoot out of this...

In that case...

Mr. Doyel, I don't really care whether you stand for or against Duke. But the fact remains that you are, on a fairly consistent basis, a lousy writer.

Injecting yourself into your writing can be a useful device at times, and can even be a sports columnist's bread and butter. But it only works if people can understand and appreciate your perspective. Your work fails to achieve this basic human level.

Furthermore, you are not separated enough from daily sports reporting to portray the curmudgeon. You write as if you're trying to have it both ways -- being the correspondent and the commentator -- but you really don't succeed in either role.

Do you remember when journalism had standards? Place that memory quickly. You need to employ a different and more effective approach to your writing. Start by focusing on what you like more than what you don't; that way your readers can tell exactly where you fit in the college basketball world, if at all. Then, once your beliefs and opinions are established, feel free to rail against Duke and Coach K all you want.

Until then, stop writing for the sole purpose of encouraging rabid, ugly comments on both sides that show their moronic authors for what they are: amateur versions of you.

2535Miles
07-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Doyel can read?

Ders24
07-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Really not a fan of Doyle. This type of article just seems completely unnecessary.

Jim3k
08-01-2008, 02:42 AM
"Hello, my name is Greg Doyel and it is Coach K's fault that I'm eating ramen noodles."

I have 7-Up bubbles coming from my nose right now....wooooh!